PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Welcome yamyam89, freezers/cupboards are so good in tight money weeks!
    Grocery order today so a few things added to freezers/cupboards .
    In: baguettes, butter beans, thai green curry paste, tom yum paste, cupasoup
    Out: singapore noodles, root ginger, turkey breast steak, 1/2 red chilli, weetabix

Used up: coleslaw
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Grocery order today (didn't bother previous two times). However, only ordered a few fridge and store cupboard ingredients. These will combine well with what I already have in stock.
  • dannie
    My next grocery order might be on the 31st of this month. Not sure if I will be buying anymore food (locally) until then. Presently, "still on course" to have 3 out of 4 freezer drawers empty.
  • caronc
    Yesterday & today
    In: smoked mackerel, tattie scones

Out: pollock, coconut milk, tea bags

Used up: beansprouts, baby corn, 1/3 of a pepper, mini pork pies
  • yamyam89
    yamyam89 Posts: 17 Forumite
    In: £5.50 at Lidl, bringing my spend for this workweek to £10.65, however 49p went on shampoo and 59p on toothpaste.

Managed to stretch the turkey mince and leftover tomato sauce to cover three portions of dinner and one lunch portion, using tinned toms, peas, and black bean pasta from the cupboards/freezer.

Wife lucked out with a steak we've had in the freezer with chips for tea last night!

I just nabbed two packs of Monster Munch going free in the work kitchen - I don't normally eat them but, since they're free, and I've still not been paid...! Will surprise the wife with a bag tonight, her choice between flaming hot and pickled onion, the lucky thing...!
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I seem to be all mealed out at the moment. Usually I like cooking, and thinking of ways to use stuff up, but I've lost my mojo. Reading the above is making me feel guilty and useless!!

Mind, the other day I made three portions of broccoli and cauli soup from some left over florets. I used carrot, onion and celery as a base, and added a potato for thickening purposes. It was nice.

Must pull self together.
  • caronc
    I think we all hit unispired spells so I wouldn't beat yourself up about it!

Today
    In: nothing
    Out: Spanish chicken stew, pitta bread
    Used up: radishes
  • dannie
    No food purchases since last Wednesday. Used up all of the "carrot and turnip glut" apart from that in recipes. Keeping busy decluttering indoors but today might venture out so might lead to any food "bargains".
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Hi, first time poster :)
    I've just done first big freezer inventory for months so no big shop this week, I'm in the easy-pickings phase, and only needed to buy 5 things altogether

Out: used 3 pots of left-over for dinners (Green Thai chicken, sweet potato and spinach curry, paprika chicken (meat for OH, veggie for me :D ), bagels, bread and pitta breads for lunch, a bit of my huge frozen cauliflower stash and some frozen about-to-go-out-of-date milk for cauliflower cheese

In: 5 whole YL kippers, 1 YL tortilla cut into small wedges

Bought YL cheese, lettuce and potatoes, otherwise it was all from stock so total meal spend £4.85 :D:D
  • dannie
    Just one "yellow-sticker" acquired since last Wednesday and also some milk on special offer. Still using up what I have and at the moment, it is 3 freezer drawers from 4 empty.

Good luck to people new to this challenge!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback