PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Freeholder refusing request for dog unreasonably

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Where the dog comes from seems to me totally irrelevant.

A pedigree dog may bark, crap or smell far more than a rescue dog.

Yes, possibly if you got every leaseholder in the building to sign a letter/petition requesting the LL to consider dog applications individually on their merits, the LL might review his policy.

Though he may still be concerned about damage to the communal areas/gardens even if all leaseholders are unconcerned.
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Were you not aware of this clause when you bought the flat?
    If so, and having a dog was so important to you then why did you purchase this flat and not one without this clause?
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • 3mph
    3mph Posts: 247 Forumite
    We have the same clause in our lease and fortunately the Management Company / Freeholder (which all leaseholders are members of) takes the view no dogs. But I suspect you cannot have a clear cut ban because of registered assistant dogs. So anyone wanting one just as a pet (which to me makes no sense in a flat for the dog or the other leaseholders) will get refused.
  • John_Jones
    John_Jones Posts: 208 Forumite
    HP1234 wrote: »
    To be clear, we!!!8217;re not looking to breed any dogs !!!55357;!!!56834; I meant that we!!!8217;d be getting the dog from a reputable breeder.

The points about granting our request opening the floodgates for other people also wanting one are actually really valid. But I think (hope!) that these people should also have to prove that they are responsible owners.

I get that not everyone is a dog person. But do you think if the other leaseholders consented, that would make a difference to the decision?
    I would be surprised, what is in it for the freeholder?

It is harsh, I know, my building has a similar rule but we allow pets as long as they are well behaved.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you want a dog, buy a freehold house with a garden. End of. If you cannot afford to, don't have a dog. That's life and it is not as if you were not aware of the conditions of renting before you signed the tenancy agreement.
  • financegeek
    financegeek Posts: 140 Forumite
    Again reputable breeder or not, you can still end up with all sorts of issues that the other leaseholders don't want to have to deal with.

Also how do you expect to prove your a responsible owner? for all the management company know you could pay for a dog then leave it to bark it's head off while you're at work for 12 hours a day. I'm sure you won't do that, but the management company really have no way of knowing.

As much as i love dogs if one of the flats in my building asked my consent for them to get a dog i wouldn't give it. when owning a flat you're just in too close a proximity to other people for it to be fair on your neighbours unfortunaetly.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is there a breed of dog that will assure to never bark? Can you sue the breeder for breach of contract if the dog happens to like to test its voice?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can't be that good a breeder if they are letting one of their pups go live in a flat.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A reputable breeder is irrelevant

You say other would have to prove responsible pet ownership.... yet you haven't and cannot until you have a dog.

How do you propose they do the same? As above you pet may bark all the time causing everyone a nuisance. They wouldn't know and getting rid is harder than saying yes.

I managed 3 blocks of flats once on a complex. 1 was 100% leaseholder. 1 shared owner and one social. All governed by a s106 no pets.

Extremely hard to enforce but evictions did take place as a consequence of it.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 May 2018 at 9:06PM
    You might want to Google search for the recent case where leaseholders challenged the refusal by the freeholder to allow them to keep their handbag dog in their apartment. The case cost the couple an eyewatering amount of money - and they lost.

Edit: this is the case

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5330855/Couple-lose-court-bid-dog-luxury-flat.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure