How many hours?

Morning Good People, A question please? how many hours does the job centre expect to do whilst looking for a job after being made redundant.

And do I have to contact the job centre the day after I leave the Company (that will be Thursday) and will I get JSA or not because I will have been PILON.

Thank you, Carol
LBM 10/9/13 £40,571 (SCARY). NOW DECEMBER 2016 £31,805.
PROUD AND STILL SCARED BUT PLODDING.

SPC 551

Comments

• Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,830
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The way I understand it you have to spend 8 hours a day looking for work when you are on JSA. I was told I had to do this and was only able to claim Nat Ins contributions.

Maybe if you are not looking for a job full time should you be claiming JSA?
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• carol1963_2
    carol1963_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
    That's all I will get (NI contributions) and I'm searching for full time employment so sorry if I got the terminology incorrect.
    LBM 10/9/13 £40,571 (SCARY). NOW DECEMBER 2016 £31,805.
    PROUD AND STILL SCARED BUT PLODDING.

SPC 551
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Unless you are lacking NI contribution years in your record I don't think it's worth the hassle of signing on for JSA just to get the credits, especially with the job hunting effort they expect you to make now.

My previous experience of signing on (when I was receiving full JSA, before the current rules came into being)) was that to try to look for jobs 8 hours a day would be soul destroying and possibly counter productive - I was able to prioritise quality over quantity in my job searching.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »

My previous experience of signing on (when I was receiving full JSA, before the current rules came into being)) was that to try to look for jobs 8 hours a day would be soul destroying and possibly counter productive - I was able to prioritise quality over quantity in my job searching.

I agree with this, its what I don't like about claiming JSA, in return for the payments you agree to look for a job any job but to give yourself a chance in securing a job you need to spend some quality time on the application, obviously depends what job your looking for, a highly paid job then you need to spend time on the application.

OP if you do apply for JSA yes apply for it the day after you leave, they will tell you if you can get it or not.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If the 1963 in your name is the year you were born then get a state pension estimate and see how many more years you need. That will be a big factor in deciding whether you care about NI contributions or not.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Xbigman wrote: »
    If the 1963 in your name is the year you were born then get a state pension estimate and see how many more years you need. That will be a big factor in deciding whether you care about NI contributions or not.

Darren

Hi I would be interested in how to do this. Wasn't born in 1963 but a few years later and fear that l may be made redundant this year and want to be prepared as much as possible. TIA
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Kit1 wrote: »
    Hi I would be interested in how to do this. Wasn't born in 1963 but a few years later and fear that l may be made redundant this year and want to be prepared as much as possible. TIA

Just in case every search engine has stopped working for you, try these.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,672
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    carol1963 wrote: »
    That's all I will get (NI contributions) and I'm searching for full time employment so sorry if I got the terminology incorrect.

Are you sure about that ?

If you've been working enough to have a full NI record for tax years 2015-2016 and 2016-17 then you should be entitled to contributions based JSA for the first six months - this pays £73.10 a week if you're over 25, as well as giving you NI credits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure