PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rental Deposit Nightmare - Any Ideas?

Hello all!

I'm a newbie here so treat me kindly :j

I have an issue with my old landlord who is currently holding my deposit (in a protected scheme).

My wife and I handed the keys over, the letting agent on behalf of the landlord took the keys and they said they wanted to take £150 off the deposit for works within the flat, despite it being in good condition with the majority of it coming from fair wear-and-tear.

We said we wouldn't pay that and then we negotiated a settlement of £100.

On the 10th day, when we were expecting to receive the money as stated in the legal guidelines, they have said they want to take a further £60 from the deposit despite already agreeing the initial £100. We have had no reasons in writing as to why they want to raise the fee taken from the deposit.

Can they legally do this after agreeing a settlement already?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Just complain to the deposit protection people. They might give it all back to you if it's fair wear and tear
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Was the £100 agreed in writing?

Either way, if you don't want to pay the extra £60 then raise a dispute.

Read

* Deposits: payment, protection and return
  • SAB89
    SAB89 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Not in a formal letter; we have a text message from them saying that they would charge £100 which we agreed to - I thought that would constitute a contract within itself?

If all else fails it looks like the dispute track is looming.

Thanks for the responses :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport