Paypal policy

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What about The Better Business Bureau?

They cover Canada. Perhaps they can help you.
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I think you're completely misunderstanding what PayPal is.
  • Estelle77
    Estelle77 Posts: 74 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2018 at 1:11AM
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Paypal are not the seller, so no they are not.
    And as the seller is also outside the EU, you have little chance of getting them to cough up for the postage.
    Did you tell Paypal the item was counterfeit?

Yes, I told them repeatedly (maybe 7 times in a number of messages to which different people responded) that it was a fake/counterfeit item.
    It was Paypal that made me to send the item back so I had the chance for refund of the original cost. They recovered this original cost but their policy neglects the customers who have to bear the charge of sending the faulty item back. I consider this policy wrong. Only now they have this opt in system of 'return on us', which I find cheeky as it should be automatic for all such cases.

If the Paypal has the powers to recover the cost of the original item from the seller selling faulty or bogus items to the customers they should also have the powers to recover the postal charge for posting faulty item back to the seller. It should be their policy if they are serious about the 'buyers protection'.
  • Estelle77
    KeithP wrote: »
    What about The Better Business Bureau?

They cover Canada. Perhaps they can help you.

Nice suggestion, thanks.
    But I am not sure what they can do when the address given to me by Paypal to send the item back to Canada was deemed as wrong by the postal service (based on the international tracking info). The item was not delivered back. It certainly is a dodgy seller and Papal could have known better and be more careful after I flagged this in my very first contact to them regarding this case.
    It appears the company does not operate legally at that address and it is some Chinese bogus business since the item came from Hong Kong. Nothing suggested this when I made the purchase.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Estelle77 wrote: »
    If the Paypal has the powers to recover the cost of the original item from the seller selling faulty or bogus items to the customers they should also have the powers to recover the postal charge for posting faulty item back to the seller. It should be their policy if they are serious about the 'buyers protection'.

Whether or not it should be, their policy clearly isn't.

Significantly Not as Described
    – You received an item but it was significantly different from the seller’s original description. (You might have to pay return shipping costs, but may be eligible for Return Shipping on Us. Activate Return Shipping on Us before filing your dispute to qualify for the benefit.)

It appears the company does not operate legally at that address and it is some Chinese bogus business since the item came from Hong Kong. Nothing suggested this when I made the purchase.

Just to point out that although in this instance it probably is some kind of scam (no genuine business will send out counterfeit goods), just because the item comes from HK doesn't automatically make it so. They could be dropshipping and the person behind it lives in Canada.
  • KeithP
    But I am not sure what they can do when the address given to me by Paypal to send the item back to Canada was deemed as wrong by the postal service (based on the international tracking info).

...and you'll never know unless you ask them, will you?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, I told them repeatedly (maybe 7 times in a number of messages to which different people responded) that it was a fake/counterfeit item.
    It was Paypal that made me to send the item back so I had the chance for refund of the original cost.

If you provide evidence (proper evidence and not just your opinion) that an item you purchase using Paypal as the payment intermediary, then Paypal will act accordingly. This can include instructing you to dispose of the item - Paypal will not require you to send it back. They explain this in the seller protection part of their policy. Clearly, you've not convinced them and/or provided credible evidence to support your allegation.

They recovered this original cost but their policy neglects the customers who have to bear the charge of sending the faulty item back. I consider this policy wrong. Only now they have this opt in system of 'return on us', which I find cheeky as it should be automatic for all such cases.

Paypal are not empowered to recover returns charges as they don't have access to monies that have not passed through their payment processor.

If a seller received £100 for a sale, Paypal have the ability to reclaim the £100 for 180 days after the transaction date. If they require a buyer to return the item to the seller following a dispute, the only monies Paypal can return to the buyer are the monies given in the sale, the £100.

They cannot access anything else as it was never there to access. This is why they provide the "returns on us" (ROU) scheme, to assist buyers.

If you feel that the ROU scheme isn't adequate you should use a payment service that suits your requirements.

Bearing in mind your purchase was not covered by EU legislation, you perhaps should have thought about using a credit or debit card giving you different options in case of issues with the purchase.
  • discat11
    discat11 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    In answer to your latter question & additional to the answer you received earlier in regards to pay not being responsible.
    The DSR /CCR regulations don't count for items purchased outside of the EU and after brexit won't apply to diddly squat if the UK doesn't get an agreement on that also.
  • Estelle77
    Thanks for your answers. I have learned something new (about what Paypal can recover).

To address one argument - that I have not convinced Paypal the item was counterfeit - they did not even ask! I offered them the photos, very detailed ones, they never asked for them. And it was not possible to upload them to the message I used to communicate with them - on their own website. I described in what condition it arrived, what it looked like, that the PC did not register it like it did the previous original item... I was happy to post it to them for examination or wherever it would be needed. They did not care.
    They only asked me to fax the documents of returning postage, with half incomplete message (failed to fill in the date for deadline and not providing details for uploading despite mentioning it as one of the options). I don't have access to a fax as easily. I had to write to them again and ask for the stupid instructions how to upload the documents. Then they gave me the instructions with a link and everything. This is their practice: I give a specific question and they come with generic answer which is often not even relevant - like now, suggesting to register for the ROU service, for the second time, after I briefly described the problem and from which it was apparent this repeated advice was irrelevant.

And since the item was aroung £50 worth, credit card wold be even worse solution.
  • KeithP
    And since the item was aroung £50 worth, credit card wold be even worse solution.

Why's that then?

Have you considered a chargeback?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family