Data allowance in Cyprus using ee

Options
My EE allowance is 5gb data per month. My understanding is that when in Cyprus in southern part, the data is reduced, is this so? And what allowance will I get. I've a feeling it is 3gb

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cyprus is in the EU. Therefore you will be able to use whatever your plan allows you to use in the UK for no extra charge. This assumes that you are only visiting the island.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    Cyprus is in the EU. Therefore you will be able to use whatever your plan allows you to use in the UK for no extra charge. This assumes that you are only visiting the island.

Yes, and that was my understanding but when we visited at Xmas for a month, I kept it on data all the time. About the third week a warning came up telling me u was getting close to limit. So turned it off in favour of WiFi. Back home I questioned it in EE shop, a guy a as I'd you can't expect to have all five gb out there. I m sure he was wrong. My allowance is five gb and month end is 10th I think. The "my EE" app shows I have slightly over five gb, so it would appear it rolls over. Yes I am on holiday three wks this time in akrotiri.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only thing to be wary of in Cyprus is going too close to the divide with roaming turned on. Data costs when connected to a Northern Cypriot network are eye watering.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    Cyprus is in the EU.
    Rep of Cyprus (Southern) is part of the EU and you can use your full allowances there, as in UK.

Northern Cyprus is outside the EU and EE charge stiff roaming fees there. If you want to use your phone near the border area, to avoid accidentally connecting to a Northern Cyprus network you can switch to manual network selection and choose a network in Southern Cyprus. It will probably revert to automatic when you next switch on.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • its_all_over
    its_all_over Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    islandman wrote: »
    My EE allowance is 5gb data per month. My understanding is that when in Cyprus in southern part, the data is reduced, is this so? And what allowance will I get. I've a feeling it is 3gb

Here is what it says on the EE webpage. As your data allowance is smaller that 15GB you get to use your whole allowance.
    Is there a limit to how much data I can use in the EU?

If your domestic data allowance is greater than 15GB, you will be subject to a fair usage policy of 15GB whilst you are roaming in our Europe Zone: this means you can use a maximum of 15GB from your data allowance while roaming.

When the fair usage policy applies to you, once you have used up 15GB when roaming, we will notify you and surcharges will apply if you want to keep using data when roaming.

Read our Fair Use Policy (.pdf 226KB) >

The link to the .pdf page is https://ee.co.uk/content/dam/everything-everywhere/documents/roaming-for-paym-customers-20180202.pdf

The link to the page where I found this is https://shop.ee.co.uk/international/travelling-abroad
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Here is what it says on the EE webpage. As your data allowance is smaller that 15GB you get to use your whole allowance.

The link to the .pdf page is https://ee.co.uk/content/dam/everything-everywhere/documents/roaming-for-paym-customers-20180202.pdf

The link to the page where I found this is https://shop.ee.co.uk/international/travelling-abroad
    wish

Thank you very much for that. I appreciate I should have done more homework before leaving. If this isn't enough, in the excessive heat, mid 90's,my medical supplies are causing a few problems and I have two more weeks left. Knowing my data appears to be safe and only using it when WiFi isn't available is a bit of a relief.

I see you are new to thiss forum, well done
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport