interview coming up need help with questions

Options
luverlyjuberly
luverlyjuberly Posts: 178 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
have an interview soon this information was included on the appointment page.
"Your interview will focus on ****!!!8217;s Valued Behaviours (Accountable, Commercial, Caring and Energised) and we will be asking a series of questions which are based around these. In order to ensure we can score your interview effectively you will be asked to provide specific examples which demonstrate the skills and behaviours we are looking for.

When I originally applied i had to send a covering letter, the company gave a template for you to follow - I ignored most of it as i did not know what they were on about! but did write what I thought they meant so must have written it right.
This is it:

"At **, we live by four key values every day to provide a great service to our clients and customers. To be a success with us you!!!8217;ll need to be;
Accountable (Don!!!8217;t pass the buck !!!8211; own it!),
Commercial (Spending wisely and working creatively),
Caring (Looking after one another)
Energised (Having a positive, can-do approach)"

Has anyone come across this?

I'm not really sure what they mean by accountable and Commercial?
Any help would be appreciated.
From September 2008 - Wepromiseto £133.19, Greasypalm £46.16, Quidco £10.40, Cashback Kings £74.54. Vouchers £31.00. myhpf £21.03
Topcashback £137.54 Matchbetting £24.70 MORTGAGE FREE END OF JULY 2015 (YIPPEE!)

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    have an interview soon this information was included on the appointment page.
    "Your interview will focus on H****’s Valued Behaviours (Accountable, Commercial, Caring and Energised) and we will be asking a series of questions which are based around these. In order to ensure we can score your interview effectively you will be asked to provide specific examples which demonstrate the skills and behaviours we are looking for.

When I originally applied i had to send a covering letter, the company gave a template for you to follow - I ignored most of it as i did not know what they were on about!
    This is it:

"At **, we live by four key values every day to provide a great service to our clients and customers. To be a success with us you’ll need to be;
    Accountable (Don’t pass the buck – own it!),
    Commercial (Spending wisely and working creatively),
    Caring (Looking after one another)
    Energised (Having a positive, can-do approach)"

Has anyone come across this?

I'm not really sure what they mean by accountable and Commercial?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    They defined what they mean by accountable - don't pass the buck and own it. They defined what they mean by commercial - spending wisely and working creatively. Given they've told you what they mean, what was it you wanted us to explain to you?

What that means in the context, absolutely nobody can tell you. It would mean a very different thing in a nursery than it would in a factory.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    It means if there's a problem you solve it - find someone to help or something, don't ignore it. Use your initiative
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    It means if there's a problem you solve it - find someone to help or something, don't ignore it. Use your initiative

Exactly this.

Eg a customer contacts you but it isn't your area or expertise / repsonsibilty. How did you ensure that that customers needs / expectations of the company were met
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to find specific examples of times when you have exhibited the behaviours they are looking for and learn how to explain the context in two or three sentences, explain what you did and why you did it in two sentences. Ideally these examples will be in your current job, but if you need to use examples from a previous job that is ok.

You need to be able to use these stories to showcase your unique talents.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    What level is the job? I can't imagine that a shop floor worker for example would be in a position to 'Spend Wisely', or foolishly for that matter. 'Working creatively' could be something as simple as refilling shelves without being asked, or pointing out something which seems to be wrong or out of place.
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have examples that could be relevant or similar to the job that you are applying for, that might also help.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

When I originally applied i had to send a covering letter, the company gave a template for you to follow - I ignored most of it as i did not know what they were on about!

So you passed stage 1 to get an interview, have faith.

I don't understand that many Job holders would have no clue what accountable and commercial meant.

The sentences you have reads to me as likely
    Describe a time when you made a mistake and owned up to it (accountable)
    Better ways of working: instead of wasting time and money writing out that telephone message on paper and then hand delivering it, how's about you put it in an email, no one need lose any time walking anywhere in such a big office. (Their idea of commercial) even at 16 I remember a Commercial Manager and their job was to know the business and bring in new sales and upsell whilst overseeing the office.

I worked at a place that had Customer, Team, Results, Respect. After interview these were also the basis for appraisals etc so it doesn't end at recruitment and you can only be you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Is this Home Group by any chance?
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I think 'Commercial' means always having the company's best interests and bottom line (finance) at heart: thinking about whether things are value for money (which doesn't always mean cheapest). The values in themselves are commercial, as they are a selling point for the company! For example, you could suggest that softer loo roll might be easier for staff to use with residents, so although it's more expensive you calculate that it would save 2 hours' a week staff time and enhance residents' experience :eek:. That would be creative and commercial...........
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • luverlyjuberly
    Options
    Thanks for your help thoughts and advice everyone. It's got me thinking.
    From September 2008 - Wepromiseto £133.19, Greasypalm £46.16, Quidco £10.40, Cashback Kings £74.54. Vouchers £31.00. myhpf £21.03
    Topcashback £137.54 Matchbetting £24.70 MORTGAGE FREE END OF JULY 2015 (YIPPEE!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure