when do better offers start coming?

Options
Andybez38
Andybez38 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Having had a default drop off my (TransUnion) credit file. Experian & equifax get updated in a few days time.
It will leave no defaults recorded over the last 6 years. I have no missed payments, 4 credit cards with credit limits from £900-£6000.
I have seen a slow improvement after checking my credit reports with improved scores.
When i am checking eligibility for credit cards. I am still only getting offers come up with adverse credit cards with Apr of 29.9 plus.
How soon would i expect to see more mainstream credit card offers.
I came into this world with nothing and I'm gonna leave with nothing.

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You need to start somewhere, take a sub-prime card, put your shopping /petrol on it, pay it in full each month and you will start to build up a credit history.

Took me 7 months from having a sub-prime CC to getting one from my own bank; I've a CCJ and historic defaults.

Have you tried your own bank?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Andybez38 wrote: »
    Having had a default drop off my (TransUnion) credit file. Experian & equifax get updated in a few days time.
    It will leave no defaults recorded over the last 6 years. I have no missed payments, 4 credit cards with credit limits from £900-£6000.
    I have seen a slow improvement after checking my credit reports with improved scores.
    When i am checking eligibility for credit cards. I am still only getting offers come up with adverse credit cards with Apr of 29.9 plus.
    How soon would i expect to see more mainstream credit card offers.
    Lenders do not use your score. They don't see it either. All you require is to have credit file full of positive data. Wait until all your three files are clean of negative data before trying for a mainstream card...

How much total available limit of £6,000 is currently reported as being used?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Andybez38
    Options
    You need to start somewhere, take a sub-prime card

That was my starting point. The 4 cards i have were sub prime cards. I have built up a couple of years history now with the cards. I have been waiting for the default to drop off my files. This has now happened on one credit agency report. I'm waiting for the default to drop off the other 2 agencies. I'm just wondering why i only get offers from sub prime lenders.
  • Andybez38
    Options
    How much total available limit of £6,000 is currently reported as being used?

I currently have zero balance on all 4 cards. I have been using the cards and paying off the balance in full each month. I am wondering why the eligibility credit card checkers are only coming up with sub prime card offers.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That was my starting point. The 4 cards i have were sub prime cards. I have built up a couple of years history now with the cards. I have been waiting for the default to drop off my files. This has now happened on one credit agency report. I'm waiting for the default to drop off the other 2 agencies. I'm just wondering why i only get offers from sub prime lenders.

Because you still have a default showing on two of your files.

Wait until it drops off from all three CRA's first.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    … I am wondering why the eligibility credit card checkers are only coming up with sub prime card offers.
    ... Wait until all your three files are clean of negative data before trying for a mainstream card...
    Like I said...wait until your files are clean of negative data...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Andybez38
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    Because you still have a default showing on two of your files.

Wait until it drops off from all three CRA's first.

I was lead to believe that the default came off after 6 years. Although this is still showing on equifax and experian, its only because the reports are updated monthly. If a lender was to check my credit file today surely they would be given a live up to date report?
  • boo_star
    Options
    I was lead to believe that the default came off after 6 years. Although this is still showing on equifax and experian, its only because the reports are updated monthly. If a lender was to check my credit file today surely they would be given a live up to date report?

Yes, I was thinking that after posting.

When you say you only get subprime offers, do you mean the prime ones are not showing at all or they're all 0%?

And which sites are you checking on?
  • Andybez38
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    Yes, I was thinking that after posting.

When you say you only get subprime offers, do you mean the prime ones are not showing at all or they're all 0%?

And which sites are you checking on?

I have checked on MSE credit club. Totally money site. Noddle site, credit score site, etc. All i am getting are sub prime card offers with pre approved offers. there are no mainstream lender offers on any.
  • boo_star
    Options
    I have checked on MSE credit club. Totally money site. Noddle site, credit score site, etc. All i am getting are sub prime card offers with pre approved offers. there are no mainstream lender offers on any.

Maybe try a soft search direct with a prime lender?

Barclaycard : https://www.barclays.co.uk/credit-cards/check-your-eligibility/
    MBNA : https://www.mbna.co.uk/credit-card-eligibility-checker.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport