Road tax for disabled?

Hi,

my relative is gettin DLA higher rate. Is he exempt from paying road tax? If so how what are the conditions and how does he apply?

Also is it eligible for 1 car only? Or can he have disabled road tax on 2 cars as he has 2 cars?

Thanks,

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Here's the rules -
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-exempt-from-car-tax

You don’t have to pay vehicle tax on following types of vehicle.
    Vehicles used by a disabled person
    You must be getting one of the following:
    the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    War Pensioners Mobility Supplement

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs.

It can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.
  • Ziggazee
    Ziggazee Posts: 464 Forumite
    And the free road tax is valid for one vehicle only
  • bery_451 wrote: »
    Is it eligible for 1 car only? Or can he have disabled road tax on 2 cars as he has 2 cars? Thanks,

- of course not, VED the vehicle excise duty disability exemption
    - is a huge benefit to the costs of being disabled, but can he drive both cars at the same time ?
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,807 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    - of course not, VED the vehicle excise duty disability exemption
    - is a huge benefit to the costs of being disabled, but can he drive both cars at the same time ?

lol if he could drive 2 cars at the same time then that would be magic.

Seriously he cant drive as he has a disability. I drive for him as a nominee driver.

Where does this stand regarding road tax?
  • Ziggazee
    Ziggazee Posts: 464 Forumite
    You are perfectly able to drive as nominated driver :-)
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    But again, even you can only drive one car at a time :)
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • bery_451 wrote: »
    lol if he could drive 2 cars at the same time then that would be magic.

Seriously he cant drive as he has a disability. I drive for him as a nominee driver.

Where does this stand regarding road tax?

- that's correct, anyone insured and legal can drive your dad
    - but he can only be in one car at a time, so only one tax disk is needed
    - that taxed car can only be used for the disabled person's personal needs
    - it can not be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use

Otherwise a sneaky parent could get ten tax disks, keep one himself, give eight away to his friends in the club and give the last one to his son for helping out as a nominated driver. That would never do would it ? I mean the purpose of the help offered is to help the more than three million disabled people with their mobility needs. Clearly neither his friends in the club or the son has any mobility needs otherwise they would have a VED exemption certificate and log book in their own right - wouldn't they ?
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • do you have to apply for the form from DLA every year or is it the first year you apply and then the tax disc form automatically gets sent out from DLa?

- all automated now, all internet, they check your DLAHRM status on the net
    - so after the first application is made it subsequently it checks your test & insurance and DLA on the net and sends a disk to your home
    - you can still do it the hard [non internet] way if you choose
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 March 2013 at 2:46AM
    Thank you for your reply, do you think i should have received it by now, tax is due on 31st March?

What ? and Yes !

- if you mean a reminder from the DVLA that your tax disk is about to run out, yes you should have received a V11 form

The old DLA404 / WPA0442 and MHS330 paper certificates are no longer used, you need to apply for a new certificate from the Disability Benefits Unit on 0845 712 3456. You will need to enter this new certificate number into the internet to get your new tax disk. If you still have an old DLA404 certificate that is still 'in date' you can continue to use the certificate DLA404 at the Post Office.

Best of luck Andy.
  • What ? and Yes !

- if you mean a reminder from the DVLA that your tax disk is about to run out, yes you should have received a V11 form

The old DLA404 / WPA0442 and MHS330 paper certificates are no longer used, you need to apply for a new certificate from the Disability Benefits Unit on 0845 712 3456. You will need to enter this new certificate number into the internet to get your new tax disk. If you still have an old DLA404 certificate that is still 'in date' you can continue to use the certificate DLA404 at the Post Office.

Best of luck Andy.

Funny thing is that I posted about this DLA404 on the other forum and got told that I had been told wrong - apparently I was told right according to what you are now saying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure