New job, New driver, Second hand or Hire purchase?

Comments

• GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,669
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    DoaM wrote: »
    3. Finance costs (for a new/recent car) will usually dwarf maintenance costs for an older car

Sorry, but this is plain wrong. It's not just the amount of interest, it's the total payments.

For example, my oldest bought his car for £450, put it through the first MoT for...err...£0, put it through the second MoT for £220, so minimum 2.5 years of motoring for £670 and still owns the car to sell to get something back even if he doesn't put it through the next MoT. £35 for oil & air filter and oil and it's good to go. How many months of a PCP etc can you get for £700 (and still not own the car :) )

Buy well cheaply and it'll save you a packet ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,794
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    GunJack wrote: »
    Sorry, but this is plain wrong. It's not just the amount of interest, it's the total payments.

For example, my oldest bought his car for £450, put it through the first MoT for...err...£0, put it through the second MoT for £220, so minimum 2.5 years of motoring for £670 and still owns the car to sell to get something back even if he doesn't put it through the next MoT. £35 for oil & air filter and oil and it's good to go. How many months of a PCP etc can you get for £700 (and still not own the car :) )

Buy well cheaply and it'll save you a packet ;)

Err... that's what DoaM was saying!?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 6 July 2018 at 8:00AM
    Err... that's what DoaM was saying!?

Exactly ... I'm so glad to be wrong and have the person calling me wrong say pretty much the same thing as I did. :D

I can see why GJ may have misread what I posted; but the other bullets should have made it clear what I meant. :)
  • GunJack
    Forumite
    Exactly ... I'm so glad to be wrong and have the person calling me wrong say pretty much the same thing as I did. :D

I can see why GJ may have misread what I posted; but the other bullets should have made it clear what I meant. :)

May I direct you to the Campaign For Clear English Sir?!?!?

....no offence, of course :D

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • DoaM
    Forumite
    But, but ... I live in Scotland! ;)
  • GunJack
    Forumite
    But, but ... I live in Scotland! ;)

That's even worse then, you're the Northern part of the Celtic Bretheren, we should be able to understand each other no matter what (unless you're from Glasgow, obviously ;):):D )

• Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Seemed quite clear to me. Finance payments on a new car will dwarf (be much larger than) maintenance costs on an old one. Unless possibly if it's a Vauxhall Corsa.
  • DoaM
    Forumite
    GunJack wrote: »
    That's even worse then, you're the Northern part of the Celtic Bretheren, we should be able to understand each other no matter what (unless you're from Glasgow, obviously ;):):D )

Actually I'm a Geordie, working undercover to try and persuade the locals to start supporting England in the World Cup .... :D

Most pubs advertising that they're showing the World Cup also seem to end it with ABE :)
  • DoaM
    Forumite
    Arklight wrote: »
    Unless possibly if it's a Vauxhall Corsa.

In which case the insurance quotes (for either new or old) will dwarf BOTH finance costs and maintenance costs. ;):D
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Definitely go used, find something horribly uncool (like the sort of thing your gran would like) for under £1000 that is in decent condition and has bearable insurance. Insurance will likely be the most expensive part on that mileage, age and in London.

Stick some money aside for repairs and upgrades, then when it fails it's MOT eventually, or you've got a big enough savings pot and some no claims discount behind you, you can upgrade to something nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure