New job, New driver, Second hand or Hire purchase?

I'm 18 and starting my new job on 18k a year in September. I need a car to get to my job efficiently. My parent advised me to purchase new but looking around i'm being told that second hand is safest. However most of the online sources i've looked at seem to be based on the fact that the parent is purchasing it. If i am paying for the car in it entirety on my own should i go for second hand or new on hire purchase?
Bonus points if you have car suggestions?
thanks!

Comments

• caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    How far are you commuting ? What fall back options do you have in terms of public transport, what job is it ?
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    18?? buy a cheapie used car (around £500), based on how much it costs to insure as that will be your biggest cost. Then you're not tied in to any 2/3/whatever year finance, and if you write it off you won't a. be too upset and b. still be paying finance on it.

Worked well for my oldest, he still has the car 2 years on :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Your insurance premiums on a new car at 18 are likely to be astronomical. Have you run any quotes?

Secondarily (well this is a moneysaving site), great work on getting a job, but £18k per annum does not afford a new car lifestyle, financially.

Get a run around with a reputation for bomb proof reliability, that you aren't going to be too upset at dinking on a bollard or five while you're learning to not be a learner driver, use it for a few years then see where you are financially.

:money::money::money:

media?id=aa9decbab8614583802340360cbf7028&width=720&height=540&paddingColour=e8e8e3

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806307982275?postcode=bd63xe&make=NISSAN&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&model=ALMERA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&radius=1501&page=1
  • How far are you commuting ? What fall back options do you have in terms of public transport, what job is it ?

It's a 30 mile, 40 minute drive every morning, 5 times a week. My only alternative is the train which costs £30 - £20 to get a 2 hour train which is not practical.
    18?? buy a cheapie used car (around £500), based on how much it costs to insure as that will be your biggest cost. Then you're not tied in to any 2/3/whatever year finance, and if you write it off you won't a. be too upset and b. still be paying finance on it.

My only worry is the reliability of a car at this price level and whether maintenance costs would be an issue.
    Get a run around with a reputation for bomb proof reliability, that you aren't going to be too upset at dinking on a bollard or five while you're learning to not be a learner driver, use it for a few years then see where you are financially.

This seems like solid advice, and i appreciate the car you've linked, but it located in Leeds and I live in London hahaha. Either way it has given me a good idea of what to look for
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Only wealthy people and companies buy new ... in the main.

For a first, second, third car.... 2nd hand is always cheapest. You'll appreciate buying 2nd hand when your grubby mates want a lift home from the pub "as you're the only one with a car"..... and leave their discarded chip papers and some old sort's knickers in the back :)
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Buy a gen 8 civic 2.2 diesel for £2000 or less with good history until you can afford something else.

I used to suggest 1.9 tdi vag engined car, golf/bora/A3/A4/Fabia/Octavia but the Civics I have had are miles better to drive and run in my experience.

Dont buy a new one or one on HP/PCP/Lease.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Arklight wrote: »
    media?id=aa9decbab8614583802340360cbf7028&width=720&height=540&paddingColour=e8e8e3

Are you still trying to sell that car! ;):D

As per others, 2nd hand all the way. A few pointers:

1. Take someone knowledgeable with you to look at cars
    2. You'll get more bang-for-buck buying private at the lower end of the market (hence point 1 above)
    3. Finance costs (for a new/recent car) will usually dwarf maintenance costs for an older car
    4. Avoid going for a Corsa or similar - these are common "boy racer" cars and so insurance is astronomical for young drivers. A non-cool car (like an Almera ;)) will be far cheaper to insure.

:)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    kumamanu wrote: »
    My only alternative is the train which costs £30 - £20 to get a 2 hour train which is not practical.
    By the time you'd paid for the monthly car payments, insurance, tax and servicing that £20-£30 for the train may seem like a bargain in comparison.
  • foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Buy a gen 8 civic 2.2 diesel for £2000 or less with good history until you can afford something else.

I used to suggest 1.9 tdi vag engined car, golf/bora/A3/A4/Fabia/Octavia but the Civics I have had are miles better to drive and run in my experience.

Dont buy a new one or one on HP/PCP/Lease.

2.2 and 1.9 diesels...the guys 18, won't have a chance getting insured.

My two penneth would be an 09 - 13 plate Ka. Sell loads of them to youngsters and they're great. Group 3 insurance, perfectly good for longish journeys and much more refined than an Aygo, C1 or 107. Nice ones can be had for £3000 - £5000.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The issue with typical small new driver cars promoted for their low insurance groups is that insurers don't use the insurance group to price. The insurers look at the number of claims on a particular model and the cost of the claims. New drivers are more prone to crashing so the small Corsa and fiesta type cars become more expensive to insurer. The 1.4 fiesta I bought a few years ago was the most expensive to insure car I had ever owned. BMW or merc was cheaper to insure.

Look at kia or hyundai as these are not popular with boy racers.

Run some quotes to get an idea of cost but make sure your facts are all correct. Estimate your mileage then double it as you will do far more than you think. Based on 30 miles each way your commute will be 15000 miles a year before you look at social use so you will need to declare 20000 to 25000 miles per annum. Combined with living in London, your age and being a new driver insurance costs will be eye watering on any car.

You will struggle to get an affordable rate on a new car as most are capped at around 10000 miles a year and charges can be 10p for each mile over. Over three years at 25000 a year you could end up with a bill for £4500 when you return the car.

Finally buy a well maintained older car just not anything like the Almera, it's become a bit of a bad joke on these pages.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure