TSB complaint. Compensation offered.

Options

Comments

• smudge2006
    smudge2006 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    While some of you are grabbing large compensation payouts for 'not really being inconvenienced at all', please remember that people's jobs are at stake here. I'm all for complaining if there's a legitimate reason but not just to get free money at the expense of someone else's career.
    Premier League Baby!
  • Dragonfly1
    Dragonfly1 Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    smudge2006 wrote: »
    While some of you are grabbing large compensation payouts for 'not really being inconvenienced at all', please remember that people's jobs are at stake here. I'm all for complaining if there's a legitimate reason but not just to get free money at the expense of someone else's career.

To be fair, this saga has created a number of career opportunities at TSB. They have had to set up a whole new department to purely focus on the volume of complaints and so there is a strong possibility that they are hiring. They are pretty unlikely to go bancrupt.... Banco Sabadell's profit amounted to €801.5 million in 2017.

In my opinion (and you have a fair argument opposing), companies will only learn if they suffer huge financial consequences when they do things like this. It was ill-planned with no software redundancy. It is wholly unacceptable for them to leave customers inconvenienced without access to their money online for several days. That is absolutely enough to complain about. The level of redress is set by TSB though. I think >£100 is greatly excessive for people - including myself - who have simply not had access to their money - but that's up to TSB to decide and offer. Rather than peoples' careers, I'd more worry for the poor customer services person that may receive abuse from me who *expect* >£100 compensation. Not necessarily anyone on this thread, but no doubt it will be happening as some customers get very aggressive when they don't hear what they want to hear.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Well no contact at all from TSB but £75 suddenly arrived in one of my accounts yesterday.
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    Well no contact at all from TSB but £75 suddenly arrived in one of my accounts yesterday.

Sure you didn't recommend somebody to open a TSB account as part of their 'recommend a friend' scheme? (the reward is £75). I did shortly before the IT fiasco, and didn't receive the reward until long after I was supposed to . I'd all but written it off, when randomly £75 appeared in my account as a 'switch reward'
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 October 2018 at 4:48PM
    Options
    I got a call from a firm asking how my TSB complaint was \ is being handled from 08000803240.

Considering their last contact was them sending me a letter in July stating they would have a final response or update in two weeks you can imagine it wasn't the most complimentary of surveys.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Obviously I am not an important customer as I was only given £25.00. However I only keep £1500 in the account for the interest and nothing else.
  • Dragonfly1
    Options
    Dragonfly1 wrote: »
    I have just received an offer of £150 for the "inconvenience and distress" of not being able to log online for 3 or 4 days back when the IT problems occured.

Obviously astonished. It was pre-authorised before they phoned me & was their opening offer without me asking or pushing. I was expecting £25.....

And I have never bought anything on either of my 2 TSB Classic Plus accounts - they simply accrue interest for the last couple of years.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I didn't ever escalate this to the Ombsudmen or chase the complaint. They simply have finally got round to contacting me about the original complaint :)

To update on this - I was offered the pre-authorised £150 from the main TSB complaints line and it would be in my account within about 48 hours.
    I phoned the main complaints line back on Wednesday as it hadn't appeared and there was a lot of confusion and they basically said to phone the non-advertised TSB number that deals with the I.T fiasco from April.

That number then said that the figure of £150 has been put forward to management within TSB to review before making the final decision to pay it to me. I did try to point out to them that it was their own people who offered the figure. He could not tell me how whether it would be days, weeks or months before I hear but not to contact them again in the mean time.

I would then genuinely escalate the complaint further as TSB should record their calls and it should be documented that it was clearly stated £150 would be paid within 48 hours as it had already been approved. You shouldn't say that & then potentially back-track weeks later.... That is unprofessional.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dragonfly1 wrote: »
    To update on this - I was offered the pre-authorised £150 from the main TSB complaints line and it would be in my account within about 48 hours.
    I phoned the main complaints line back on Wednesday as it hadn't appeared and there was a lot of confusion and they basically said to phone the non-advertised TSB number that deals with the I.T fiasco from April.

That number then said that the figure of £150 has been put forward to management within TSB to review before making the final decision to pay it to me. I did try to point out to them that it was their own people who offered the figure. He could not tell me how whether it would be days, weeks or months before I hear but not to contact them again in the mean time.

I would then genuinely escalate the complaint further as TSB should record their calls and it should be documented that it was clearly stated £150 would be paid within 48 hours as it had already been approved. You shouldn't say that & then potentially back-track weeks later.... That is unprofessional.
    I'm in similar circumstances, I didn't get a phone call, but instead a letter out of the blue saying a payment would be made into my account by a specific date. The letter stated it was their 'final response' - no mention of it being subject to management approval.

Although I hadn't contacted them to say, I suspect I am one of the customers whose 'please bear with us' letter got sent to a third party. I have a full set apart from the one due when it was reported that people had received letters which weren't meant for them.

Whether or not this has an impact on the amount offered, and the method used to inform the customer, I could only speculate on... but it does appear that very different methods are being used to resolve complaints, and we have to assume there might be some logic to it all. ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • winifer569
    Options
    Hi,

I had a payment appear in my tsb account today it just says "faster payment" as the description and nothing about who it was from.. Is that how all of yours appeared? as i have no idea who it could be from if it isn't tsb compensation.

I've never actually received a call so don't know the amount (if anything) i was getting..

Any help appreciated, i could just phone and ask but i'd probably be on hold for ages!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure