Can I claim under contents insurance for damage done by SN child?

My child has violent outbursts due to their condition. They have today repeatedly kicked the electric wall heater until it's broken. This may be unsafe so I will need to get it replaced.
Can I claim under house insurance?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Do you have accidental damage as a cover extension on your policy?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Best to check your policy documents then give them a call.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 September 2019 at 2:31PM
    Is it accidental though? They could feel it's "wilful" or "malicious" damage (by the occupant) which could be excluded.

What is your excess (assuming you do have AD cover)?

Also, if they think there is a risk that this might happen again, they may refuse renewal or hike your premiums.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • SHAFT
    SHAFT Posts: 565 Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    Do you have accidental damage as a cover extension on your policy?

The damage doesn't sound like it's accidental and they may want a crime number to cover criminal damage.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have been taking out accidental damage top-up on our buildings & contents insurance since our son turned 2 years old and his disabilities became apparent, with the same hope of being able to claim - fortunately I've never had to test the need.

When we bought new appliances for this house five years ago (kitchen empty on moving), I had a long conversation with AO's aftersales team about whether damage caused by our son would be covered by their insurance scheme. I asked that the call be recorded and kept. They assured me that if our son was unaware - through disability - that his actions would cause such damage, then it would be considered accidental and be covered. I had visions of him opening and standing on the dishwasher door ... Again, we haven't needed to claim (yet).
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's a deliberate act so not covered. You could claim accidental but that would be fraud.

Unless violent outburst from family members is on your policy then you just have to let your conscience decide whether to claim or not.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Is it accidental though? They could feel it's "wilful" or "malicious" damage (by the occupant) which could be excluded.

What is your excess (assuming you do have AD cover)?

Also, if they think there is a risk that this might happen again, they may refuse renewal or hike your premiums.
    SHAFT wrote: »
    The damage doesn't sound like it's accidental and they may want a crime number to cover criminal damage.
    bris wrote: »
    It's a deliberate act so not covered. You could claim accidental but that would be fraud.

Unless violent outburst from family members is on your policy then you just have to let your conscience decide whether to claim or not.

Would have thought the “accident” justification of the claim was that the parent didn’t get to intervene in time to prevent the damage.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    silvercar wrote: »
    Would have thought the “accident” justification of the claim was that the parent didn’t get to intervene in time to prevent the damage.

I don’t see how a deliberate act can be considered an accident because the person who did it is a child with a disability. We’re not talking about a situation like Tigsteroonie describes where the child isn’t aware that the action will cause the damage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure