Topping up Revolut card with Credit Card

Options
darren72
darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I know you can now top-up the Revolut card with a credit card, but does anyone know if this gets classified as a cash advance/currency purchase and therefore incur additional cash advance fees ?

Comments

• The_Urbanite
    The_Urbanite Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It depends on how the credit card issuer codes the transaction. Trial and error...
  • darren72
    Options
    Has anyone any personal experience?
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    I'd dearly like to get a clear answer to this. If you ask their customer services they say purchase. Someone in the Revolut "community" forum reported that Santander charged him a cash fee when using a 123 card via (Apple/Android)?Pay, but not when he used the card directly.

Revolut's T&Cs say you can't use the card to "Provide yourself a cash advance from your credit card (or help others to do so)" which I guess if strictly interpreted would mean you can only use the balance from a credit card top up for purchases, not for ATM withdrawals or withdrawals to a current account.
  • faddy
    Options
    I've just loaded my card with £10 from a Nationwide credit card, and my CC available balance has gone down by £10.10 so evidently the 1% is added to the charge to the CC, not deducted from the amount loaded.

If Nationwide was treating this as a cash transaction, does anyone know if it would have been reduced the available balance at the same time as the transaction or if it's only charged once the transaction shows on the account?
  • darren72
    Options
    I'm very interested in knowing this. Would like to use my Creation card or my Barclaycard cashback card.
  • faddy
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    I'm very interested in knowing this. Would like to use my Creation card or my Barclaycard cashback card.

You are aware of the 1% Revolut charges for credit card top ups, irrespective of what the credit card may or may not charge?
  • darren72
    Options
    faddy wrote: »
    You are aware of the 1% Revolut charges for credit card top ups, irrespective of what the credit card may or may not charge?

Yes, but I get 1% cashback on the card so that fee is wiped out by that.
  • Bmwm3gt2
    Bmwm3gt2 Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone used Amex to top up? Thanks
  • faddy
    Options
    Can now confirm that Lloyds, Halifax and Nationwide all treat Revolut top ups as purchases. However doing several top-ups from three cards and transferring the proceeds to my current account resulted in my Revolut app being blocked until I contacted them via Twitter and had to offer an explanation of what I'd been doing.
  • darren72
    Options
    Out of interest what explanation did you use ?

Does anyone have any experience of this with a Creation card and/or Barclaycard ?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport