**Denied use of DISABLED toilet in jobcentre

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 31 October 2009 at 12:01PM
    Ruby_Moon wrote: »
    I put across the view from the other side and also pointed out that the manager had not actually done anything illegal. Rude, yes, illegal, no.
    It's a difficult situation that is not easy to deal with without upsetting someone along the line.

You've repeated that piece of fiction AGAIN even though plenty of us who actually know the law have clearly stated on this thread yesterday that the action WAS illegal under the DDA. Please forget about this thread if you cannot grasp the effects of the DDA and cannot give correct advice and be helpful to the OP.

I have worked with disabled people for several years and have been properly DDA trained, including those aspects of the law which relate to this post and make the actions so obviously illegal that it's shocking that it ever happened. What's your side on this then, do you run a business and would find this 'inconvenient'?

Ruby_Moon wrote: »
    So they have a constant stream of people using the loo? Any business? Not just the job centre but anywhere? This will never happen because people do abuse it.

It has already happened, the law is in place (but you'll be 'relieved' to hear that most businesses would not be expected to provide any toilet facilities). But IF it would be a reasonable adjustment for a business to provide such a facility then they DO have to allow people to use it who claim to be disabled under the DDA definition. People do not have to wear 'signs on their heads' that was the point I made earlier about not having to be 'labelled'.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Not in any way suggesting anything untoward (and I think the Manager should be demoted for being so rude), but a lot of disabled people have to take some strong painkilling medications, which can have sideeffects of pin !!!!! pupils in the same way a user of illegal substances does.

The security guard may have the skills to differentiate between the two, (recognising you, for example, or just from being in day to day contact with users and non users alike) but the Manager could have been in trouble recently as a result of a user finding his or her way into the toilets.

Not that it excuses him from the requirements of the DDA, but sometimes it is worth bearing these things in mind. Even so, he had no need to be so unprofessional about it.

Hope you get a satisfactory reply.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • I just wanted to point out to the OP that you can get radar keys from your local council. I know of someone who went into the council offices where I live and got one no questions asked. I think you have to pay up to £4 for it but it could be really useful if you're out and about!
  • jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Yeah, we used to sell radar keys at the tourist information office we worked at, and we didn't require proof or anything. They were £2.50 about two years ago.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • Ruby_Moon wrote: »
    What do you mean I didn't read the OP properly?
    I replied to the OP that the manager may have had enough of people asking to use the toilets and because we don't all walk around with signs on our heads, it is very difficult for other people to see invisible illnesses.
    I come across it all the time with people.
    How can anyone tell who is and who isn't disabled just by looking at them?
    I really don't understand why you refer to my post as gob!!!!! when I was saying the same as several others have said on here.

You are constantly contradicting yourself, maybe you should go back and re-read what you write....
    You are correct, You cant tell by who is disabled just by looking at them!! therefor when someone takes the time to explain exactly what they have, then you shouldnt claim they are not disabled enough.

For instance, people with continence problems are not likely to show any exterior signs of disability if thats the only problem they have - but this can be a huge problem and ofcourse warrants the need for the toilet.

Yes, some people will try it on to use the toilets - but then the toilet its practically just a door, no signs and we only know its there because we asked for a disabled toilet previously, therefor it is unlikely to be abused to a massive extent, and even if it was - it happens everyday where people abuse facilities for disabled people.

I dont think you understand whats its like to have a disability and to struggle everyday to live life like everyone else, or in my partners case - like you used to.
    Yes im disabled....yes I can do things you cant....but you can do things I cant so were equal! :D
  • Not in any way suggesting anything untoward (and I think the Manager should be demoted for being so rude), but a lot of disabled people have to take some strong painkilling medications, which can have sideeffects of pin !!!!! pupils in the same way a user of illegal substances does.

The security guard may have the skills to differentiate between the two, (recognising you, for example, or just from being in day to day contact with users and non users alike) but the Manager could have been in trouble recently as a result of a user finding his or her way into the toilets.

Not that it excuses him from the requirements of the DDA, but sometimes it is worth bearing these things in mind. Even so, he had no need to be so unprofessional about it.

Hope you get a satisfactory reply.

I totally understand this, as my partner takes very strong painkillers and during the day stimulants, and relaxants during the end of the day. Sometimes he looks like he has been taking illegal drugs, he chatters alot soon after taking his stimulants etc, and you can see the look on peoples faces. He is trained to notice these traits in customers who used to attend clubs that he worked for before he had to give up working, so its hard for him to be branded in this way.

Even he did courses for disability awareness, access issues etc - thats just how we met! I was attending a big club night and he was assigned to help me through the crowd - he never thought he would be on the side requiring assistance.
    Yes im disabled....yes I can do things you cant....but you can do things I cant so were equal! :D
  • Invasion
    Invasion Posts: 586 Forumite
    I too take painkillers that make my eyes glaze over, and I look like I'm on drugs, not helped by the fact I'm 17 either :p I use a wheelchair when out so don't have problems using disabled toilets, but the looks you get sometimes when chattering away non-stop and with eyes lookin pretty odd!
  • ShaShaSha
    ShaShaSha Posts: 185 Forumite
    Invasion wrote: »
    I too take painkillers that make my eyes glaze over, and I look like I'm on drugs, not helped by the fact I'm 17 either :p I use a wheelchair when out so don't have problems using disabled toilets, but the looks you get sometimes when chattering away non-stop and with eyes lookin pretty odd!

The world is just a big playground for judging! I reguarly get glared at when I pull into a disabled space in my nice big new mazda 6, im 23 and cant possibly be disabled...Its taught me that everyone could have hidden issues, such as heart conditions that makes it hard or dangerous to walk far - I just wish everyone could learn this...
  • You know how some public toilets have radar keys? Well I bought one of ebay ages ago. its really handy! Some places here in scotland ive found that the disabled toilet is far cleaner than the normal gents. Im not disabled by the way. Well worth it. I bought one for my grandparents aswell for when they are out in trips in the car.
    When dealing with the CSA its important to note that it is commonly accepted as unfit for purpose, and by default this also means the staff are unfit for purpose.
  • jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2009 at 12:44PM
    You know how some public toilets have radar keys? Well I bought one of ebay ages ago. its really handy! Some places here in scotland ive found that the disabled toilet is far cleaner than the normal gents. Im not disabled by the way. Well worth it. I bought one for my grandparents aswell for when they are out in trips in the car.

Yes, that's the intended use of them. Letting able-bodied people have access to clean toilets. :confused:

I can't believe you posted that in a post where someone is upset that a genuinely disabled person wasn't allowed to use the toilets.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure