Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 23rd Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 10,644Posts
    • 37,738Thanks
    jwil
    New plan...time to see some movement!
    • 23rd Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    New plan...time to see some movement! 23rd Aug 18 at 3:29 PM
    Hello!

I've decided it's time for a new diary. I've been doing a lot of thinking recently and have come up with a new plan.

My debt is all at 0% on my DMP and is just clearing, albeit very slowly at 1 a month. This will increase when little miss gets her free hours at nursery next year.

Our mortgage is 118,511 and the only interest bearing debt, on a tracker rate so vulnerable to interest rate rises. I'm very happy with the rate though, and we can make unlimited overpayments, so for the time being, not looking to fix.

I still need to pay back 2400 for my car.

We need to start doing some of the work to the house that we've been putting off for years. So we need to get saving for that before it gets to a stage where we have no choice but to do the work as an emergency.

My new plan therefore is that I am going to let the DMP run itself, focus on paying back the car, the mortgage and saving for the house work. I will be trying to build the emergency fund/F&F fund, so that if my creditors offer a settlement I will hopefully be able to take advantage.

I hope that by changing my focus I will keep my motivation rather than getting fed up about not seeing any progress towards my debts. The mortgage will go down regardless of whether I manage to make overpayments, and hopefully the savings will increase!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 59
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Jun 19, 8:28 AM
    • 4,375 Posts
    • 26,782 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Shame about the VW festival but I am sure you will have a goos weekend anyone.
    Target by end of Aug goal: 2000/4000
    Car costs savings: 500
    Xmas savings 50
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Jun 19, 7:34 AM
    • 10,644 Posts
    • 37,738 Thanks
    jwil
    Shame about the VW festival but I am sure you will have a goos weekend anyone.
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thank you

DH did do some clearing yesterday Some stuff shifted and a little bit of space cleared I've got a load of listings to do now.

Today as we are not going to the VW show, we are going on a family trip to the cinema. It will be little miss's first time. Then I'll splash out on a takeaway tonight as we haven't had one for months.

Have a good day everyone
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th Jun 19, 12:59 PM
    • 10,644 Posts
    • 37,738 Thanks
    jwil
    Cinema trip was good yesterday but little miss was a bit fidgety. Will probably leave it a bit before we take her again.

DH sold a few more things yesterday so that's all posted today.

I've caught up with surveys and redeemed a 5 amazon voucher.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th Jun 19, 1:41 PM
    • 9,726 Posts
    • 77,224 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm glad DH cleared some clutter, hopefully he'll keep it up until it's all gone .

Glad you had a cinema trip. How old is Little Miss?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 4,105/5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 2,005/5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = 129.37/500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = 100. PREMIUM BONDS DH = 50
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 17th Jun 19, 3:05 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    Kitten868
    I'm going to take mine to Toy Story 4 but they won't behave! Its meant to be an incentive to get through term but it's not working. My youngest is nearly 4 and I still haven't taken them yet. I'm too chicken. I'm definitely not doing it alone.

Great news on getting rid of stuff. Well done xxx
    Loan 1 4900/8000
    Loan 2 2900/5800
    Total 7800/13800 43% PAID

And CC 1250/1900
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,435Posts Today

8,944Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin