door latch hole needs enlarging.

afternoon,
i am exchanging the door handles in my new house, which required a new tubular latch however my existing hole pinches the latch. is this ok or should i enlarge it slightly to allow an easier fit? i have to push really hard to ease the latch in and i do not think that is the correct idea, i've read that any form of misalignment or pinching is likely to cause me more problems.
if so any ideas how i can do this, its only a bit that needs removing? sandpaper doesnt seem to be working, i cant think how a drill bit would work, i don't have a file / rasp. hmm

https://i.imgur.com/uJZvHpK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QWsfDur.jpg
- Chez

Comments

• You need a spade bit.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hammer & chisel. A spade bit will wander around all over the place.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Agree with post #3, too late for spade bit as there is no centre left to "start" the drilling and support the spade. Afraid it is a hammer and chisel jobby for you!
  • chezybezy
    chezybezy Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You need a spade bit.
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Hammer & chisel. A spade bit will wander around all over the place.
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Agree with post #3, too late for spade bit as there is no centre left to "start" the drilling and support the spade. Afraid it is a hammer and chisel jobby for you!

Thank you very much, the joys of a new home and someone else's work - aren't these holes supposed to be level and even and straight?
    - Chez
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 6:24PM
    chezybezy wrote: »
    afternoon,
    i am exchanging the door handles in my new house, which required a new tubular latch however my existing hole pinches the latch. is this ok or should i enlarge it slightly to allow an easier fit? i have to push really hard to ease the latch in and i do not think that is the correct idea, i've read that any form of misalignment or pinching is likely to cause me more problems.
    if so any ideas how i can do this, its only a bit that needs removing? sandpaper doesnt seem to be working, i cant think how a drill bit would work, i don't have a file / rasp. hmm

https://i.imgur.com/uJZvHpK.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/QWsfDur.jpg
    If the latch will fit into place with a hard push, then, unless a moving part of the latch is rubbing against the wood, I don't see why you would have problems. Most of the movement is internal and the wood will only touch at the four corners of the latch body. Only if the fit is so tight that it distorts the latch body would you have a problem. The wood is likely to give a little before the metal latch body, although some cheap latches are very flimsy.

If you have a sharp blade screwdriver of suitable size, a bit of gentle scraping might be enough to ease the fit and save you buying a file or a chisel. You don't need to remove very much material.

Alternatively, if you have an electric drill and a suitable wood drill bit, you should be able to use that to remove enough material from the 4 areas where the corners of the latch body go.

De-select any hammer action, start the drill on its lowest speed, slide the drill bit into empty space and then very gently move it so that it is scraping in the right area, using the sides of the drill bit and not the point to remove material. Apply a minimum of pressure.

Or use the point of the bit and very gently move it to and fro to remove a small amount of wood.

Be very careful and beware of kick backs etc from the drill. Very gentle pressure and very slow movement should prevent any sudden kick backs or jerks.

Wear eye protection.

Some may say that is a bodge job but, as it will be hidden, does that matter much?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know if you do a lot of DIY, but I find that a 13mm belt sander is wonderfully useful. It'll sort this job out in a minute.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/352202793412

s-l1600.jpg
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    55369.jpg

Or a drill bit like these
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ganga wrote: »
    55369.jpg

Or a drill bit like these

Those are not good for enlarging an existing hole.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Replacing the latches with ones that fit might be easier.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    A file or small rasp, or the electric type above, should do it. The complete hole does not need enlarging, it just needs the 4 points easing where new square shaped latch is binding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure