Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lamcg
    • By lamcg 17th May 19, 5:09 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lamcg
    Help! money barn wont cancel my finance agreement
    • 17th May 19, 5:09 PM
    Help! money barn wont cancel my finance agreement 17th May 19 at 5:09 PM
    i am hoping to get some advice from anyone that can help, im at my whits end with this situation. my complaint has recieved my final response from money barn and is now with the ombudsman but can take upto 2 months just for them to appoint an advisor to me to help..

I purchased a vehicle (BMW 3 series 2.0TD M Sport business edition) from Evans Halshaw on 22nd December 2018. I traded my old car in as deposit of £1289.99. The cash price of the car was £5289.99 and total amount re-payable including APR £7478.34.

On 29th March 2019 the clutch started sticking in the car, it done this for approximately 5 minutes then the car broke down. It had to be recovered to a local garage at the cost of £35 and has remained there since. Once the car was at the garage it was inspected by the mechanic who quoted a repair price of £4271.65. I contacted Evans halshaw who advised me I was covered under warranty and could get it fixed free of charge. They sent me over the warranty which stated I was only covered for £500 of the payment through extended warranty. I again contacted Evans Halshaw who said there was nothing they could do and I would need to contact my finance company. It took until 17th April to get that far into resolving the issue.

I contacted money barn who advised me they would arrange for an independent mechanic from ACE (Automotive Consulting Engineers LTD) to inspect the car and see who was at fault, if it was Evans halshaw then they would fix the car at cost to them.

The mechanic visited the garage CJ Autosport on 29/04/2019. Money barn states that a full and thorough inspection was carried out to conclude their extensive report. The mechanic at CJ autosport advised me different and he said the mechanic from ACE spent no more than a few minutes under the bonnet of the car and said there was nothing he could do about it. The car was not thoroughly inspected, it was not placed on a ramp. The extent of his visit was opening the bonnet, looking in at the engine and closing it again.

Money barn sent me a final response on 13th May 2019 stating the car was damaged due to wear and tear and full responsibility for repair was mine.

I have currently paid £2002 towards this car with a further £178 being taken on 28th each month. I only managed to drive it for 13 weeks before it broke down with damage amounting to almost the cars worth. I contacted money barn again who refused to take the car back and refused to cancel my agreement. The call handler advised me that full repair responsibility was on me and I also had to continue my monthly payments for the next 3 years.

I am not well off, I purchased this car for security for my child and my job as my son attends school in a different town and my job requires me to drive to a suppliers twice a week an hours drive away. I am currently left with no car, I have to drive my disabled fathers car to get to work, supplies and my son to school. My father needs to be present in the car when I drive it and his mobility car terms only allow a small allowance for mileage per annum. The miles I am putting on the car are very stressful for myself and my father, the amount of time I need to have my father in the car is also stressful and damaging to his body as he isnít allowed to sit for too long. On the days I canít get the car I need to get buses and taxis at extra cost to me. The finance company advised me if I cancel my payments they will re posses the car and hold me liable for the remainder of my contract anyway. This will also affect my credit rating and my ability to finance a more reliable car in future.

This situation has been very expensive, stressful and damaging to my mental health. It is predicted to carry on for the foreseeable and I am struggling to afford payments for a car fit for the scrap yard along with payments to my fathers insurance, petrol, bus and taxi expenses.

has anyone else had a similar experience that can tell me what to do? all i want is my agreement cancelled and my money returned to purchase a more reliable car without this hassle and my credit rating being affected.
Page 2
    • societys child
    • By societys child 24th May 19, 7:13 PM
    • 6,170 Posts
    • 7,143 Thanks
    societys child
    I purchased this car for security for my child and my job as my son attends school in a different town and my job requires me to drive to a suppliers twice a week an hours drive away.
    And to do this you really needed a:

BMW 3 series 2.0TD M Sport business edition

I can think of many, many cars that would be more suitable . .
    Last edited by societys child; 24-05-2019 at 7:17 PM.

• snilloct1957
    • By snilloct1957 24th May 19, 8:14 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    snilloct1957
    Do you have any service history for the vehicle? If so, go through it carefully and see if the timing chain was changed in the recent past.
    If not, and it was due for a renewal based on the car's mileage, you may have a claim the vehicle "was not of merchantable quality" and
    "not fit for purpose." Too many variables to give you a cast-iron case,
    but may be worth talking to Citizens Advice.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 24th May 19, 8:32 PM
    • 34,390 Posts
    • 21,739 Thanks
    DCFC79
    And to do this you really needed a:

I can think of many, many cars that would be more suitable . .
    Originally posted by societys child
    So can I.

Im not entirely surprised, its the world we live in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,451Posts Today

8,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin