Investments, advisers, and commission

Options
Back in 2001 we invested a substantial (for us) lump sum in a "Prudential Bond" on the recommendation of a financial adviser.

We have received annual statements direct from the Pru. The investment has grown in value, so we have no complaint about "mis-selling". But the most recent statement indicated (for the first time) the adviser listed in the Pru's records.... and it was a company we had never heard of.

In answer to my query the Pru has replied saying that the policy "was taken out through company X [the adviser we had dealt with], however the business was transferred to company Y [financial planners we had never heard of] in 2012. The companies involved.... should have made you aware of the changes."

I have no issue with the adviser whose advice we took receiving commission when we began the policy. We have sought and received no other or more recent advice from that adviser. Nor have we had notification - from anywhere - of a change. I do not see why a company which had, and has, no role in advising us should now be recorded as being "our" advisers.

Presumably they are collecting some form of trail commission from the Pru in respect of a policy which they had no part in recommending?

I would rather that money were not deducted (which I assume it is) from our policy, thereby reducing its growth, to reward a firm who have done nothing to earn it.

Can I recoup that money? Or at least notify the Pru that this firm are not our advisers, and that I wish any ongoing commission they might otherwise pay out to them to remain invested in our policy?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 May 2018 at 12:30AM
    Options
    Back in 2001 we invested a substantial (for us) lump sum in a "Prudential Bond" on the recommendation of a financial adviser.

Great fund back then. Much cheaper than the version they have today. I still have a number on my books from that period and not one of the people is unhappy. its one of those products/funds that is unfashionable. not modern and flash and has no bells and whistles in terms of functionality but just does what it is meant to do.
    But the most recent statement indicated (for the first time) the adviser listed in the Pru's records.... and it was a company we had never heard of.

Not uncommon. A lot of companies have sub brands or trading names. Some of our agencies are under an old name and some a new name. Some under the old name that merged into ours. Some companies belong to networks/groups and its under the network/group name. Insurers dont often help as they sometimes abbreviate them into meaningless garbage.

Plus, there has been a lot of consolidation of companies over the years. If the book wasnt sold and the company merged into another then its continuation. If you are not a servicing client (i.e. you are not employing the advisers to give you ongoing servicing) then they will never know to contact you. No contact in 17 years is or so doesnt put you on their radar.
    In answer to my query the Pru has replied saying that the policy "was taken out through company X [the adviser we had dealt with], however the business was transferred to company Y [financial planners we had never heard of] in 2012. The companies involved.... should have made you aware of the changes."

Not necessarily. Sometimes its a merger or a name change through consolidation. So, a continuation. If there is no commission being paid then you are effectively a transactional client and you wouldnt even be known to them.
    I do not see why a company which had, and has, no role in advising us should now be recorded as being "our" advisers.

Being on an agency is not the same as being your advisers. But if you dont want them then get Pru to remove them as agent.
    Presumably they are collecting some form of trail commission from the Pru in respect of a policy which they had no part in recommending?

Unlikely but it doesnt matter if they are. It is not at any cost to you.
    I would rather that money were not deducted (which I assume it is) from our policy, thereby reducing its growth, to reward a firm who have done nothing to earn it.

That is an incorrect assumption. That isnt how the 2001 pru bond worked.
    Can I recoup that money?

There is nothing to recoup as there is nothing you have paid.
    and that I wish any ongoing commission they might otherwise pay out to them to remain invested in our policy?
    That is not how it works either. If you ask Pru to remove the adviser firm as agent, then Pru will keep any future commission (if any). You are not paying the commission. Its not an explicit charge.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Unlikely but it doesnt matter if they are. It is not at any cost to you.

Somebody has to pay for the commission - surely it can only be the customers of the Pru who are paying for it whether directly or indirectly?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    jaybeetoo wrote: »
    Somebody has to pay for the commission - surely it can only be the customers of the Pru who are paying for it whether directly or indirectly?

Yes they do. However, the amount paid in commission and the actual charges are not linked like for like. Pru paid the commission.

A fee is explicit. i.e if the fee was £500 then £500 was deducted. Whereas a commission is not explicit. A commission of £500 does not mean £500 was deducted.

Many of these plans had no ongoing attached to them. If they did, it was through a sacrifice of upfront commision. However, in either case, the charges to the investor were exactly the same.

As I said in the bit you quoted, it doesnt matter as there is no cost to investor at this point.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    jaybeetoo wrote: »

Theres's no "surely" about it.

It is a business cost of the Prudential. The customers aren't the owners of the business - it isn't a mutual - so ultimately costs are borne by the shareholders, out of the profits of the company.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have a contract with the Pru for them to invest money for you, net of stated charges.
    Pru has a contract to pay an adviser commission, based on an agreement you had with an adviser a long time ago.
    If you tell Pru that you no longer have an agreement with the adviser and want them to stop paying commission, they will do so.
    However, your contract with the Pru does not change and the stated charges remain unchanged.
    On the other hand, the Pru now incur lower costs of doing business which will add to their profit.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd be interested to know the structure of this 2001 Prudential Bond and the returns.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • br1anstorm
    br1anstorm Posts: 215 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2018 at 9:16PM
    Options
    Thanks to all who have replied. It seems that even if some sort of trail commission is being paid (and according to dunstonh this is not necessarily the case) it is not being deducted directly from my investment but is funded indirectly from the Pru's overall business-management costs. I conclude that I am not being directly penalised and cannot recoup any money. Still means that the arrangements for payment of commission are opaque, though.

So be it. Did make me wonder, though, why the Pru regarded this 'unknown' (to me) company as my adviser. So I have searched online - and found the explanation: company X, which sold us the policy, was taken over or merged (but oddly, only in 2016, not 2012) with company Y. I have had no communication from either. But as has been pointed out, since I had no ongoing arrangement with company X for services or advice, maybe they simply don't bother.

In answer to bostonerimus, the product was a Prudence Initial Charge Bond. It is made up of 20 identical policies, all invested in the Pru's Life With Profits fund. We invested a lump sum of £30k in 2001. The documents refer to an "allocation rate" of 102.75% resulting in the original investment being £31,009.95. The documents state that the initial charge was 5% (?), but it's not clear exactly what amount might have been paid to company X for selling us the bond. The latest cash-in valuation is £70,920 (current bond value £47,557, non-guaranteed final bonus £23,363).

Not sure how these various figures and % were worked out; but as a savings/investment product, it seems to have done better than some other options... so I have no complaint.
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    If we include the "non-guaranteed" bonus your bond has risen by about 5% every year. You could probably have fairly easily got a couple of percent more by investing yourself. Going with these insurance company products does often give a measure of protection from market volatility, but at a significant cost in added expenses. My rule of thumb is that you buy insurance from insurance companies and not investments.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Thanks to all who have replied. It seems that even if some sort of trail commission is being paid (and according to dunstonh this is not necessarily the case) it is not being deducted directly from my investment but is funded indirectly from the Pru's overall business-management costs. I conclude that I am not being directly penalised and cannot recoup any money. Still means that the arrangements for payment of commission are opaque, though.

Commission ended on new business in 2013. Explicit fees replaced it. Pru's version of the product today is more expensive than the version you have. So, its not all bad. Sometimes the commission system threw up some strange outcomes. We had some Aviva bonds around 2005-2009 which had a negative reduction in yield. i.e. the provider paid you more than you paid charges.
    Did make me wonder, though, why the Pru regarded this 'unknown' (to me) company as my adviser.

Terminology differences. Servicing agent. Servicing adviser, servicing company, intermediary etc etc. all variations of a theme. If you had never used an adviser in the first place and bought direct, they would still refer to it as an adviser
    In answer to bostonerimus, the product was a Prudence Initial Charge Bond. It is made up of 20 identical policies, all invested in the Pru's Life With Profits fund. We invested a lump sum of £30k in 2001. The documents refer to an "allocation rate" of 102.75% resulting in the original investment being £31,009.95. The documents state that the initial charge was 5% (?), but it's not clear exactly what amount might have been paid to company X for selling us the bond. The latest cash-in valuation is £70,920 (current bond value £47,557, non-guaranteed final bonus £23,363).

I just checked an illustration issued in that period of the same product and the commission disclosure was on page 3 of the 4 page illustration. Ironically, the company name in that illustration was not ours as Pru had our agency name wrong for many years. Pru reconfirmed the amount in the cancellation rights issued at that time.
    Not sure how these various figures and % were worked out; but as a savings/investment product, it seems to have done better than some other options... so I have no complaint.

its a yesteryear product but one that has done exactly what you want. i cannot recall anyone being unhappy with one of these from that period. Most other bonds we have moved people off but the Pru ones we leave where they are as they do the job.

Please do not take any notice of people that post to say you could probably do better elsewhere. They dont understand the product and risk level and what it does.
  • bostonerimus
    edited 21 May 2018 at 6:20AM
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »

Please do not take any notice of people that post to say you could probably do better elsewhere. They dont understand the product and risk level and what it does.

Given the OPs figures they could have done better, but they could easily have done worse too. I assume the "non-guaranteed" bonus just means it's variable as without it the return is meager, but if the OP understands this and is using the bond as part of a larger portfolio then that might be just fine. I would be grateful to fully understand this product and it's benefits, the way investment gains are managed and the payouts possible. So could you explain and maybe I'll understand a bit more about investing through an insurance company with this type of product. I still stand by my assertion that buying investments through an insurance company product is usually expensive, of course many people, including me, think it's sometimes worth it if it fulfills a function in a portfolio.

For example. I have a deferred annuity with an insurance company the guarantees 3% interest every year plus an annual bonus which is currently 2%....so no chance that I'll ever lose money and I'll get 5% interest this year. It's part of my low risk fixed income allocation. I don't know the fees, but that is a deal with the Devil that I'm happy to make.

To the OP I imagine the "Initial Charge" bit of your bond means that you paid an initial fee, this might well have been covered by the insurance company and paid to your broker as commission. I seems that you also got a percentage of your lump sum added on, that's a nice tool to help sell stuff. I class those as sales gimmicks. You will be paying fees on the funds you own and probably an annual management fee to the insurance company. Is there any guaranteed return or floor or is this just a tax advantaged way to invest in a managed portfolio?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure