Full and final settlement help thread

Options

Comments

• Weakmoments
    Options
    Hi January that's fabulous news. I've received the cca from PRA group and they've said the debt is unenforceable. Did you offer them 10% straight away or did you have to negotiate.
  • Twins
    Twins Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Just wondering, how long does it normally take for creditors to respond to F&F offers? I've sent of 3 and out of them only heard back from 1 which was declined. The letters were sent around 3 weeks ago. Is it normal for them to take their time to reply?

Thank you!
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Twins wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Just wondering, how long does it normally take for creditors to respond to F&F offers? I've sent of 3 and out of them only heard back from 1 which was declined. The letters were sent around 3 weeks ago. Is it normal for them to take their time to reply?

Thank you!

If you are writing to debt collection agencies who are managing the debt for the original creditor then they have to contact the original creditor with your offer. This can take up to 6 weeks (in my experience). Even getting a response directly from an original creditor can take up to a month - I think your offer gets passed around the department until it reaches someone who can make a decision;) I can't think why else they take so long to respond to letters but they do.

It is frustrating, but you just need to sit and wait, you will get a response.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • January2015
    Options
    Hi January that's fabulous news. I've received the cca from PRA group and they've said the debt is unenforceable. Did you offer them 10% straight away or did you have to negotiate.

They offered me the 10% - however, if you are happy to settle at 10% then I would write and offer them that and ask the account be marked as settled in full on your credit reference file.:beer:

Of course - you could completely ignore them and not pay anything. The debt is unenforceable - you still owe it, but they cannot make you pay it :rotfl: We chose to settle and get the matter over and done with, but we could have just ignored them and kept our money.
  • Learning2Budget
    Options
    Hi Twins. Took between 4 and 8 weeks for mine to be sorted. 8 weeks is excessive but we complained and they finally accepted. L2B.x
    LBM 2008 [STRIKE]£45,091.23[/STRIKE] eek: now £7889:T Debt free date 18/07/2018 :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 1 May 2017 at 9:28PM
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am on a dmp with baines and ernst and I have finally plucked up the courage to dump them, my wife and I are going to do our own dmp saving us £50 per month that baines and ernst were charging us,

1, How do I go about ditching them, is there anything specific we should state in the letter?

2, What should we expect back from them and what reaction do you think we'll get from them?

3, What should we expect from our creditors, there are 7 of them?

Thank you and I look forward to any advice we recieve

Welcome, Max and sasha:)

I'm not a regular on this thread, I've just wandered over from the DMP Mutual Support thread as I was looking for some specific F&F information.

There are lots of very helpful and wise people who post on both threads but as your queries are more DMP-related it might be worth your while to repost it on the DMP support thread. Possibly more chance of getting a quick response there.

There are already about 41 pages of posts on the current DMP Mutual Support thread but this links to the first page. Read it through it all if you have the time, you may find a lot of your worries have been talked about by others who are at a similar stage as you.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5623951

Incidentally, although a lot of us are now self-managing our DMPs (thanks to the confidence and strength to do so after the great advice given by other posters:T) it's not always right for everyone. If you feel you'd still like to still have the help of a company through your DMP journey you could always ditch Baines and Ernst (our advice is NEVER to pay for DMP management) and go with Stepchange or Payplan, both of which are totally FREE:j.

I'll maybe see you over on the DMP support thread:beer:
  • Learning2Budget
    Learning2Budget Posts: 1,092 Forumite
    Options
    Hurrah. Dmp completed today. I still have 5k of debt but that is owed to a friend. After nearly 10 years i have completed my dmp!
    Now to crack on and pay my last 5k.
    Feeling very happy.
    L2B.x
    LBM 2008 [STRIKE]£45,091.23[/STRIKE] eek: now £7889:T Debt free date 18/07/2018 :)
  • gemmacrew
    Options
    Hi.
    First post so apologies if I'm not following protocol but I have a question re a settlement offer:

In 2013 I lost a well paid job having credit card balances of 15k (amex) and 12k (mbna) which I'd been servicing for several years. I got another job paying half the money and arranged payment plans with the 2 card companies of £300pm each. Amex continued to add interest at £180pm and did not record a default. MBNA froze the interest and recorded a default.

In 2016 after 3 years of payments I again became unable to make the payments so just stopped. MBNA was down to about 4.5k. Amex was still at 11k.

MBNA occasionally contact me asking if I'm interested in settling. Amex have been making settlement offers of 4,5k and now 3.3k.

If I take up the Amex offer and pay over 2 years then after 2 years they will record the debt as partially settled and this will then remain on my file for another 6 years. So, 8 years from now my file will be clear.

My question is: is there any advantage to me agreeing to the settlement offer and locking in 8 years of bad credit - or do I just tell them I'm not paying and lock in 6 years? I don't imagine nor should I be attempting to get credit for the foreseeable future as I'm clearly not capable of managing it!

I realise morally I should be making the settlement but for the best part of 20 years I ploughed thousands into the Amex coffers on a 30% interest rate and kinda feel a bit pee'd off that they didn't offer to freeze the interest and suspend the account when I initially got into trouble - which would have meant just another 3 years before the defaults leave the credit file.

Any advice greatly appreciate - and yes I know - it's my fault and I should be paying the debt.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 May 2017 at 6:25PM
    Options
    gemmacrew wrote: »

My question is: is there any advantage to me agreeing to the settlement offer and locking in 8 years of bad credit - or do I just tell them I'm not paying and lock in 6 years? I don't imagine nor should I be attempting to get credit for the foreseeable future as I'm clearly not capable of managing it!

Your only problem would be if the card companies take legal action action against you, which if you stop paying altogether and ignore them, is quite likely.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • January2015
    Options
    gemmacrew wrote: »
    Hi.
    First post so apologies if I'm not following protocol but I have a question re a settlement offer:

In 2013 I lost a well paid job having credit card balances of 15k (amex) and 12k (mbna) which I'd been servicing for several years. I got another job paying half the money and arranged payment plans with the 2 card companies of £300pm each. Amex continued to add interest at £180pm and did not record a default. MBNA froze the interest and recorded a default.

In 2016 after 3 years of payments I again became unable to make the payments so just stopped. MBNA was down to about 4.5k. Amex was still at 11k.

MBNA occasionally contact me asking if I'm interested in settling. Amex have been making settlement offers of 4,5k and now 3.3k.

If I take up the Amex offer and pay over 2 years then after 2 years they will record the debt as partially settled and this will then remain on my file for another 6 years. So, 8 years from now my file will be clear.

I realise morally I should be making the settlement but for the best part of 20 years I ploughed thousands into the Amex coffers on a 30% interest rate and kinda feel a bit pee'd off that they didn't offer to freeze the interest and suspend the account when I initially got into trouble - which would have meant just another 3 years before the defaults leave the credit file.

Any advice greatly appreciate - and yes I know - it's my fault and I should be paying the debt.

Have you sent CCA requests to check whether these debts are unenforceable ? Debts that old are more likely to be unenforceable than more recent (post 2008 debts)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback