Say No to 0870!

Options

Comments

• Holiday
    Holiday Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    surprised BT did not set up a 0800 number
    and cover all the costs
    Why BT? Are they a charity. Why not Orange Vodafone C&W Telewest O2 T Mobile etc etc
    Better still all of them together
    Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
  • King_David_2
    Options
    With very few exceptions, 0870 is ALWAYS a ripoff to the end user. The use by the DEC and the FCO is symptomatic with what is wrong with the United Kingdom. Greed above service. Disregard for consumers. Thankfully I don't have to live in the place.

Yes, it is a sad excuse for a country. I agree.
  • weatherwax_2
    Options
    Other developed countries use toll-free numbers. Only in the UK does it seem that, whatever the disaster, someone somewhere has to profit from these premium rate numbering. It is a disgrace. Yes it is insignificant in terms of the overall disaster, but still a disgrace.

Precisely.
    'Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy'.

H L Mencken
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    So if Ofcom get their way and implement option 2 which is to have all different pricing rates for different 0845/0870 numbers, how do they propose all the companies using the same block will come to an agreement?

For example, if numbers were to be broken into blocks of 1,000 for charging purposes, it would mean the following could all have different rates:
    0845 123 4xxx
    0845 123 5xxx
    0845 123 6xxx

So all services starting, for example, 0845 123 4xxx would have to assume the same call rate. Does this mean that lots of companies will be forced to change their number anyway, simply to select one charged at a different rate? ::)
  • misspriscilla
    Options
    Has anyone tried 3U.net? The PREFIX is 12911 and then dial any number including 0845/0870. You have to register, of course.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They are not as cheap as 18866 as they charge per minute. Cannot find the charges for 0845/0870 and doubt that they are charged as the rates quoted to national lines,just tried to ask them on their 0800 number,but their business hours are 0800-1730
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• marylee
    marylee Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    It's about time something is being done about the 0870 having spent ages on the queue to sky and then being cut off after 20 mins. Thanks to this forum, I have been able to use the non geographical number and 18866 for 1p.

Why are these companies allowed to use 0870/0845. These premium numbers should be banned. Martin, is there anything you could do about it? Thanks
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How do you go about finding another number instead of the 0845 numbers? I need to get in touch with Whirlpool in a couple of weeks - the office that I need is in Dublin and I have been on the saynoto site and it only lists numbers this side of the pond.

Thanks

Alison
  • digital
    digital Posts: 212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I need to get in touch with Whirlpool in a couple of weeks - the office that I need is in Dublin and I have been on the saynoto site and it only lists numbers this side of the pond.
    Use sayno to get the nmber for Head Office over here, call them, ask to be put through to Dublin? They'll either be able to do it, or not. I was put through to their 0870 (no alternative) repairers using this method.
    digital
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If I dial their head office using 18866 and they put me through to the 0845 number, will I be charged or just the 1p connection fee?

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Alison
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family