Future Energy Customers

Miss_J
Miss_J Posts: 399 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
So reading the Internet tonight I figure I must be the only Future Energy customer to not know that Future Energy had ceased trading in January.

Came home from work today to an email welcoming me to my new Green Star Energy account. Being curious about an email stating I had a new account when I had no knowledge of opening one I clicked onto it and discovered that Future Energy had folded.

Now I'm aware that Green Star Energy had been in contact however seeing as my tariff was almost due for renewal I had aleady been receiving lots of promotional letters from other suppliers and so had filed the letter from Green Star in that pile to go through when I was comparing new tariffs. Nothing on the envelope alerted me to the importance of opening it at the time.

I have, in the mean time continued my direct debits to Future Energy, they had even increased my payments at the beginning of January. So now I have made 2 payments to Future Energy since they ceased trading totalling £168.

I've read worrying comments online from Future Energy customers saying their banks will not refund the payments they've made.

Does anyone know where I stand in this case? I absolutely refuse to pay again for energy that I have already paid for. I can't believe that payment can be made into their account either.

Would appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You are fully protected by Ofgem's Supplier of Last Resort procedures. Green Star Energy will take over your account which will include any credit balance that you have built up with the failed supplier. Green Star Energy will have paid something towards their 'purchase' of Future Energy's customers. Any additional costs that Green Star Energy incurs will be covered by Ofgem through what is known as the Consumer Levy which is a cost added to all consumer bills.

In sum, you will not lose any money as a result of this failure.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

All suppliers will be offering to fit smart meters very soon anyway.
    BG s All Online 2019 tariff is very popular with people who put reliability over the tariff tarts grabbing at the lowest bidders offerings.

As has been pointed out to you MANY times, this is a money saving site !
    BG is only popular because of the lazy majority who either have more money than sense or are too dim to understand utility tariffs.:(
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    brewerdave wrote: »
    As has been pointed out to you MANY times, this is a money saving site !
    BG is only popular because of the lazy majority who either have more money than sense or are too dim to understand utility tariffs.:(

And what does this have to do with Future Energy Customers?
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Merlin139 wrote: »
    And what does this have to do with Future Energy Customers?

I was replying to another rant by Housemartin re the wonders of BG - he appears to have removed his post!!
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hengus wrote: »
    You are fully protected by Ofgem's Supplier of Last Resort procedures. Green Star Energy will take over your account which will include any credit balance that you have built up with the failed supplier. Green Star Energy will have paid something towards their 'purchase' of Future Energy's customers. Any additional costs that Green Star Energy incurs will be covered by Ofgem through what is known as the Consumer Levy which is a cost added to all consumer bills.

In sum, you will not lose any money as a result of this failure.

Green Star are a joke, you can't contact them on the phone and they're refusing to refund me money owed from Future Energy (switching away in September) as they can't locate me on their database. They said to call my current provider instead.

They owe me about £200.
  • System
    andrewmp wrote: »
    Green Star are a joke, you can't contact them on the phone and they're refusing to refund me money owed from Future Energy (switching away in September) as they can't locate me on their database. They said to call my current provider instead.

They owe me about £200.

Raise a written complaint with all the details that you have. I assume that you have a Final Bill from Future Energy which shows the amount due? This has nothing to do with your present supplier. Wait 8 weeks or for Deadlock and refer the matter to The Energy Ombudsman.

I got my refund from the Coop after I had switched away from GBEnergy but 6 months hadn't elapsed which I suspect is at the root of your problem.
  • andrewmp
    Raise a written complaint with all the details that you have. I assume that you have a Final Bill from Future Energy which shows the amount due? This has nothing to do with your present supplier. Wait 8 weeks or for Deadlock and refer the matter to The Energy Ombudsman.

I got my refund from the Coop after I had switched away from GBEnergy but 6 months hadn't elapsed which I suspect is at the root of your problem.

I have raised a written complain, but no I do not have a final bill as they would not produce one due to "system issues". In reality they had no money.

Green Star say I can't reach deadlock as they don't know who I am and I can't be escalated.
  • System
    andrewmp wrote: »
    I have raised a written complain, but no I do not have a final bill as they would not produce one due to "system issues". In reality they had no money.

Green Star say I can't reach deadlock as they don't know who I am and I can't be escalated.

Call Ombudsman Services or Citizens Advice. They should be able to tell you how best to take this claim forward. Best of luck.
  • Miss_J
    Miss_J Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the reply.

Contacted my bank tonight and they have immediately refunded me the money. Not yet got through to Green Star to see if my direct debit will continue at the same rate.

Future Energy had written to me in January to inform me they were raising my direct debit payments by a few pounds but they didn't supply me with a bill. I do however have my bill from December showing £140 credit (after this cold winter) I'm not sure if I'm still in credit.

I'm happy to continue paying my direct debit to Green Star in the meantime and waiting for them to go through accounts to see if I'm still in a credit balance.
  • andrewmp
    Call Ombudsman Services or Citizens Advice. They should be able to tell you how best to take this claim forward. Best of luck.

Thanks, I had a claim going through Ombudsman Services against Future Energy, they were just about to rule in my favour when they went into administration. At this point they couldn't enforce their decision upon them anymore and I was told to contact Green Star who would refund me. They say they don't have my details and can't help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure