Los Angeles

Options
Hi

I'm lucky enough to be going to LA early next year and i'd like to do a tour of the city. I don't really want to do a huge bus tour but more of a personal smaller group tour (6-8 People). Has anyone here done anything like this and has any recommendations?

I have found a few sites that offer these sort of tours but having never been before I don't want to get caught out.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    Options
    Could you not get a hire car and do a self-tour?

LA is very hard to get around without a car... the public transport is terrible.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    Problem being LA is 13 cities merged in to one.......you need to do a bit of research on exactly what you want
    We went in 2009 but did the usual theme parks, beaches, many studio tours and America's got talent TV show audience members
  • carcuscrae
    Options
    Thanks for the reply but I don't really want to drive, plus I wouldn't know what the best bits are. Normally i'd agree with you that it would be the best way but LA is just so vast :)
  • carcuscrae
    Options
    gardner1 wrote: »
    Problem being LA is 13 cities merged in to one.......you need to do a bit of research on exactly what you want
    We went in 2009 but did the usual theme parks, beaches, many studio tours and America's got talent TV show audience members

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what Studio Tours you did please? Is it possible to do a Universal Studios tour without doing the theme park?
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 6 December 2017 at 12:11PM
    Options
    carcuscrae wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what Studio Tours you did please? Is it possible to do a Universal Studios tour without doing the theme park?

The Universal Studio tour is an add-on to the theme park, so it's not possible; You have to pay for the whole lot.

We went on the Warner Brothers tour last year. We saw trinkets from Batman and Harry Potter as well as the sets from Big Bang Theory and the Ellen Show among others. It was around 2 hours long if I recall correctly.

https://www.wbstudiotour.com/
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do you actually want to see, in general terms? The beach? The view from Griffith Park Observatory? The museums? The concert venues? The business district? The biggest record store in the city (Amoeba, on Sunset)?
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Get a car. Drive to Death Valley. Yosemite. Grand Canyon even.

So much better than the horror that is LA!
  • carcuscrae
    Options
    Get a car. Drive to Death Valley. Yosemite. Grand Canyon even.

So much better than the horror that is LA!

Been there, done that...and it was amazing :)
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    What do you actually want to see, in general terms? The beach? The view from Griffith Park Observatory? The museums? ....

That's it really.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • carcuscrae
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    What do you actually want to see, in general terms? The beach? The view from Griffith Park Observatory? The museums? The concert venues? The business district? The biggest record store in the city (Amoeba, on Sunset)?

Basically we are there for 5 days so want to see as much as possible. Thought a tour would be the best way to see the highlights and then we can do anything else independently.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport