Cold weather payments: quickly check if you're entitled

Former_MSE_Archna
Former_MSE_Archna Posts: 1,903 Forumite
First Post
edited 29 August 2013 at 4:27PM in Benefits & tax credits
[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]What are cold weather payments? [/title]

Cold weather payments are cash boosts (for paying energy bills) for those on certain benefits when the weather gets especially cold. You get £25 per week if the temperature drops to below zero celsius (or is predicted to) for seven consecutive days between 1 Nov to 31 March.

Don't confuse this with winter fuel payments for over 60s which are automatically paid every year (See the Winter Fuel news story for more).

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]Who's eligible?[/title]

You may be eligible for a Cold Weather Payment if you get Pension Credit or income-related Employment and Support Allowance with a support or work related activity component in the main phase.

You may also be eligible for a Cold Weather Payment for each qualifying week if you are getting Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance in the assessment phase and have one of the following:
  • a pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium
  • a disability premium, enhanced disability premium or severe disability premium
  • a disabled child premium
  • Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
  • a child who is under five in the family
See full details on Direct Gov.

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]Quickly find out if your area should receive payments[/title]

You can use Direct Gov's postcode checker to find out how many cold weather payments your area is entitled too:

UPDATE 6 Jan. It looks like Direct Giv may be having problems with the postcode checker. If it's not working for you, check this Cold Weather PDF for details of payments due up to 5 Jan.

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]How you get the cash[/title]

There is no need to make a claim. Payments are made automatically by the Income Support Computer System or Jobseeker's Allowance Payment System after the temperature has dropped. A small number of cases are paid clerically by the Social Security or Jobs & Benefits office.

Though so people report they've not got a payment when they should....

If you've not got a payment and should have please let us know by clicking reply and posting in the discussion

Related Articles: 5 Minute Benefit Check Up, Grant Grabbing

[signupbox]box[/signupbox]

Comments

• ...this offer of financial help from the government does not apply if you were made redundant through no-fault-of-your-own and happen to be single and seeking work; unless you have kid(s), partner, disability or pension.

Seems again that it's tough luck to those who have less income coming in and now have to pay out £70 per week to try and be warm. Oh, that's right - that's more money than we're given by the government each week. Shucks!

On a positive note - Martin, your site has saved me loads over the past unfortunate year. Here's to even more savings and good fortune for 2010 :-)
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    I presume the discussion you mean is this one?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2162593
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DX2 wrote: »
    I presume the discussion you mean is this one?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2162593
    I think MSE Archna means this thread as that is the one they will be following.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • DX2
    Fran wrote: »
    I think MSE Archna means this thread as that is the one they will be following.
    That's good of them :rolleyes:
    *SIGH*
  • ive just checked my postcode it says i am entitiled to 2 payments but have not received anything yet.
  • DX2
    ive just checked my postcode it says i am entitiled to 2 payments but have not received anything yet.
    I'm assuming you meet the criteria above, if so give the JCP a quick call in the morning to double check there is a payment being sent out.
    *SIGH*
  • burkey365
    burkey365 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I put my postcode in and it says i should have received 3 payments from 1st Nov until 6th Jan, checked with my bank and i received one payment at xmas and one yesterday, should i call up about the other one
  • DX2
    burkey365 wrote: »
    I put my postcode in and it says i should have received 3 payments from 1st Nov until 6th Jan, checked with my bank and i received one payment at xmas and one yesterday, should i call up about the other one
    Nah it will be on it's way especially if you have had one already ;)
    *SIGH*
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Right okay.............now ours is 4 payments.........

I know I should not write in the post code "on here" as such but here is the write up here:

The Met Office have notified the Department for Work and Pensions that 4 periods of very cold weather have occurred in the NP44 postcode area between 1 November 2009 and 6 January 2010, triggering Cold Weather Payments.
    If you have qualified for Cold Weather Payments since 1 November 2009 and live in this postcode area, you will receive 4 Cold Weather Payments
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • DX2
    Hooary finally the powers of be have made this a sticky....I mean it's only been mentioned several times in the other thread :rolleyes:
    *SIGH*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family