benefits and supported accommodation

Options
I'm 37 male who has bipolar, ocd and alcohol misuse. I live with my mum and am soon moving into council supported accommodation for people with mental health problems.

I'm in the support group of esa and medium rate pip.

Do you think they'll take me of pip and put me into the wrag group for esa?

Comments

• sunnys8080
    Options
    Possibly because they'll teach me how to budget my money and i'll have to cook my own food.
  • nicetomeetyou
    Options
    If its just council accommodation and your aren't receiving support from social services i.e. direct payments/social service support package they will not touch your PIP. If you are receiving or going to be receiving support from social services and you haven't been on a section 3 mental health act social services can ask you to contribute out your PIP for the services you use.
  • nicetomeetyou
    nicetomeetyou Posts: 310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 November 2017 at 9:22PM
    Options
    Its not the benefits people that take the PIP off the person its social services if that person is deemed as needing support unless you have section 117 aftercare You still get paid PIP but the care compound goes to pay social services. I live in supported living and I have 117 aftercare because I have been on a section 3. This means I don't have to pay anything toward my support costs. There are people here who have to pay a majority of their care compound to social services because they have been assessed and their care award goes towards the social services budget.
  • nicetomeetyou
    Options
    Sunny. I have schizoaffective disorder and I moved into supported living 7 years ago after struggling on my own. It was the best move I ever made. Depending on what setting your in. Here with the staff and tenants it feels like a family, we all have eating and cooking nights and film nights, Its a home and not just individual rooms in a house where people do different things. We have 24/7 staff. Its more set up here for learning disabilities. I don't know how it'll be for people with alcohol misuse issues, it could either be good or bad, either homely or like a hostel. It depends.

What I do know is that living in supported living has a positive effect on benefits.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Its not the benefits people that take the PIP off the person its social services if that person is deemed as needing support unless you have section 117 aftercare You still get paid PIP but the care compound goes to pay social services. I live in supported living and I have 117 aftercare because I have been on a section 3. This means I don't have to pay anything toward my support costs. There are people here who have to pay a majority of their care compound to social services because they have been assessed and their care award goes towards the social services budget.

Please read the OP. They ask if they'll be taken off PIP, meaning will the DWP reduce their award. You are answering a different question (although it is something the OP should consider).

OP your award will only be reduced if your care needs reduce (or in the case of ESA, if your capability for work improves). The DWP do reduce (and increase) awards for those with bipolar, as everyone's condition will be different and will vary over time. Don't worry about it for now, your support team will advise you if there is such a time when you need to notify them of a change in condition.
  • nicetomeetyou
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Please read the OP. They ask if they'll be taken off PIP, meaning will the DWP reduce their award. You are answering a different question (although it is something the OP should consider).

Oh sorry.

If thats the case they will going take PIP award off you if you are going into a care setting, i.e. they are providing meals and its a care home and not supported living. If supported living you will continue getting PIP.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 November 2017 at 10:39PM
    Options
    OP - NO; for PIP the fact that you are in supported housing demonstrates the care needs you have.

When the time comes to complete renewal forms for PIP & ESA, please get help to fill these in. Get your support worker to contact your local CAB / advice agency and to go to the appointment with you.

What do you mean by the medium rate of PIP?
    PIP has 2 components for Daily Living and mobility. Both can be awarded at the Standard or Enhanced rate.

Are you getting the DL component?
    Does anyone claim Carers Allowance on your behalf?

You may be entitled to the SDP premium on your ESA when you move -
    see https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Severe-Disability-Premium/What-is-a-Severe-Disability-Premium
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • sunnys8080
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I have to move because I've had a psychotic breakdown. I'm seeing the psychiatrist to change meds.

My mum wants me out and so do the neighbours. The police are involved and so are the council.

I get the standard rate of pip and am in the support group for esa.

Everyone looks and stares at me wherever I go sending me more paranoid and I've been catching taxis everywhere. My mum cooks my food or I order takeaways.

It's just that in 2011-2012 I was in supported accommodation (non mental health), before I was diagnosed with bipolar and they took me off esa support group and put me in the wrag until I moved back with my mum.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    sunnys8080 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. I have to move because I've had a psychotic breakdown. I'm seeing the psychiatrist to change meds.

My mum wants me out and so do the neighbours. The police are involved and so are the council.

I get the standard rate of pip and am in the support group for esa.

Everyone looks and stares at me wherever I go sending me more paranoid and I've been catching taxis everywhere. My mum cooks my food or I order takeaways.

It's just that in 2011-2012 I was in supported accommodation (non mental health), before I was diagnosed with bipolar and they took me off esa support group and put me in the wrag until I moved back with my mum.

It sounds like you have very, very little to worry about. Even if you learn to cook there are lots of other areas you'd gain points. I can't remember how they phrase it but one descriptor is about appropriate behaviour with others. It sounds like you'd get full points on that alone. (I'm not judging you, just explaining how the benefit works).

When your benefits need renewing, which they will at some point regardless of whether you move, get help from someone like CAB or Mind.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • sunnys8080
    Options
    Oh dear. The supported housing there putting me in is for substance misusers not mentally ill people. The council told me. That means I will not be prompted to have a bath, cook my meals, they will teach me to budget my money. They are definitely going to take away my pip which i've only just one after appeal.

I can't believe this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport