Conundrum: Pedestrians on a narrow country road with no footpaths - who gives way?

Options

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    A Finnish study found that the "mean effect of facing traffic compared to walking with traffic was a 77% decrease in fatal and in non-fatal injury pedestrian accidents."

Source

Walking facing traffic affords the ability to see traffic and be ready for it, especially in those situations where you might step around something or trip trying to, just as a bus comes barrelling past.

The only danger I can see is drivers who think it's wrong and deliberately close pass to "teach the pedestrian a lesson". These "myway code enforcers" are becoming increasingly and worryingly common.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Living in rural Lincolnshire, there are rural activities. One of those is horse riding and a small minority are a complete PITA. I have no objection to horse riding per se: however, there are two women locally who insist upon riding out at atime when the many commuters in both directions, are going to and from work. They use the local A road and they ride two abreast. The effect upon people returning home after a long commute, is of course an increase in annoyance, followed in some cases by an exchange of heated words.

The really exasperating factor, is that there are many bridle paths, public rights of way, footpaths and country lanes around the area, which would be ideal for these idiots to take their horses in safety. Most drivers in our area are used to horses and slow down, but most horse riders use the paths I mention. It's just these two women, with a very arrogant, superior attitude to anyone who speaks to them.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    Living in rural Lincolnshire, there are rural activities. One of those is horse riding and a small minority are a complete PITA. I have no objection to horse riding per se: however, there are two women locally who insist upon riding out at atime when the many commuters in both directions, are going to and from work. They use the local A road and they ride two abreast. The effect upon people returning home after a long commute, is of course an increase in annoyance, followed in some cases by an exchange of heated words.

The really exasperating factor, is that there are many bridle paths, public rights of way, footpaths and country lanes around the area, which would be ideal for these idiots to take their horses in safety. Most drivers in our area are used to horses and slow down, but most horse riders use the paths I mention. It's just these two women, with a very arrogant, superior attitude to anyone who speaks to them.

I can't see a need to speak to them, they have as much right to use the road as you have. You wait for a safe opportunity to pass them and do it.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

But they have to get to the bridleways (like cyclists, they can't ride on footpaths) in the first place and often the only way to get from one bridleway to another is to use a road, even if it is for a short distance.

I suspect that they ride two abreast to discourage vehicles to try and squeeze past them.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Drivers shouting at the riders is irresponsible. What if they scared the horses?
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    Options
    I always walk well out into the road if its narrow until I am aware of traffic slowing down to a safe passing speed - the last thing any pedestrian wants is a close pass at speed which hugging the verge would beg for. That room between the verge and yourself can literally save your life as if you move over too early then there is then nowhere left to go.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    I always walk well out into the road if its narrow until I am aware of traffic slowing down to a safe passing speed - the last thing any pedestrian wants is a close pass at speed which hugging the verge would beg for. That room between the verge and yourself can literally save your life as if you move over too early then there is then nowhere left to go.

Goodness, that's a brave approach! I see your point entirely, but I hate to think what abuse that would engender among certain drivers in this rural area.

My son cycles, and even he gets sworn at by drivers telling him he's in the way!
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Options
    I can't see a need to speak to them, they have as much right to use the road as you have. You wait for a safe opportunity to pass them and do it.

They should not ride two abreast on a road unsuitable for that, and they should use commonsense to not ride the highway at periods when people are going to and from work, when the roads are mega-busy! Did you miss that? You also missed the 'rural roads' part: these are narrow roads, with no passing places.

As for "Shouting" at them, as another has said - where do I say that?

People have spoken to them in my hearing, by asking them politely to ride in single file. The person asking received a torrent of abuse. Yes, they have the same rights as other road users, but these two women are alone in an area of many horse riders, in applying no commonsense to their activities. Read this:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-about-animals-47-to-58

They don't obey these Rules:

* keep a horse you are leading to your left
    * move in the direction of the traffic flow in a one-way street
    * never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends.

Those are just some of the ways that they flaunt the Highway Code.
    There are many bridle roads and paths branching off the highway, which they could ride in perfect safety, all the way to and from their stables. That is what most riders around here do.

I am not attacking all riders here, I have several friends locally who ride and all of them dislike these two women, because they give all riders a bad name. To give some idea of the women: they have been warned about the condition of the stables and the animals, which have been examined by a vet in the past and declared to be in poor condition. TBH, I my concern is more for the horses than these women, who are liable to cause a situation someday to harm the horses.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    This 'Giving Way' question has made me wonder about another situation.

Near me is a long bypass which, although only single-file, is actually a very wide road. There seems to be this odd local tradition that, when using the bypass, drivers drive as close to the verge as possible, creating a third "lane" down the middle of the road so people can whizz along at 70-80mph.

Am I obliged to give way if a car is hurtling towards me? If I wasn't to get over and therefore cause a crash, would I be at fault because I could have created space for the oncoming car? Or would they be at fault for driving on the wrong side of the road?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They should not ride two abreast on a road unsuitable for that, and they should use commonsense to not ride the highway at periods when people are going to and from work, when the roads are mega-busy! Did you miss that? You also missed the 'rural roads' part: these are narrow roads, with no passing places.

As for "Shouting" at them, as another has said - where do I say that?

People have spoken to them in my hearing, by asking them politely to ride in single file. The person asking received a torrent of abuse. Yes, they have the same rights as other road users, but these two women are alone in an area of many horse riders, in applying no commonsense to their activities. Read this:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-about-animals-47-to-58

They don't obey these Rules:

* keep a horse you are leading to your left
    * move in the direction of the traffic flow in a one-way street
    * never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends.

Those are just some of the ways that they flaunt the Highway Code.
    There are many bridle roads and paths branching off the highway, which they could ride in perfect safety, all the way to and from their stables. That is what most riders around here do.

I am not attacking all riders here, I have several friends locally who ride and all of them dislike these two women, because they give all riders a bad name. To give some idea of the women: they have been warned about the condition of the stables and the animals, which have been examined by a vet in the past and declared to be in poor condition. TBH, I my concern is more for the horses than these women, who are liable to cause a situation someday to harm the horses.

They still have a right to use the road and if you can't pass you wait. It really is that simple but I bet you've been a tw@t and said something to the riders. It's not your place to Police the roads.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure