Will I damage my credit score?

Options
philip1427
philip1427 Posts: 143 Forumite
edited 21 June 2017 at 12:19PM in Credit cards
As it stands I have a credit score of 961 which puts me in the excellent bracket.

I have only been using credit cards for two years now. I use them to gather rewards and cash back on my daily spending. I have always paid off my balances in full.

Next month I am planning to do a shake up of my credit cards that I keep in my wallet.

This is my plan:

Cancel Amex Gold Charge card as I have nearly had it for a year and don't want to pay the card fee,
Cancel Amex Gold Credit card as I spent the required amount to get the bonus points. Only had this card for three months but in order to qualify as a new Amex customer you can't have any point collecting cards for at least six months.
Keep my Nationwide Select card for its good cash back, fee free foreign purchases and wide acceptance as its a visa card.
Apply for Amex British Airways fee free card. I want to keep building my avios stash as I am working towards two flights to New York.

I have some concerns that doing this my harm my credit rating as I am cancelling a card that I have only had for three months and getting a new one. Any advice?

****UPDATE*****
I was successful in getting the BA fee free card. A friend referred me so I can get a higher welcome bonus when a hit the spending target.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your credit score is meaningless. Any changes you make in terms of opening or closing accounts will cause it to drop. Ignore it with a vengance.

Make sure you keep at least two or three cards as back ups and space any new applications out.

Assuming you're not carrying balances, consider you limits in relation to your income.
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also make sure you can transfer all existing Amex Membership rewards before closing both Amex cards.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    For someone who has only been using credit cards for two years you are not doing that badly. You have managed to get an Amex gold charge card and an Amex gold credit card (that as far as I can see doesn't even exist), so well done.
    You are concerned at damaging your credit score. Actually, in your place I would be more concerned about damaging my reputation with Amex. You have held the charge card for less than a year and intend to cancel it. You have held whatever sort of credit card it actually is for only three months and now you want to cancel it. In Amex place I wouldn't give you another card because no doubt you will just cancel it again.
  • RichL74
    RichL74 Posts: 938 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    You have managed to get an Amex gold charge card and an Amex gold credit card (that as far as I can see doesn't even exist), so well done.

Not this one then?

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/gold-card/?sourcecode=MULT000221&cpid=100122274&veid=sAinCyLgZ|dc_pcrid_196659752604_plid__kword_amex%20gold%20credit%20card_match_e
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's the Gold charge card.
  • RichL74
    RichL74 Posts: 938 Forumite
    Options
    So it is!!
  • Mr_Goodkat
    Mr_Goodkat Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    For someone who has only been using credit cards for two years you are not doing that badly. You have managed to get an Amex gold charge card and an Amex gold credit card (that as far as I can see doesn't even exist), so well done.
    You are concerned at damaging your credit score. Actually, in your place I would be more concerned about damaging my reputation with Amex. You have held the charge card for less than a year and intend to cancel it. You have held whatever sort of credit card it actually is for only three months and now you want to cancel it. In Amex place I wouldn't give you another card because no doubt you will just cancel it again.

It will be this 'Rewards Credit Card'
    https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/arcc-rewards/?AFFID=MONSPMRK&CRTV=Affiliates_MSE_ARCC_Rewards_Desktop_2016&sourcecode=X60403GB01&cpid=100240262

OP you would have been better taking out the Everyday Platinum Cashback Credit Card as this has a better introductory offer and provides cashback rather than points so can be kept as an ongoing card whilst taking advantage of new customer Amex offers on any of the cards that attract points
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    Options
    philip1427 wrote: »
    Only had this card for three months but in order to qualify as a new Amex customer you can't have any point collecting cards for at least six months.

If you are referring to a new customer introductory offer/bonus my understanding is that Amex removed the time limit and cardmembers can only get it once regardless of how long they have been or no longer been a cardmember.

Also information on how many cards can be held or how long after cancellation one can apply for a new card is sketchy. In one breath it's 4, in another breath it's 2 and in another breath it's 2 which must be a credit card and a charge card which is what I have. Best to check directly with Amex customer service before you take the plunge and cancel. Personally if possible I would be inclined to apply for the new Amex card before I cancel the other Amex cards.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    NatWest have a 14-day cooling-off period on loans. They also allow you close off a loan, and open another one, by borrowing : a different amount, and / or over a different period.
    However, if you do cancel the new loan, they won't promise to restart your old one.

Regardless of the numbers, I'd be very cautious about upsetting lenders who it seems have been very good to you.
    Perhaps instead of cancelling, you could say a few months before renewal, that you don't want a new card. That will save them the cost of making it, and if you haven't used it in the months beforehand, they'll understand. Either that, or suggest that as you haven't been using it, you aren't bothered either way, and let them choose.

Credit is like an airbag, you might hope you won't need it, but if you do, you'll really need it.

When I bought a new car which came with free breakdown cover, I cancelled the stand-alone cover I'd been using ; and explained this to the company, it just seemed polite.
    So, if you are going to cancel the Amex cards, at least write them an "It's not you, it's me", letter.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Applying for any type of new credit will effected your score. Even opening a new current account or mobile phone will.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure