cyclist deaths & the law

Options

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Geodark wrote: »
    No, but I can get on a bike without learning the highway code and do what I want on the roads. I drive a car and I ride a motorbike and some of the stunts I have seen cyclists pull amaze me! going through red lights, wrong lane on roundabouts, cutting lanes without indicating - nearly got one the other day going cutting from the inside lane to turn right on a roundabout without indicating and then he screamed at me when I nearly hit him! there should be some form of training for cyclists to be on the road - similar to the CBT for motorbikes. it isnt always the drivers fault!!!

Most cyclists also have cars.....
    The problem with drivers that go to bicycles is they think think "hey i'm a pedestrian". You ride a motorbike so you wouldn't understand, but get a driver onto a bicycle and when they get to red lights they often don't see why they need to stop.

The other point is that whilst on your daily commute, you might see the same Ford, VX, BMW or whatever very rarely, you ALWAYS see the same cyclist. The reason is speed, you'll pass that cyclist every day, but the car driver could be 2 mins ahead or 2mins behind and you'll never know. So your much more likely to see the same misbehaving cyclist than to see the same misbehaving driver.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 June 2013 at 12:25PM
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Exactly as I mentioned, it's about safety, but drivers take it the wrong way...... The fact is, you can't cycle in a door zone, whether there is a cycle lane or not, if someone opens a door your history. You have to take control at pinch points or your inviting some idiot to squeeze through.
    Drivers don't see the danger, they just see a cyclist being an annoying c**t.

The problem really is that 80%+ of drivers don't plan ahead, they don't see the queue, they don't see the red lights, they just go into "must get in front of cyclist" mode.

When cycling, I will always tend to give way to other vehicles simply for the benefit of my own safety.

Some of the annoying behaviours are of dubious value, anyway. The advanced cycle stop boxes, for example. Unless you are turning right, then they simply put you in front of a bunch of irate drivers - why would you want to be there? Not only that, but I'm sure they encourage red-light offences.

I agree about bad driving - but for me that just compounds the argument that cyclists need to take more responsibility for their own safety.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-23007341
    A driver who killed a 75-year-old cyclist taking part in a road race has been given a five-month suspended jail sentence.

Peter Barraclough hit Leonard Grayson on the A19 near Thirsk, North Yorkshire, in August.

Mr Grayson died instantly after Barraclough drove into the back of him, throwing him over the car roof.

Barraclough pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving at Teeside Crown Court.

The court heard that Barraclough, 30, from East Cowton near Northallerton, initially thought he had hit a bird before he stopped, looked in his mirror and realised he had struck Mr Grayson.

Peter Makepeace, prosecuting, described the incident last August as "an extremely tragic road traffic accident".
    'Veteran rider'

He said Mr Grayson, who lived in Garforth, West Yorkshire with Kathleen, his wife of 49 years, was "by all accounts, a remarkable man who belied his years".

"In his younger years he was a nationally renowned amateur cyclist winning many cups and trophies," he said.

"He regained national recognition, this time as a veteran rider," Mr Makepeace added.

Barraclough had been working in nearby Topcliffe and was driving his Alfa Romeo along the A19 within the speed limit shortly before the accident, the court was told.

"There's no evidence to suggest Mr Barraclough was speeding," Mr Makepeace said.

He added that signs were in place warning motorists of the event, which Barraclough later told police he had seen.
    'Sincere condolences'

Police accident investigators said Barraclough would have seen Mr Grayson for at least nine seconds.

But the defendant admitted he had been looking at a low loader lorry on the opposite carriageway just before the crash, the court was told.

Ian West, defending, told Mr Grayson's family, who were in court: "On behalf of Peter Barraclough, can I express his sincere condolences to Kathleen Grayson and her family?

"He could not be more remorseful. He is a decent man, a hard-working man. His life is scarred by this tragic accident as well, as I'm sure Mr Grayson's family understands."

Judge Peter Bowers said Barraclough's driving fell "substantially below what was acceptable".

He decided not to jail Barraclough immediately, but gave him a five-month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, and ordered him to do 250 hours of unpaid work.

He also banned him from driving for 18 months
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    This is completely the wrong attitude, and is exactly what is causing the problem. You cannot change the basic physics of the road situation. Cars are big and heavy and drivers sit in relative safety inside them. Bikes and cyclists not so much.

Instead of complaining about driver behaviour - most of which will inevitably go unpunished even in the event of an accident - cyclists need to re-learn to cycle defensively.

It's the only way to make progress on this, IMHO.

Most drivers dont want to run over cyclists, so the safest for a cyclist is to be seen. And being infront of cars means the the driver can easily see you.

Thats also why its recomended to cycle in the primary position. Not only does it prevent drivers from trying close overtakes but it also puts you in the most visible place.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    This is what happens when cyclists take illegal short cuts.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2013/06/20/family-apologises-to-driver-who-killed-son/

Only today I saw a cyclist ride up a busy one way street the wrong way and then turn off into another which was narrower!
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 June 2013 at 5:10PM
    Options
    Tilt wrote: »
    This is what happens when cyclists take illegal short cuts.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2013/06/20/family-apologises-to-driver-who-killed-son/

Only today I saw a cyclist ride up a busy one way street the wrong way and then turn off into another which was narrower!

No really sure of your point
    however here's what happens when a driver does the same at a junction
    notice something different?

http://road.cc/content/news/85744-£55-fine-and-three-points-driver-who-left-cyclist-broken-leg-elbow-weeks-hospital

Als obe aware there are one way streets that dont apply to cyclists
    have 2 I know of in Edinburgh,maybe more
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Tilt wrote: »

What relevance is the girlfriend to the story, other than to provide emotional filler?
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    bod1467 wrote: »
    What relevance is the girlfriend to the story, other than to provide emotional filler?

Probably is.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure