Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have refused to pay again for my shopping?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I paid for lunch at a supermarket self-service till by scanning its payment app, so it automatically charges my credit card and awards me loyalty points. I got the usual instant notifications (from that app and my credit card app) that the payment went through - but the till said it didn't. I alerted staff who insisted I pay again and told me I'd get an automatic refund if there was a double charge. I paid again, but should I have kicked up more of a fuss?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• General_Grant
    Options
    Is that a MORAL dilemma?

It would depend on how much I trusted the supermarket staff, which wouldn't be very highly in this case as if it went through twice they could say it was two meals you had paid for and not give a refund, certainly not automatically.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd like to know if the refund actually materialised? And which supermarket?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • MacMickster
    MacMickster Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pay a proper assistant at a proper till with cash.

Keep someone in a job, get a little bit of human interaction and no doubts about whether you've paid. No having to rely on fallible technology.

Simples!
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    Oh whatevs
    With love, POSR <3
  • Stevia
    Options
    This happened to me just before Christmas in Asda and I had bought a lot of stuff. I had no choice but to pay twice. I spoke with both asda HO and my bank, nothing either could do as it was a fault with the till! I did get a refund after two weeks. Apparently it happens often!!!&#55357;&#56900;
  • shirley999
    shirley999 Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was chased out of Frankie and Benny’s after paying on their app and like you ended up paying twice. I ended up with a £30 goodwill gesture for the embarrassment caused and never saw the staff member involved again.
  • PennyPinch
    Options
    I paid with card and pin but the real life checkout person told me because we were too busy interacting that I'd removed my card too soon and the payment failed so I had to do it again. Sure enough when statement checked I found two identical payments. Bank said talk to shop. I had to make purpose trip to shop to talk to them as no one answering phone. They said my bank will return it automatically when they realise. Happened on a Friday eve and money not returned until following Friday am. Not happy with the way ASDA dealt with it. Did complain but just wasted more of my time. For some people it could have made them overdrawn.
  • Bowmill
    Options
    When you put in your pin to pay for anything, the card machine gets in touch with the bank to process the payment. Sometimes the connection is lost. Card taken out too soon for instance. The money has been allocated to the retailer by the bank but the retailer's processing company has not received a valid authorisation number. The till shows the transaction as still to be paid. You then do it all again and the transaction is paid. The bank put the first lot of money into a pending account and eventually (7 -10 working days) the money drops back into the customer's account. :)
    Hope this helps people understand what goes on. Xx
  • harrycrac
    Options
    Same happened to me recently using an on line account debit card, payment went through and got an alert on phone to say transaction completed. However the card terminal would not display completed transaction, well that’s what the assistant told me. I had to pay again, the transactions were 3 minutes apart and it took two weeks to get my refund. I should of asked for a void transaction slip at time of transaction and stood my ground. I will next time.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, their faulty machine was to blame. I would have asked to speak with the manager, showed the approved statement on the app, and walked out. And never used their cafe again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback