verbal abuse while parking in BB zone

Comments

• dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've had it 3 times now, once by an elderly woman who was upset I had taken the last space on a council run car park and demanded that I let her have the space as she is far older than me and therefore more disabled. I politely told her all car parks were first come first served.

The second and third time was as I was returning to my car. Second time I was parked again in a council owned car park, I put the bags the kids and I were carrying into the car boot then opened the door to the car, let the kids in and then got in myself. Realised I had left something in a bag that I wanted (a CD if I remember right and I wanted to play it whilst driving home) so I got out of the car and walked to the boot, but I did so without using my stick as I can manage a couple of steps without it. Some gobshoite shouted out that I was a faker as I wasn't using my stick and that he had taken my reg number and was going to report me and demanded to see my blue badge.

3rd I parked outside work (before I got my parking pass to park below the building) in an on-street parking bay. Again it was the last one. As I got out of the car some idiot was effing and jeffing at me about not having anywhere to park, and how I didn't look 'that disabled', and how now thanks to me he was going to be late signing on.

Both the pillocks got the same answer, 'if you have a problem report me to the council'.

At the end of the day I can prove I am using the badge correctly, I have nothing to worry about.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • saidan
    saidan Posts: 308 Forumite
    thank you for all the replies

in future i think i will just do the same - but not dwell on it or let it upset me :)
    Proud mum :T

• a friend of mine who is disabled was asked by another disabled driver what was his disability,( wanted the parking space badge was displayed) my friend calmly asked the other driver what was his disabilility, suprise suprise the other driver said its non of your business.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Could be worse - they were talking about this on the BBC today and said their have been loads of instances of people being yelled at, spat at, and even a few people being dragged out of their wheelchairs because people didn't believe they needed them.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,646
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Life is just one big competition and struggle for survival...sigh..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yea I have had funny looks when I have parked displayed badge then disabled daughter comes out on her crutches

They must think having a disability must only apply if you are over 60, I am sure many young disabled would much rather they weren't disabled
    moose1982 wrote: »
    Don't forget that only police officers and traffic wardens can ask to inspect Blue Badges fully. I normally get abuse because I'm younger than 30, apparently the disabled bays are reserved for old people only.
  • As it seems a few people have had a few run in's with abusive people, I wonder who could be stirring up all this hatred towards disabled people? :think:
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    savemoney wrote: »
    Yea I have had funny looks when I have parked displayed badge then disabled daughter comes out on her crutches

They must think having a disability must only apply if you are over 60, I am sure many young disabled would much rather they weren't disabled

Without wishing to justify either rudeness or abuse, it's worth pointing out that many things that are now considered disabilities would not have been thought so in the past, which is obviously going to affect the way that some older people view the situation.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    moose1982 wrote: »
    As it seems a few people have had a few run in's with abusive people, I wonder who could be stirring up all this hatred towards disabled people? :think:

Zombie nazis?

The daleks?
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Just tell him to thingy off - the cheek of some people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure