Cheapest Petrol & Diesel Discussion Area

Comments

• It's difficult to drive slow here in Kent. There are too many hotheaded drivers who tailgate and honk their horn to push other folks down the road, it's really annoying for those of us who really want to conserve our fuel and drive slow.

Did you ever consider that some people need to get where they are going and that your selfish attitude is the sort that causes accidents?
    If you want/need to drive slowly to conserve fuel do you ever consider pulling over to let other people past?
    I'm not condoning speeding in any way but nothing frustrates me more than somebody doing 40 mph on a clear road with a 60 mph limit, especially when they create a convoy of like minded drivers who bunch together too closely to let anybody overtake.
    37 years of driving experience has also shown me that the kind of person who drives at 40 in a 60 mph zone also typically drives at 40 mph in a 30 mph zone.
    Adapt your speed top the road conditions and if you can't afford the fuel buy a more economical car or get a push bike:mad:
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    perusal wrote: »
    Did you ever consider that some people need to get where they are going and that your selfish attitude is the sort that causes accidents?
    If you want/need to drive slowly to conserve fuel do you ever consider pulling over to let other people past?
    I'm not condoning speeding in any way but nothing frustrates me more than somebody doing 40 mph on a clear road with a 60 mph limit, especially when they create a convoy of like minded drivers who bunch together too closely to let anybody overtake.
    37 years of driving experience has also shown me that the kind of person who drives at 40 in a 60 mph zone also typically drives at 40 mph in a 30 mph zone.
    Adapt your speed top the road conditions and if you can't afford the fuel buy a more economical car or get a push bike:mad:

Where did the guy EVER say he did 40mph in a 60?? Or that he sat in the outside lane and didnt let people past?

I drive with economy in mind and i find the best economy to be gotten in my car at around 60mph on the motorway, and 50mph in a 60. And 30mph in a 30.

Dont forget speed limits are a maximum, not a target. ;)
  • qrachma
    qrachma Posts: 7 Forumite
    I'm surprised at the advice given in the news letter. Urban myths abound.
    I read a report of tests done on a test track (blowed if I can find it again).
    Tyre pressure makes almost no difference to fuel economy unless they are nearly flat.
    The weight of your car only makes a difference when you are accelerating or going up hill.
    Why do we need air con in the UK anyway?
    If you find a cheap fuel station, fill up. It might not be cheap tomorrow. Weight? See above.
    Acceleration? Agreed. Make it steady.
    Highest gear possible? No, that does not stop the engine labouring. Select the correct gear to make life easy for it. Thats why we have gears.
    The biggest killers of fuel economy are wind resistance, hard acceleration and hard braking. See this article: www dot aerocivic dot com.
    Speed: driving 100 miles at 70 takes 1hour 25.8 minutes whilst 100 miles at 55 takes 1hour 49.2 minutes, a difference of 23.4 minutes or 16.4% longer. Considering that fuel usage at 70 can be 33% greater than 55, consider, is it worth it?
  • perusal
    perusal Posts: 3 Newbie
    pgilc1 wrote: »

I drive with economy in mind and i find the best economy to be gotten in my car at around 60mph on the motorway, and 50mph in a 60. And 30mph in a 30.

On a motorway driving at 60 is fine because people can get past safely - provided you use the lanes appropriately and don't just hog the middle lane.

50 in a 60 is not too bad either and 30 in a 30 is 100% OK with me.

My point however is that one can drive slowly if they choose provided they give due consideration to other users and allow them to overtake if they wish to do so. The fact that our person from Kent suggests they are being tailgated implies that they are not doing this on multi-lane roads. I have been driving for 37 years now, have never had a speeding ticket and only 1 conviction (as a teenager - which was a very long time ago :) ) but I have seen to many cases where long queues of traffic build up because of the selfish behaviours of slow drivers who hold traffic up for their own personal needs causing nothing but frustration behind them.

I have also overtaken more cars than I care to remember over the years where having got well past them, they then catch me up when I have reduced to 30 mph in a village/town but these clowns just drive at one speed and not appropriate to either the road conditions or speed limits
  • ogri550
    ogri550 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 May 2010 at 4:15AM
    I'm consistently getting over 60 mpg out of my car which is driven at least 21 miles each way to work through Newcastle every day.

I have a computer which I have set to give instantaneous mpg readouts & use it to maximise my use of the accelerater.

A few thoughts:

Original fit sport tyres cost £150 each & caused a drop in mpg of approx 5 & only lasted 8,000 miles! Changing to £75 tyres that are original fit on Kias got the mpg back up straight away & they are wearing well.

Its really important to check your mpg every fillup & investigate if it drops - mine dropped 6 mpg over 2 tankfuls & needed a £20 tune up to get it back to normal.

Weight does matter - perhaps not in the short term but over a year it will make a difference - I have to climb a mile long steep hill every day so I have taken out 2 of my removeable rear seats - they are very heavy & I rarely even carry 2 people never mind 3! Also the bikes go in the back with the front wheels off, never on the roofrack!

Change your route: I cut out the last 300 yards at work where I would go through traffic lights & double back on myself. Extra walk about 30 yards. Saves diesel & tyres. At home in my village I park at the entrance to the village and walk 50 yards through a cut to home. This saves 0.4 miles each way - not a lot, but it is a steep uphill twisty road into our estate. So, a bit of planned parking saves about over mile a day, and its the most expensive mile as far as fuel & tyres are concerned.

Coasting downhill - 2 things to consider - if you can maintain a reasonable speed in top gear then this is the most efficient because the overrun fuel cutoff works. However, there are some long downhill inclines where if you lifted your foot off you would decelerate, but coasting would maintain your speed - this is when to coast - the engine still needs fuel to tickover but if you are travelling at 60 then it is negligible for the distance travelled.

If you have a computer with instantaneous readout use it to hone your right foot - its amazing what difference a slight bit of pressure makes.

Rethink your route - the shortest is not always the most fuel efficient. On regular runs take note of things that affect your fuel consumption like queues, traffic lights, ability to cruise, bad bends etc & try to plan a route that would be more efficient.

Journey times - the difference between hammering it to work and driving efficiently over 21 miles is 1 minute and a lot less stress! What does make adifference of up to 20 minutes is the actual time I travel, so I've rearranged my life to start later & finish later, saving up to 40 minutes a day commuting.

Finally, for those of you who say I could move closer to work: well I used to live a mere 6 easy miles away but unfortunately the woman I met & fell in love with lives 21 miles away......sometimes fuel saving has to take a back seat!
  • XH558
    XH558 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Don't coast.
    If you are driving a modern car, by coming off the gas pedal you will cut the fuel supply to the engine. This will save you money as you are not using fuel to maintain idle speed.
    Good acceleration sense will enable you to use just enough fuel to achieve you goal.

Don't carry more in the car than you need to either.
    Some say don't fill up, just put half a tank full in as there is extra weight to lug around.

Windows open below 40mph and A/c above this using the recycle function until the air needs to be changed then refresh the air. This keeps the load off the A/c unit.

Put premium tyres on as their construction and compounds reduce rolling resistance.
    NEVER over inflate a tyre. Always use the vehicle manufacturers recommended pressures.
    You might want to consider replacing the spare with an inflater kit. Many modern cars don't have spare tyres any more to save weight.

Places like Costco inflate tyres with nitrogen. The molecules in nitrogen are larger than rubber molecules so there is no pressure loss. Molecules of air are smaller than rubber molecules so that's why they lose pressure over time.
  • kento wrote: »

In response to other posters yesterday how many women know what their tyre pressures should be let alone check them?

I would like to point out that there are plenty of guys out there who know zero about cars. Here's an example. My car wouldn't start one day outside my house. 3 guys opposite were watching me and one offered the suggestion, "It's your starter motor, love." As a mere girl, I did not point out that my car (a Vectra) has a known issue with the idle control valve gumming up with carbon deposits and as such can cause problems with starting, poor idling etc. so it's the No.1 culprit if anything is up. Are you still with me? Now guys out there who make offensive comments about women drivers, how many of you can point out the idle control valve on a Vectra 16v engine? And the Haynes manual isn't any good to you because it doesn't include the many engine variants.

And yes, I know what my tyre pressures are and where to put the oil in. And I service the car myself - bet you pay a main stealer to do oil changes etc. for you.

And I thought attitudes like that had been left behind in the 1970s
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Still true though.
    Women are very good at delegating that sort of "messy" job to the man in their lives.
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    112p per litre, at Tesco's, Hull, with 5p off coupon.......over 10 pence a litre cheaper than out in the sticks.
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • Our local Morrisons supermarket sells biodiesel a lot cheaper than ordinary diesel but I can't find out if it's OK in my 2003 Peugeot 406 HDi - does anyone know - even my Peugeot dealer doesn't know the answer!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure