Not sure if I have a CCJ?

So last year I stupidly forgot to pay a train fine. After several months I was sent a court summons but because I had moved house I knew nothing about it and missed the court date. I then received a Further Steps Notice sent to my correct address for both the train original fine amount and court fines on top.

Initially I intended to file a Statutory Delcaration but despite multiple calls and emails could never get in touch with the court. As I had had to set up a payment plan to stop anything from the Further Steps Notice taking place I ended up just paying off the amount. It was my own stupidity that got me summons in the first place anyway.

My question is - was what I received a CCJ? I have never seen the original summons nor any other correspondence from my creditors nor the court except the Further Steps Notice. I am applying for a job where you must declare on the application if you've summonsed at any point (which I have done) and it also asks to declare any CCJs. I've checked clearscore and it states I have no CCJs but when googling about summons for this type of situation all the information is on CCJs. I tried calling the collections team to but their office is closed due to the bank holiday. The court in question was a magistrates court if that makes a difference.

At the information evening for this job the representative for the recruitment team said any CCJs would most likely rule you out so I'm really hoping that's not what I have. But also I don't want them to think I've tried to lie on my application. Can anyone who understands the courts system better than me tell from this info if I have a CCJ or not?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Magistrates is criminal matters so you wouldn't get a CCJ.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • HST
    HST Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    But if magistrates is criminal why was an unpaid fine, which to my knowledge is a civil issue heard there then?
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Civil debt it is. More here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-independent-appeals-process-to-protect-passengers-issued-with-penalty-fares

But if you failed to appeal, there does not appear to be any further steps. Was there a reason you did not pay or appeal?
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • HST
    HST Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I appealed the original fine and my appeal was rejected. I then forgot about the fine because I'm an idiot.

As stated in my original post I have paid the fine and the court fine I also got for not attending court. I initially attempted to file a Statutory Declaration which requires contacting the court itself (the collections team are separate) but couldn't. If I rang no one answered even after 45 minutes (and I wasn't on hold either - just got ringing on their end). And all my emails were ignored. Also if you don't set up a payment plan, even if you are attempting to dispute or appeal the fine, further steps (such as bailiffs seizing belongings or the money being taken from your wages) will be taken.

As far as I can tell from google it being a magistrates court and not a county court means it's not a CCJ - anyone know if that's correct?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 April 2019 at 12:39PM
    HST wrote: »
    I appealed the original fine and my appeal was rejected. I then forgot about the fine because I'm an idiot.

As stated in my original post I have paid the fine and the court fine I also got for not attending court. I initially attempted to file a Statutory Declaration which requires contacting the court itself (the collections team are separate) but couldn't. If I rang no one answered even after 45 minutes (and I wasn't on hold either - just got ringing on their end). And all my emails were ignored. Also if you don't set up a payment plan, even if you are attempting to dispute or appeal the fine, further steps (such as bailiffs seizing belongings or the money being taken from your wages) will be taken.

As far as I can tell from google it being a magistrates court and not a county court means it's not a CCJ - anyone know if that's correct?

The clue is in the name “County Court Judgement” - only made at county court level.

“Magistrates Court Fine” - only made at a magistrates court.

Are you getting the drift ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite

Where & when did you appeal this? :huh:
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2019 at 2:05PM

AFAIK it is a civil debt, but the remedy for failing to pay it is a visit to the Mags. Someone may correct me, but don't believe it is anything more than having to pay the fine(s). The civil debt is a form of "bribe" to avoid being taken there.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/43/part/II/crossheading/civil-debt

Also understand the money is not paid to the Train Operator but is kept by the court. The idea is that if the civil debt when compared to a visit to the Mags is small enough, people will (or should) pay the debt rather than bunging up the Mags with what is essentially petty theft in the Train Operator's eyes.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier

That's all correct - it's a magistrates court fine, not a ccj.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure