Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Comments

• Hi i need help with the new templates for reclaiming.
    I was reclaiming over £4500 from the Halifax and went down the financial hardship route.Like everyone else with the Halifax they delayed and delayed and delayed so they could hear what the courts had to say first.
    I went to them under financial hardship which the girl i spoke to at Halifaxe(their management team that they put you in touch with )agreed they could do nothing for me and would go back to Halifax and tell them i was in financial hardship.
    They came back the week of the court case and offered me £105.00 through the financial ombudsman,which didn't even cover my charges that month.
    When the discission from the courts came i was advised to accept the £105.00 there and then and that this would not affect me carrying on with the claim when the new templates came through.after the court decision the Halifax dropped their charges straight away from £35.00 each charge to £15.00 each charge,they are now offering me to upgrade the account aswell something they didn't do before.
    My question is i want to enter my claim again as i want to carry on the fight but i don't know what i am supposed to enter it as..........can you please advise if i still go down the Hardship route of if i do something else.
    I am managing to stay above hardship now.......just as i have managed to catch up on the charges cycle myself with a lot of hard work and living on basically nothing.
  • Hi i need help with the new templates for reclaiming.
    I was reclaiming over £4500 from the Halifax and went down the financial hardship route.Like everyone else with the Halifax they delayed and delayed and delayed so they could hear what the courts had to say first.
    I went to them under financial hardship which the girl i spoke to at Halifaxe(their management team that they put you in touch with )agreed they could do nothing for me and would go back to Halifax and tell them i was in financial hardship.
    They came back the week of the court case and offered me £105.00 through the financial ombudsman,which didn't even cover my charges that month.
    When the discission from the courts came i was advised to accept the £105.00 there and then and that this would not affect me carrying on with the claim when the new templates came through.after the court decision the Halifax dropped their charges straight away from £35.00 each charge to £15.00 each charge,they are now offering me to upgrade the account aswell something they didn't do before.
    My question is i want to enter my claim again as i want to carry on the fight but i don't know what i am supposed to enter it as..........can you please advise if i still go down the Hardship route of if i do something else.
    I am managing to stay above hardship now.......just as i have managed to catch up on the charges cycle myself with a lot of hard work and living on basically nothing.
  • What is the date on the letter?

sorry yes it only states...''December 2009''

thanks
  • wonder if anyone can help - i am claiming about £1000 from the Halifax. They refused to pay and I started a court case, and then 3 weeks later the 'stay' came into affect - typical! Have been waiting for ages to find out what to do next, and had a letter last week from Halifax's solicitors basically giving me a copy of an Abbey National press release about bank charges (odd) and how the supreme court agreed that fairness of charges should not be linked to the amount these charges were for or how often you were charged them, and saying that i had to sign an attached claim form saying I would stop my claim against them. If I do that they say they won't claim for 'costs against me' - I assume by this they mean the fees they paid their solicitors to write me these legal letters. Can they legally charge me for these if I carried on with the court claim and then lost? Would I have to pay Halifax these so called legal fees?

Plus I wanted to add, the claim form they sent me to sign to say I wouldn't be carrying on my claim, is actually someone ELSES form! With some other womans name on it and a different claim number. Someone didn't staple these "standard letters" together very well did they?
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    edited 15 February 2010 at 10:12AM
    A number of people from HBOS are getting these types of letter threatening costs now http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21757
    Can they legally charge me for these if I carried on with the court claim and then lost? Would I have to pay Halifax these so called legal fees?
    Yes they can even in small claims if the court agrees with them that you have acted unreasonably/vexatiously.

If you arent happy to go through with the claim taking into account the risks (and my feeling is these costs would be limited but may still reach £1000 ) if you lost.

Working on responses for these letters which seem to have all gone out in batches in the last few days.

7QT23325 ( would that be the claim number showing on the notice of discontinuance they have sent you ? )
    LegalBeagles
  • hi there, im with santander and i was woundering can you still reply and still have chance of reclaiming after the 8 week period, because in my last letter it stated at the bottom...
    ''if we do not hear from you within 8 weeks we will consider your complaint closed''

and its been 10 weeks now since..?

hope you can help[hi there

if! they have closed it ask them to reopen the case, you still feel this is not settled, write to them, and photo copy the letter, track the letter, at the postoffice, don't worry about the time up, but do ask them in this letter for their final response, so you can take it to the fos, and ask them to be postive and not negitive, in their response, tell them all about your curcumstances, again, if you have to but don't give up.you can go to the fos after they have given their final response so all is not lost yet! good luck, please psot updates
    sharon666
  • no thats not the number but it does begin with a 7 - like I said the form they attached for me to sign for discontinuance isn't even my claim form it has someone elses name on it! So i'd have to call them to get them to send me out another letter anyway! Theres no date on it, no 8 week deadline.

Like you said, although I am self employed and don't earn all that much, I don't think I could get away with claiming hardship since I still live with the 'rents and don't have a mortgage or anything - so perhaps the best thing for me to do is just let this one go?

Before the stay came in I did get about £1000 from Lloyds TSB and about £750 from Capital One (and since credit cards aren't included in this new ruling I could technically try and reclaim the other charges Capital One have charged me over the last 2-3 years). I don't think, because I'm not in hardship, that I have much of a case, and having already spent about £150 submitting this claim to the courts I'd probably rather not chance having a legal bill of hundreds more to pay if I lost!!
  • where are the new templates????
    I saw the article but don't know where the template letter is?
  • Does anybody know which Natwest address i should send my hardship letter? thanks
  • thank you sharon666, il take your advice and keep you posted
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure