Shower in garage?

I'll shortly be moving into a bungalow in which the main bedroom is at the back, next to that and facing the front is the garage and I was wondering if it would be feasible to put just a shower in there and maybe a wash basin too. It's a semi detached bungalow which is joined to the neighbour at these points.

I've been reading that I may need planning permission to do this but can't remember getting permission to put a toilet in the garage of my present property.

Can anyone give me some advice on this please?

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Is the garage attached to the main building ?

If so, and assuming there is a door through to the garage, converting some of the space to a shower room may be possible. The conversion may well fall under permitted development. Any work done though, would be subject to building control sign off.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Assuming normal garage construction, you will have serious mould issues if you install a shower and associated heating without considering the insulation and ventilation of the space you use.

So, whatever you decide, it should meet building regulations for these.
  • My hubby wasn't supposed to put a toilet in one of our double garages (used as a workshop) because it was counted as habitable eek. He did put it in after it was signed off. Separate to house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure