Student Loan debt - statue barred?

FutureGirl
FutureGirl Posts: 1,252
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
I've received a letter this morning from CCS regarding a student loan I took out with SFE.

According to the letter I owe them £1,990. This is, apparently because I was given a grant for this figure, but should have been a loan. They then apparently paid me the loan as well.

I have checked back through my notice of entitlement letters and can see that in 2011 that I was indeed told about this back then. However, I was receiving letters every few days with a new entitlement amount from them part way through the year where they could never quite decide how much I was entitled to, so I never actually knew how much I was supposed to have received, and whether it was a loan or grant.

Anyway, they're now chasing me some 9 years later. This £1990 figure is NOT included in my online student finance account that I re-pay via my salary.

Could this debt be statute barred? I have never made any payments towards this debt and, as far as I'm aware, do not remember speaking with SFE / anyone else acknowledging it.

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    FutureGirl wrote: »
    I've received a letter this morning from CCS regarding a student loan I took out with SFE.

According to the letter I owe them £1,990. This is, apparently because I was given a grant for this figure, but should have been a loan. They then apparently paid me the loan as well.

I have checked back through my notice of entitlement letters and can see that in 2011 that I was indeed told about this back then. However, I was receiving letters every few days with a new entitlement amount from them part way through the year where they could never quite decide how much I was entitled to, so I never actually knew how much I was supposed to have received, and whether it was a loan or grant.

Anyway, they're now chasing me some 9 years later. This £1990 figure is NOT included in my online student finance account that I re-pay via my salary.

Could this debt be statute barred? I have never made any payments towards this debt and, as far as I'm aware, do not remember speaking with SFE / anyone else acknowledging it.

Income contingent student loans are exempt from being statute barred.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I was under the impression that a grant overpayment was not exempt from the Limitations Act?

It wouldn't be paid back usually as it's a grant, not a loan. And secondly the overpayment isn't taken out of my wages like a usual student loan. It's an actual 'debt'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure