GWR Overcrowding

Hi,

GWR service PAD>BRI 03/11/19 at 14:15hrs.

My partner and I travelled on the above train. We were allowed to board at 14:08 along with a mass surge of travellers. Like many others our coach was non existent (despite having the compulsory Seat Reservations). In fact the service consisted of FIVE carriages instead of NINE.
Consequentially there was severe overcrowding. Aisles, door areas - everywhere was cram packed with passengers, luggage pushchairs etc making it impossible to move. (At READING we struggled to alight and ran up the platform to the back of the train to 1st class and stand there - to Bristol).

In this coach one of the Train Managers operated the doors and I heard him say to a passenger endeavoring to board the following train had TEN coaches. At no time did the managers venture out of this carriage. No tickets checked so they had NO idea of the seriousness of overcrowding.I dread to think if there had been an incident. A clear and disgusting example of PROFIT BEFORE SAFETY.

No Bar/Buffet coach, no trolley service: you could not even get drinking water. Cattle would not be transported in this fashion.

Still awaiting a response from the CEO of GWR :mad:

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You are due standard compensation for being unable to use your reserved seats.

You can log your safety and related concerns with Passenger Focus.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Sounds busy but not so busy that you weren't able to get off and get back on again in a different carriage.

They have CCTV and of course platform staff can see through the windows so GWR will have known exactly how busy each carriage was.

Was your ticket valid on the following train? If not did you ask permission to get off and travel on the later train?

The journey is only just over an hour and a half so how did a lack of a trolley service/buffet car/drinking water put you in danger?

I'm not suggesting it was a pleasant journey but how exactly was it dangerous? If you thought the overcrowding was dangerous why did you stay on the train? And what did you want GWR to do at the time?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 November 2019 at 1:23AM
    I don’t see how you can expect a trolley to get through.
    You won’t die of dehydration on that journey, but The catering is somewhat unreliable so I take my own flask now.
    You haven’t said anything that implies it was unsafe.
    It’s not unheard of for people to stand on trains that go via reading. It’s normal at peak times. Yours was caused by the train being half the size.

If you thought it was dangerous why didn’t you get off and get the next train?

Apply for compensation, however this is normal at rush hour or when something goes wrong (as in your case). It’s not always GWRs fault and
    Presumably you preferred haLf a train to none at all.
    If it’s really dangerous (nothing you’ve said proves it was) then common sense is to get off and wait for the next one.

I’ve delayed before now to avoid this.
    My advice is to take you own flask if you can’t manage without a drink as catering is not guaranteed.

Oh and they won’t dispute validity of tickets if there is an issue.
    I’ve been getting them for years, been on the wrong train many times and never had an issue. They always know if there’s been a problem, cancellation and don’t have an issue with it where there’s a genuine problem.

If it had been summer they would have probably passed water down.

The trains are appalling and you are clearly not used to that, but there is nothing unsafe and no one is going to dehydrate in November on a short haul journey.
  • 001uk wrote: »
    Hi,

My partner and I travelled on the above train. We were allowed to board at 14:08 along with a mass surge of travellers. Like many others our coach was non existent (despite having the compulsory Seat Reservations). In fact the service consisted of FIVE carriages instead of NINE.
    Consequentially there was severe overcrowding. Aisles, door areas - everywhere was cram packed with passengers, luggage pushchairs etc making it impossible to move. (At READING we struggled to alight and ran up the platform to the back of the train to 1st class and stand there - to Bristol).

In this coach one of the Train Managers operated the doors and I heard him say to a passenger endeavoring to board the following train had TEN coaches. At no time did the managers venture out of this carriage. No tickets checked so they had NO idea of the seriousness of overcrowding.I dread to think if there had been an incident. A clear and disgusting example of PROFIT BEFORE SAFETY.

No Bar/Buffet coach, no trolley service: you could not even get drinking water. Cattle would not be transported in this fashion.

So you had a 1st class ticket which entitled you to use this coach or (as happens sometimes at the discretion of on board staff) you were given permission to do so?
    Back on the trains again!

• yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    If a train is so busy that you feel the conditions are poor, my advice would be to alight from the train and to take the next available train.

It is unlikely that conditions on the train were unsafe, but if people feel unsafe it would be advisable to alight and take the next available train.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I can see why trains with as lot of standing passengers can be unpleasant and uncomfortable but why are they unsafe? You could argue that someone losing their balance as the train brakes or goes round a curve is safer as they are going to be supported by neighbouring passengers rather than falling over.
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    martindow wrote: »
    You could argue that someone losing their balance as the train brakes or goes round a curve is safer as they are going to be supported by neighbouring passengers rather than falling over.

I look forward to the staff incorporating this theory into the announcement they make to apologise for overcrowding, it will go down a treat I'm sure ;)
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    lammy82 wrote: »
    I look forward to the staff incorporating this theory into the announcement they make to apologise for overcrowding, it will go down a treat I'm sure ;)
    I certainly wouldn't announce this if I were the conductor either!

It was a response to the claim that overcrowded trains are dangerous. They are certainly uncomfortable and unpleasant but are they really dangerous?
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,933 Forumite
    001uk wrote: »
    ... Consequentially there was severe overcrowding...... No tickets checked so they had NO idea of the seriousness of overcrowding.I dread to think if there had been an incident. A clear and disgusting example of PROFIT BEFORE SAFETY....
    Oh please! Get a grip. Those of us who take trains know that these things happen from time to time.

If it's as crowded as you say, then there is no way for the ticket inspector to get through, and certainly not the drinks trolley.

It's not great, but sometimes it is what's needed to get people to their destination.

If you felt so strongly that it was unsafe, you should have alighted.
  • 001uk wrote: »
    Hi,

Maybe the CEO will ask you if there were too many people allowed on the train
    If you say yes he might ask if you were the one too many!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback