ATM fees in Spain

Hi all,

I've got a Monzo card that I've been using overseas for a few years. However, on my recent trips abroad, I've often found it best value to actually get a little cash from somewhere before you go, and then to just pay for most things on the Monzo wherever you can when abroad.

I'll give you an example. In some countries, it's normal for there to be an ATM charge when withdrawing money - this is the case in Thailand for example. So these aren't fees applied by your bank, but by the bank that operate the ATM.

Anyway, I'm trying to find out what the trend is in Spain right now for ATM fees. The research I've done seems to suggest that some banks will charge you more, and some will charge less.

Does anyone know what the current state of play is? Which banks in Spain charge what (if anything) for using their ATMs?

Thanks

Ted

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Do some searching, this is a question that comes up and is answered quite often. Not always on this board though, sometimes on the Banking board, and sometimes on the Credit Card board.
  • superted187
    superted187 Posts: 65 Forumite
    My point was there's just mostly noise in the search results, but I'll sift through them
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used my 15 year old daughters Nationwide card which doesn't charge the transaction fee like mine would but the bank i withdrew from charged me 1.75%
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Hi all,

I've got a Monzo card that I've been using overseas for a few years. However, on my recent trips abroad, I've often found it best value to actually get a little cash from somewhere before you go, and then to just pay for most things on the Monzo wherever you can when abroad.

I'll give you an example. In some countries, it's normal for there to be an ATM charge when withdrawing money - this is the case in Thailand for example. So these aren't fees applied by your bank, but by the bank that operate the ATM.

Anyway, I'm trying to find out what the trend is in Spain right now for ATM fees. The research I've done seems to suggest that some banks will charge you more, and some will charge less.

Does anyone know what the current state of play is? Which banks in Spain charge what (if anything) for using their ATMs?

Thanks

Ted

Taking cash before you go in this case is pure folly. Will always be better value to take Sterling and change it when you get there.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/collecting-a-list-of-cash-machine-atm-fees-in-spain.60486/
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    From last year - Bankia and Euronet didn't charge.

But even banks that do charge it's about 2EUR or less, ie 1% or less if you withdraw 200EUR, so much cheaper than changing cash where there's usually a 3-6% markup on the rate.
  • EveryWhere
    zagfles wrote: »
    From last year - Bankia and Euronet didn't charge.

But even banks that do charge it's about 2EUR or less, ie 1% or less if you withdraw 200EUR, so much cheaper than changing cash where there's usually a 3-6% markup on the rate.

Check my link, above.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Check my link, above.
    Looks like Bankia have started charging, or maybe it depends on branch/location?
  • EveryWhere
    zagfles wrote: »
    Looks like Bankia have started charging, or maybe it depends on branch/location?

It's possible. I so rarely use cash that I don't remember being charged by any bank.
  • travellerboy
    travellerboy Posts: 797 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2019 at 2:12PM
    With a Santander bank account its free to use their ATM anywhere in Spain and Europe with your debit card and the conversion rate is the best (Visa daily rate without any fees). For the best rate using a credit card you need a Tandem CC.
  • EveryWhere
    With a Santander bank account its free to use their ATM anywhere in Spain and Europe with your debit card and the conversion rate is the best (Visa daily rate without any fees). For the best rate using a credit card you need a Tandem CC.

Something horribly wrong with your post.
    Absolutely not correct.

You should think long and hard before attempting to give any more advice on the subject.

As for Tandem, it is just one of many credit cards good for travel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure