item drastically reduced in price shortly after purchase

Options
13»

Comments

• johnson293
    johnson293 Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    We've just had a similar thing happen to us, with Goldsmiths.

We bought 2 wedding rings, one for me and one for her - mine had to be made/sized, but her size was in stock. We paid for both rings, and took hers home.

This week, we got the call that my ring was ready and to go and try it & collect it. On visiting the store, they now have an up to 50% sale on... sods law, the ring we bought for her is 50% off, down from £600 to £300.

After getting my ring, we (cheekily) asked the assistant if there was any refund of the difference available, otherwise we'd consider returning it and ordering it again online (they had sold out of it instore).

She was fine about it and said just to return the ring with receipt to store, and they would simply process a return/refund, and we'd simply buy the same ring back at the lower price.

We were surprised they were so open to doing that, and after checking the receipt, it stated refunds within 14 days only (exchanges within 30 days), and we were slightly over the 14 days, but they sorted a refund of the difference (£300) without issue.

So, big thumbs up for Goldsmiths ,and we now have £300 more to spend towards wedding stuff. :beer:
  • reason2
    reason2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    I look forward to the OP buying something and seeing it 48 hours later for 40% more and offering the company the difference between what they paid and what the new price is..
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    reason2 wrote: »
    I look forward to the OP buying something and seeing it 48 hours later for 40% more and offering the company the difference between what they paid and what the new price is..

You do know what the name of this website is don't you?
    They had every right to enquire about getting a refund of the difference (just as the retailer had the right to refuse the request) and for £300, I don't blame them in the least.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    johnson293 wrote: »
    We've just had a similar thing happen to us, with Goldsmiths.

We bought 2 wedding rings, one for me and one for her - mine had to be made/sized, but her size was in stock. We paid for both rings, and took hers home.

This week, we got the call that my ring was ready and to go and try it & collect it. On visiting the store, they now have an up to 50% sale on... sods law, the ring we bought for her is 50% off, down from £600 to £300.

After getting my ring, we (cheekily) asked the assistant if there was any refund of the difference available, otherwise we'd consider returning it and ordering it again online (they had sold out of it instore).

She was fine about it and said just to return the ring with receipt to store, and they would simply process a return/refund, and we'd simply buy the same ring back at the lower price.

We were surprised they were so open to doing that, and after checking the receipt, it stated refunds within 14 days only (exchanges within 30 days), and we were slightly over the 14 days, but they sorted a refund of the difference (£300) without issue.

So, big thumbs up for Goldsmiths ,and we now have £300 more to spend towards wedding stuff. :beer:

Why drag up an old thread ?
  • springchicken
    springchicken Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 November 2018 at 12:19PM
    Options
    In a similar situation ordered 3 Ancestry DNA tests for Christmas presents 10 days ago, £79 each. On offer atm for £49. Rang up customer service and was refunded the difference with no problem whatsoever. Just thought this would be helpful for people procrastinating in similar situations. Always worth a try. :beer:
    Moneysaving? - I cant stop spending because of this site!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Pound sign not working btw.

Left-ALT 0 1 6 3 (on the number pad) gives you £ :)

(I know this because my laptop has a US keyboard so I need to do that to get a £ sign).
  • Samantha57
    Options
    SouthUKMan wrote: »
    Am I missing something? A consumer buys an item because they like it and believe it to be a fair price. They're happy with their purchasing decision.

Then the retailer decides to reduce the price and all of a sudden the consumer is unhappy and talking about their rights and writing to the retailer to complain.

We all like a bargain - but we also have to be reasonable.

Are you having difficulty reading or are you just arrogant and rude? I reckon the later may be more accurate. The original poster DID NOT once say anything about their rights. They chanced their luck and it paid of. The site is money saving expert, they saved money. Honestly people like you are infuriating.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Interesting first post - can we expect more of the same or will you actually contribute? :)
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,644 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Samantha57 wrote: »
    Are you having difficulty reading or are you just arrogant and rude? I reckon the later may be more accurate. The original poster DID NOT once say anything about their rights. They chanced their luck and it paid of. The site is money saving expert, they saved money. Honestly people like you are infuriating.

The post to which you have replied is 13 months old and the poster has not posted in the last 6 months, so may no longer be an active member and thus may not see your post.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Samantha57 wrote: »
    How ironic ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport