On-grid domestic battery storage

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    It's a 3 kWh element - Hive sockets are rated at 13A so fortunately there was no need to change the element, keeping the project cost at zero!:cool: Mid afternoon generation on a sunny day is around 2.5kWh so the demand on the battery is about 800W (including the 300W house background).

It'll only ever be a minor saving but it will save some wear & tear on the boiler during summer. There's a lot of 32mm & 28mm pipework between my boiler & the cylinder so the 'transmission' losses must be pretty high when the CH is idle.

Just had a good chuckle at myself. I was thinking a lower power immersion would reduce the wear and tear on the batt, but I suppose less draw from the immersion means more charging (wear and tear) on the batt, then possibly more discharge from the batt later on (wear and tear again), to finish heating the water (3x longer), and a battery discharge possibly after the PV gen has fallen.

Kinda circular thinking, with gains and losses cancelling out. Like I said, made me chuckle, trying to overthink again.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

Kinda circular thinking, with gains and losses cancelling out. Like I said, made me chuckle, trying to overthink again.

I went through exactly the same cycle, thought about swapping out the immersion for a 1kw one, installing an additional element etc but most of it was down to the way Id set up the batteries initially. Two pylontechs didnt supply enough for the immersion if the sun went in so it ended up switching to mains. Four did supply enough so that was part of the reason for the upgrade, to allow full 16A draw (or thereabouts with losses).

I dont have the hive like Nick but have just a push button stop start with variable timer on my immersion. With experimentation 15 mins is enough to get me enough hot water for the power shower. So as long as I push the button 15 mins before I need a shower it is grand!

The 1kw element would have pushed that time out considerably and 15 minutes is almost on demand..

A hive like solution is on the to-do list but pushing a button after Ive made my morning coffee is the simplest easiest solution... ...until the morning you forget that is...

At this time of year Im finding I have at least 60% of the battery first thing in the morning, hence the reason for going for the ASHP to do the nighttime heating and Im using about 20-30% of the battery now to just run it. Temperature dropped here last night significantly so had to go back to the oil for a half hour. It was also a dull(ish) day here yesterday so the battery will never replace the fossil fuel side but it sure is taking a load off! Discounting time away from home that was 11 days without using the oil at all, everything from the sun and only I think 12kwh imported since first of April.

Im not familiar with the Hive but that type of solution where you can utilise battery capacity balanced with your excess export to feed other parts of your energy usage during the day is definitely the way to go. If ROI really matters to your calculations then its the best way to maximise that, certainly in terms of making the system work for you. Of course all the lifetime and lifecycle calculations are just imponderables for most of this kit at the minute. They can publish figures all they like but it really does depend on your usage.
    Ive just removed the clutch master cylinder from my old Alfa 156, it failed after 75k miles, or in real terms 19 years and 2 days. I suspect it wasnt the 75k miles that made it fail judging by the internal seals, just old age. The replacement will have a 5 year warranty but thats just based on average usage and miles and and and including being used most days, the clutch slave cylinder failed after I hadnt used it in a year as it needed regular movement to provide lubrication. I keep that in mind when occasionally using the boiler during the summer, last thing I want to do is turn on again in October to find out it doesnt!

The wear and tear on the battery is going to be the interesting bit going forward, watching the battery management is also interesting, they do seem to be doing some clever stuff moving charge around the four units. I havent been monitoring it long enough to work out the cycles as it doesnt take charge from batteries uniformly unless theres a big load and it does seem to switch the battery that it takes the low energy charge from periodically. When I get a full summers usage out of it I can have a look to see if certain batteries are favoured (or if I have a dud one, or mismatch of some sort) and then monitor that going forward.
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It was Joe’s mention of his immersion controller in a previous post that got me thinking about something similar. Hive solved the problem of not knowing when export would happen and then always being 60 miles away when it did. I doubt there will be export in December so the socket can be tasked back to Xmas lights for a month.:D
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • 1961Nick
    edited 19 May 2019 at 7:07PM
    Options
    Another project....

I've tidied up the EPS adding a 2 gang socket & an emergency bulkhead light.

IMG_1936_zpsb5k1lpko.jpg

I then moved onto the incoming supply & fitted a generator switch. This breaks the grid connection before making the generator connection.

IMG_1934_zps6zlb3mf6.jpg

IMG_1935_zpsirnims8i.jpg

The completed job...

IMG_1937_zpsuxoy8pe6.jpg

In EPS mode...

IMG_1938_zpsr1g29hyv.jpg
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • 1961Nick
    Options
    Update on my 'Hive' controlled immersion heater.

Despite being rated at 13A, a 3kW element is too much for a Hive socket to run for an extended period. The temperature of the socket & plug head reaches an unacceptable level imo. The temperature inside the airing cupboard doesn't help the situation either. A 1kW or 2kW element should be fine though.

This evening I replaced the Hive control with a wifi fused spur which solves the problem without having to change the element.
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,169 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    This evening I replaced the Hive control with a wifi fused spur ....
    I had not realised there was such a thing but I found one made by Timeguard being sold for around £40. Is that what you used?
    Reed
  • 1961Nick
    Options
    I had not realised there was such a thing but I found one made by Timeguard being sold for around £40. Is that what you used?
    That's the one.

It appears to be well made & easily fits into a 25mm back box. Setup is pretty simple & the only complication was having to temporarily split 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz broadband signals during the pairing process - it won't pair on 5Ghz.

The app isn't as sophisticated as Hive, but it serves my needs for this application - 1 or 2 hour boost is all I need.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Just a short news item on a development in Chicago pairing large(ish) PV (6kWp) and Sonnen batts (20kWh) in 28 homes.

Anything that tests batts, and the use of PV and batts at the smaller demand end, should help push the technology forward .... hopefully.

New sonnenCommunity Pairs Passive House Design With Intelligent Energy Storage

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Just a short news item on a development in Chicago pairing large(ish) PV (6kWp) and Sonnen batts (20kWh) in 28 homes.

Anything that tests batts, and the use of PV and batts at the smaller demand end, should help push the technology forward .... hopefully.

New sonnenCommunity Pairs Passive House Design With Intelligent Energy Storage

OK this is weird, take the picture from the Chicago article, then change the colour of the battery from black to white, and what do you get:

Anesco launches domestic solar-plus-storage offering
    Anesco has targeted the UK’s domestic solar-plus-storage market with a new ‘at Home’ offering comprising a raft of clean energy technologies.

Solar and battery storage will be combined with heat pumps, EV charging technologies and an auto-switching energy tariff service to offer consumers a tailored energy service to not only decarbonise, but save money on utility bills.

• joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK this is weird, take the picture from the Chicago article, then change the colour of the battery from black to white, and what do you get:

Anesco launches domestic solar-plus-storage offering

Just a placeholder image credited to Sonnen and they dont mention Sonnen in the article. Naughty.
    The rest is cut and paste from a press release.

Im in Chicago at the end of next month, might give them a shout and call past if I have time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback