Wedding Loan Split after Split

Options
Hi all, thanks in advance for any help you can offer, or any light you can shed on my situation.

I got a wedding loan out last year in order to pay for the wedding I was planning this year. As my (now ex) partner has a poor credit rating I took the loan out in my name only, with the agreement that as it was for the wedding she would pay half into my bank account each month.

This agreement was only verbal, and nothing was written down.

I have now unfortunately had to cancel the wedding, but my question is:

Is she liable for 1/2 of the remaining loan, despite it being only in my name, due to it clearly being for a joint event, which we had bother agreed to?

She had been paying me 1/2 of the monthly payment up until a couple of months before we split. Does this count as acceptance of a 'contract' despite there being no written communications.

Thanks

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is she liable for 1/2 of the remaining loan, despite it being only in my name, due to it clearly being for a joint event, which we had bother agreed to?

Not as far as the bank are concerned, and you might struggle to convince a court she is.
    She had been paying me 1/2 of the monthly payment up until a couple of months before we split. Does this count as acceptance of a 'contract' despite there being no written communications.

Thanks

Not really, she can easily argue that she was just doing it to be nice.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is she not making the payments ?

This is the problem with 1 half of the couple taking out a loan to pay for x and no agreement written down (you couldn't forsee this was going to happen.)
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    Has all the money been spent if the wedding is off?

Can I guess, it went into her account.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Stacey101
    Options
    Yes... If you are still on good terms then try to just keep it that way as loan is paid off between you. If she stops her contributions- then politely remind her of the promise- maybe in an email- so at least you have something in writing. Sorry about your wedding plans.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stacey101 wrote: »
    Yes... If you are still on good terms then try to just keep it that way as loan is paid off between you. If she stops her contributions- then politely remind her of the promise- maybe in an email- so at least you have something in writing. Sorry about your wedding plans.

She has already stopped paying according to the OP.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you took out wedding insurance you may be able to claim the majority of your costs to offset the loan repayments
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    matt6494 wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks in advance for any help you can offer, or any light you can shed on my situation.

I got a wedding loan out last year in order to pay for the wedding I was planning this year. As my (now ex) partner has a poor credit rating I took the loan out in my name only, with the agreement that as it was for the wedding she would pay half into my bank account each month.

This agreement was only verbal, and nothing was written down.

I have now unfortunately had to cancel the wedding, but my question is:

Contracts don't have to be in writing.

If this matter went to court it would boil down to who presented the most compelling argument to the judge.

The wedding was a joint venture. It seems reasonable that you and your fiancee would split the bill. And you have evidence she's been making payments towards the loan. On the face of it you have a fairly good case, however there's always another side to every story. :)

What would I do?

Send her a letter before action. In many cases that's enough to persuade someone to pay up.

Take her to court if she doesn't play ball. Fees here.

Worst case scenario is that you lose a few hundred quid.

Even if you win she may not pay up. However you'll have the comfort of knowing she'll struggle to get credit for the next few years.
  • matt6494
    Options
    No, there was still about half the cash left, which I have already repaid.
  • matt6494
    Options
    Thanks @snowtiger this is what I was thinking of but I didn't know if it was something I had made up, or whether this was the case.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    you might struggle to convince a court she is.

Not really, she can easily argue that she was just doing it to be nice.

Exactly the opposite, it's pretty obvious it's a joint venture, marriage usually is. The fact she has been paying half up until now is a definitive action that shows the agreement in practice so it would be easy to convince the judge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure