Extension issue?

Options
Hi all!

My partner and I are looking at buying a house. It has a double story extension and the seal for the join seems to be coming away.
We are looking to get a builder to have a look before we make an offer but I am waiting to hear back from the estate agent about when this is possible and can’t stop thinking about it.
I was wondering if it’s anything that would actually be cause for concern. I wanted to put in a link with photos because I literally know nothing about these types of things and don’t really know how to explain it properly but I’m not able to as a new user. I will try in the comments

Thanks

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Post a link and remove the dots at the end
  • tkb7
    tkb7 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    Post a link and remove the dots at the end

Thank you but any link I have doesn't have dots at the end. So I'm not able to post images :huh:

The join is like the seal around a bath or shower, and I noticed that new builds have the same join on the sides, or front of the houses if they are semi-detached or terraced.
    The house we are looking at was built in the 1990s.
    We noticed other houses around about that had extended in the same way also had this silicone seal but the issue with the house we are looking at is the seal isn't touching on both sides, if that makes sense? :doh:
    My partner thinks it will be okay because there is no cracking in the brickwork at the bottom of the house but he isn't exactly an expert in this area :p
  • Newuser1987
    Options
    I would try and get a structural engineer round not a builder.
    Sounds like the extension has settled differently to the house. How big of a gap are we talking 10mm or 40mm...?
    An engineer would potentially go back to building control records and look at the foundation design etc and look more closely what the issue could be and how serious it is.
    A builder would just stick a finger in the air. One builder might advise to fill in the mastic another may advise to knock the whole thing down.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tkb7 wrote: »
    Thank you but any link I have doesn't have dots at the end. So I'm not able to post images :huh:

if you link looks like this http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68135462.html

change it to rightmove co uk/property-for-sale/property-68135462.html
  • tkb7
    Options
    That was another things, I wasn't sure if a builder would be the right person for the job.

I would say closer to 10mm but it varies as it goes up the wall.

Thank you, I will look into a structural engineer now.
  • tkb7
    Options
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    if you link looks like this

change it to rightmove co uk/property-for-sale/property-68135462.html

s18.postimg.org/8y6rgfkop/IMG_0354.jpg
    s18.postimg.org/pypnp5ng9/IMG_0693.jpg

Thank you! Seems towork without the html part.
  • Newuser1987
    Options
    This looks pretty minor to me. There could be a host of reasons for this. Time of the year that the extension was built being one of those.

I would speak to an engineer if you are concerned. They may just charge you a small fee to come out but might put you at ease.
  • tkb7
    Options
    So it's not something that would worry you?

The only reason my partner is worried is because his Dad has said it might not be so good. But he's being negative about the whole house anyway!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Newuser1987
    Options
    The silicone joint looks too big anyway which could be the cause of the problem. The brick below DPC has not cracked at all. This to me suggests the builder when rendering left too much of gap between the old render and the new and tried to fill the difference with silicone. If the silicone joint is too big it would probably contract in that way anyway. Could have happened days/months after the build.

The reason why there is a joint there anyway and why they havent just tried to join it with the existing is because you are required to have movement joints. This is because a small amount of movement is expected. So looks like the joint has done its job.

This is just my thoughts from a quick look at the photo so should be taken very lightly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure