VW 2013 losing power

Options
laingn
laingn Posts: 61 Forumite
Hi All,

Looking for some advice. Just had my 13 plate polo in for a minor service and MOT and sailed through with no warnings or advisory's. Had the car from new and just hit 24k on the clock. The last couple of days when I've started it, it was fine but after 30 seconds or a minute it feels like it is losing power and the rev counter drops.

If I rev the engine it is fine. It cut out the first time but started ok. I give it a run on the motorway once a week or every ten days but generally it only does a few miles a day. No lights or warnings on the dash.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 March 2018 at 11:06AM
    Options
    Has it got stop start?
    If so , look at the status in the menu, if it's not available then it states why, and can be an indication of something wrong.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it petrol or diesel?

Sudden loss of power and then getting it back would suggest issue with boost on the turbo but this would come up as a light usually.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you saying it loses power at idle. It is quite normal for a car to start, idle at high revs and then once the electronics decide things are tickety-boo drop the revs. So a petrol car might idle at say 800 revs to warm up and then drop down to say 500 revs once it is happy.

You might notice it more after a service if they have reset and the car is still finding its happy place.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    If it's just started doing this after the service I would go back to the garage for them to have a look, could be something was knocked whilst they had it in.

Also consider, given the low miles you do, using a few tanks of premium fuel or adding a bottle of fuel system cleaner into the tank (opinion varies on this but I have had good results with BG44K and Archoil additives).
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Petrol or diesel?
    Which engine?
    Main dealer or independent service?
  • laingn
    Options
    Hi All,

Just back from a jaunt along the motorway for 20 to 25 miles and it runs fine and no signs of any issues when it started or stopping at lights etc.

It's a petrol car 1.2 so I think 1198 cc

It was taken to Arnold Clark where I've had it done the past 2 years for friends and family discount.

Its really strange starts fine, revs about 800 then drops to like 200 to 300 like it's trying to catch it's cut out once but then restarted fine and then no issues.

Sitting at 70 - 75 miles on the M8 revs were running slightly higher than I have noticed before just over the 3000

thanks for all your suggestions i will get a bottle of addictive to pop in the fuel tank and see if it helps

Natasha
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Revs whilst driving are dependant on gearing, so a service will not affect the revs for any given speed - the only thing that will affect that is the selected gear.
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Has it gone into "limp home" mode?

We had a Touran that did that several times over its lifetime for no fathomable reason, always within 1/2 mile of home, usually uphill.

The solution was "switch it off, and on again". That reset limp home mode every time, and it could be months until it happened again.
  • laingn
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. Its just really strange it's just been the last few days. Will try some addictive and if it continues will get it looked at. Hard to describe to a garage though with no warnings lights on etc
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    laingn wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just back from a jaunt along the motorway for 20 to 25 miles and it runs fine and no signs of any issues when it started or stopping at lights etc.

It's a petrol car 1.2 so I think 1198 cc

It was taken to Arnold Clark where I've had it done the past 2 years for friends and family discount.

Its really strange starts fine, revs about 800 then drops to like 200 to 300 like it's trying to catch it's cut out once but then restarted fine and then no issues.

Sitting at 70 - 75 miles on the M8 revs were running slightly higher than I have noticed before just over the 3000

thanks for all your suggestions i will get a bottle of addictive to pop in the fuel tank and see if it helps

Natasha
    OK, so it is just an idle problem. Have a word with the service agent. They can tell you whether the service did anything to the car (e.g. a software update).

To be honest, it sounds to me like you had an unexpected stall (that happens so rarely on modern cars) and then you are listening for issues that may have already been there and are not actually problems at all! The rev behaviour you describe is what most cars would be expected to do - fast idle after a cold start, settling down to a normal idle.

It is not unusual for cars to behave differently after services. Things get reset, and then the car has to rework out its own optimal settings from a "safe" starting point. However, if you are not convinced that things have settled down after a week or two, then have a chat with the dealer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure