2017 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• Parsniphead, thank you, you too :D
    Kerry woman..we'll done coming in under budget! :T

I know what you mean about time flying..I can honestly say that the past two years have been a blur!! :o horrendous in many ways but incredible in others...a real mixed bag but it has meant a loss of focus on the small stuff that I used to fill my life with....I feel the need to get at least some of it back and I'm starting now.

Living frugally is part of that...I am in a fortunate position now financially where I have enough money not to worry about it - I'm by no means 'well off' but my lifestyle (normally!! :eek:) is pretty sedate and inexpensive so I don't need a lot. We earn enough to pay our bills, put a bit aside and have treats when we want them. As far as I'm concerned that's plenty :D however, because I now have additional disposable income I'm no longer thinking about spending it! :o
    I think part of me just needed a blow out - it really has been a tough couple of years but I want to start this season afresh...I have a tendency to equate frugality with coziness and autumn so the timing is perfect ;)
    Sorry about the essay...that turned into a bit of a confessional!! :o:rotfl:
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have noticed this and to be honest not sure how achievable it is. I had to go back through the links to clarify what was included. I notice water rates are not. Is there a reason for this? For those of us on a water meter, we can be frugal with our water usage. However, I can say I am complaining that it is not included. I am also puzzled that the amount has not been adjusted for inflation each year.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Frugaldom lives in Scotland, and that side of the border the water charges are included in the Council Tax.

We all set our own personal budgets, so £4k isn't mandatory. Mine normally runs at £10-12k for everything apart from rent/mortgage, and I live on my own so it's a lot higher than many are per person.
    Cheryl
  • Since June I have shaved £3k off my debts through frugal living.

I must read and post on this thread more.

From January we will be paying off debts and saving for a house deposit

Until then I'm shaving as much as possible off my debts.

I hope to join you all in 2018 for an even more frugal year. Until then I look forward to catching up on this year's thread
    June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    squirrelgirl - Thank you re the food budget. This is one area in which needs great improvement.

mumof3.12kindebt - Congratulations on paying off £3k off your debts in a short time.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Since June I have shaved £3k off my debts through frugal living.

I must read and post on this thread more.

From January we will be paying off debts and saving for a house deposit

Until then I'm shaving as much as possible off my debts.

I hope to join you all in 2018 for an even more frugal year. Until then I look forward to catching up on this year's thread

Thanks for the lovely post. I am also on track to have paid of a similar level of debt this year, including my overdraft which I have almost permanently been in since I got the account nearly 10 years ago!

I have been very frugal in that I am doing a No Spend Year, where I have banned the purchase of 'things' other than gifts for people, postage and packaging costs, social costs, travel costs and other things which I have deemed to be essential. I guess it would be more accurate to say it has been a Low Spend Year as I have had to buy things, but always at a highly discounted cost. This is why I have been able to pay off such a good level of debt.

I am going to keep this spirit going until my debt is cleared. My target date is my 30th birthday in March 2019. I may be able to make it but it will be a challenge.

For anyone looking for help with their food budgets then Eat Well For Less returns to BBC this week. I love this show.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • I also plan to do a no spend November and then again in January apart from bills and essentials.

Although when I add everything up our outgoings are quiet high so I need a plan to reduce them.
    June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Have managed to get the food/household budget under what I had put aside. £136.56/£150. Trying my best to use up what was already in.
    Achieved quite a few NSDs. Still in the temp job in the school. Put in my holiday hours that I have built up since I started temping at the school for last week as it was half term. Did go to the local theatre to see a play. It was not that great sadly. Some are better than others. Trying my best in not buying things for just in case it runs out. Have started my Christmas planning.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • I've managed to consolidate my credit card and car finance into one loan. So next year is now not so much about debt but saving a deposit. I have started a diary to help me on my journey. I plan to have a no spend year (apart from bills food and essentials) basically no spending on non essentials. I've already started over the last few months but I know we can do better. The aim is to have between 10-12.5k in savings by next December so frugal living for 2018 and this part of the forum will be an absolute must for me. i've done a rough budget and the 12k should be doable along with paying my catalogue off. If i can get some overtime at work. The 10k should be doable without overtime I think.
    I also have agreed that if we get to our 50% target by June then I will look at booking a camping weekend away aa a treat for staying on track. Again this will be frugal and as low spend as possible. My baby turned 8 months this month. My original goal was to buy a home by the time I turn 35. In ten years. Then I decided I would do it by the time im 30 but now i have a big ambition and a tough goal of doing it by the year youngest turns 3 so I effectively have given myself 2.5-3 years to get on that ladder.
    I dont mind living on as little money as possible to achieve our dream in the next 3 years. It's 3 years out of the rest of my life to achieve my dream and give my family a nicer bigger and more comfortable living space. We have 3 kids. Id love 3 bedrooms and space for a dining table so we can all sit together round the table at meal times again. Something we no longer have room for here. (small 2 bed flat) . I also plan to become minamilist as possible as part of our journey.
    The year will be full of fun free days out.
    Sticking to the budget.
    Learning what we can live without. But most importantly I hope it opens our eyes regarding consumerism and living better for less.
    If anyone has any tips to help me on my journey I'd be very greatful.
    I'm going to go back to cloth nappies for the baby. And Hope to successfully potty train middle son early in the new year (he's 4 this month but has gdd and has never shown signs of being ready before but is starting to show a few signs now) he also won't wear cloth nappies now. Basically anywhere I can save money without Harming ourselves our health or happiness is what the aim is. We have enough Dvds to keep us occupied on the cold days and nights and I have enough books to read 2 a month throughout the whole of next year.
    We will start the year learning what free things are in our area that we dont make the most of. And look forward to going geocashing (sp) with the kids again.
    Nothing ever stopping us just chucking on the Coats and wellies and going for a walk or bike ride. Foraging is also something I look forward to doing again next year.
    Our goals are only restricted to the ones we set ourselves
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    The year will be full of fun free days out.
    Sticking to the budget.
    Learning what we can live without. But most importantly I hope it opens our eyes regarding consumerism and living better for less.
    If anyone has any tips to help me on my journey I'd be very greatful...........
    We have enough Dvds to keep us occupied on the cold days and nights and I have enough books to read 2 a month throughout the whole of next year.

You don't say where you live but if near a large town the tourist office is a good place to start for free days out.

Library is good for all ages and many have audio books as well

Charity shops are good for resources such as books and puzzles.

If you are in a town etc maybe you can start up a 'swop shop' with other Mums and Dads for all kinds of stuff

We will start the year learning what free things are in our area that we dont make the most of. And look forward to going geocashing (sp) with the kids again.
    Nothing ever stopping us just chucking on the Coats and wellies and going for a walk or bike ride. Foraging is also something I look forward to doing again next year.
    Our goals are only restricted to the ones we set ourselves
    All the above are things I found very useful when I had sprogs and not many pennies.

I have recently seen a site called OLIO. It's for recycling unwanted food and you might like to have a look. Not much good for me because of where we live.

HTH and good luck with your project - hope it goes well for you
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories