Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 27th Nov 18, 5:03 AM
    • 104Posts
    • 28Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    TIF Group - High Court, Martin Lewis likely witness, the Times legal suit vs TIF
    • 27th Nov 18, 5:03 AM
    TIF Group - High Court, Martin Lewis likely witness, the Times legal suit vs TIF 27th Nov 18 at 5:03 AM
    Appalling story from Turkey but we see reports from Crete, Vietnam, S America and SE Asia a lot as well.
    TIF Group (Travel Insurance Facilities based in Kings Hill Kent)

Husband returns to the hospital on day two - turns out he has SEPSIS and his organs start to shut down. Ends up in intensive care (ICU)....the hospital says it will not accept TIF Group insurance (Alpha, Holidaysafe, Covered2Go, Insuracewith etc - see UK1 post) because "THEY OWE TOO MUCH MONEY".

The bottom line is that wife decided that is was better to pay HERSELF for an air ambulance costing £27k back to the UK rather than the hospital take him off the ventilator delaying the flight and racking up more bills without insurance since the hospital would not talk with TIF because they owe "too much money" they say. This tallies with a recent TripAdvisor report saying no hospital would accept TIF in Turkey.

WORSE STILL, and it alludes to what is in the FCA dossier the Times referred to, TIF tried to invalidate her out of her policy. They told her, in the middle of this nightmare, that the policy was invalid because it was a "PRE-EXISTING CONDITION".....is that so? Sepsis.....I think you would find he would be dead or are we just stupid policyholders. Astonishing isn't it.

Similar story in Thailand around the same time. We will ignore TIF trying to move the man to another hospital. The doctor objected saying his heart attack could really kill him. Surprise, surprise...The hospital REFUSED THE POLICY saying they were owed money going back several years. The copy of the letter is out there on the Times Twitter. Threatened with the police for non-payment. TIF were not finished though....tried for FOUR days to make him fly home economy but relented on day four.

On their arrival back home...sent flowers.

We are hearing on other sites that the Whistleblower said to the FCA that Thai hospitals wrote to the Britsh Embassy trying to get TIF banned from SE Asia. We have seen unpaid bills from Singapore with one poor fellow being pursued by the hospital despite TIF saying in emails it had been paid....elsewhere in the world too and we read the other day Crete and Vietnam added to the growing global list.

We also see people moved from a hospital WITH an operating facility to one where TIF was told was full....UNOPERATED ON FOR 13 DAY....ANOTHER 11 days in Malaysia.

I want to see this dossier I must say. Perhaps people who have had similar experiences should report them to the regulator. That was advice of the CEO of Which I believe on her seeing these reports.
    Last edited by Mark Bedford; 24-04-2019 at 2:16 PM. Reason: added word
Page 9
    • Insurance nightmare
    • By Insurance nightmare 27th Aug 19, 7:45 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Insurance nightmare
    Several more five star reviews on Trustpilot this morning
    Several more five star reviews on Trustpilot this morning, all posted within a several minutes of one another.

TIF has moved from a 1 star to a 2 star rating, with bad reviews having dropped to 71%.
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 27th Aug 19, 8:20 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    I've written to Trustpilot to investigate. I encourage you all to do the same and ensure they look into it.

What I imagine is happening is that they're targeting those who have claimed for minimal amounts and have had it settled to review on their tifgroup page.

This is, of course, after trying to claim tifgroup don't deal with customers.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 27th Aug 19, 9:20 PM
    • 20,737 Posts
    • 12,848 Thanks
    dacouch
    I've written to Trustpilot to investigate. I encourage you all to do the same and ensure they look into it.

What I imagine is happening is that they're targeting those who have claimed for minimal amounts and have had it settled to review on their tifgroup page.

This is, of course, after trying to claim tifgroup don't deal with customers.
    Originally posted by JoycieB
    It's often as simple as the company who subscribe to Trust Pilot query the review and TP contact the reviewer for proof they are a customer. Many simply won't bother to reply and the review is removed
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 28th Aug 19, 7:53 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    Geoff. Emma. Douglas. Gary. Paul. Christopher. Michelle. All 5 star reviews in the last 24 hours. An interesting pattern.

What is more interesting is "Customer Bill Lyon" and "CustomerPam" on the tif page. CustomerDorothy on Alpha, "Customer" on HolidaySafe, "Customer" on Puffin. That's a very interesting pattern.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 29th Aug 19, 7:39 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    Another policy holder pursued by debt collectors
    In Mexico they report that ANOTHER TIF Group insurance bill has not been paid. TIF told them it was sorted and now they are being chased by debt collectors.

Don't worry Mrs Hudson the FCA are tracking these. Richard Smith, Sarah Adams, Stephen Howard are going to need some sort of explanation for the FCA. Apparently the FCA when they call refer to TIF as though they will "go to appeal" and then an announcement will be made. Sounds like the FCA have something planned in court then for TIF is that's the language used.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/reviews/5d4dd842f018690bd04bbcb1
    Last edited by Mark Bedford; 29-08-2019 at 7:41 PM. Reason: better
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 29th Aug 19, 7:58 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    Just checked TrustPilot after posting my previous post. Thick and fast now: from six hours ago....another policy holder being sent demands for unpaid bills.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/users/5d67d186fdbbf13a36f72859
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 4th Sep 19, 6:53 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    Well now. An allegation on Twitter that one of the “reviewers” has denied ever making a review, despite being a tifgroup customer. That would explain how a company goes from having a rating of 1 star for years, to gaining another 2 stars in the space of a week.

Will be interesting how this one plays out.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 4th Sep 19, 9:33 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    Good Morning,

It's also "interesting" that when you look at the Trust Pilot site only recent negative reviews seem to survive for a day or so and then deleted. Some of the positive views look of the same hand and have some naming style similarities.
    • Insurance nightmare
    • By Insurance nightmare 5th Sep 19, 12:35 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Insurance nightmare
    Well now. An allegation on Twitter that one of the “reviewers” has denied ever making a review, despite being a tifgroup customer. That would explain how a company goes from having a rating of 1 star for years, to gaining another 2 stars in the space of a week.

Will be interesting how this one plays out.
    Originally posted by JoycieB
    Hi Joycie,

Are you able to provide a link to that tweet please? Also, has trustpilot replied to your complaint about the suspicious number of positive feedback recently?

Cheers and thanks!
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 5th Sep 19, 1:58 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    if you search for tifgroup, you'll find it quite easily.

They haven't replied yet. They were quick to reply when tifgroup tried to get rid of their page, maybe they're investigating.
    • TLJ201
    • By TLJ201 14th Sep 19, 8:26 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    TLJ201
    It still looks bad in more ways than one.
    Tick tock.
    All will be discovered. The only reason they are in this situation is because of how they have treated their customers.
    I think for them they will find the damage is done.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 14th Sep 19, 12:01 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    The fact is that it'as clear that there has been rogue management at this organisation for a long time that has ruined the lives of many people.

Whilst hopefully they are behaving better lately it doesn't negate the need for extreme caution when buying from them. The reason why is that so far they have not only failed to acknowledge these terrible failings but have said that they haven't happened.

It is imprudent therefore to trust a company that has done wrong if they fail to acknowledge it and provide credible reassurance that they know that and have changed. You can only "forgive" those that genuinely seek forgiveness and acknowledge what was wrong.

Until then the impression will persist that they will simply carry on and only do stuff that helps them sell more product.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 15th Sep 19, 9:42 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    Hi Mark,

Are you able in as general a sense as you do comfortably, indicate why the FCA isn't taking any interim meausres to protect the public?
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 16th Sep 19, 8:13 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    It still looks bad in more ways than one.
    Tick tock.
    All will be discovered. The only reason they are in this situation is because of how they have treated their customers.
    I think for them they will find the damage is done.
    Originally posted by TLJ201
    "But look at our Trustpilot reviews, your honour".

The. Net. Is. Closing.
    • ianrob
    • By ianrob 18th Sep 19, 4:15 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ianrob
    Ethical travel insurance provider?
    I have recently posted on the Insurance forum on MSE. My son had issues with Alpha (TIF) last year, which I got involved in. I am currently searching for an annual worldwide policy. I have recently researched the poor reviews relating to many of the travel insurance providers in the UK. The overall consensus is that many providers will go to extreme lengths to deny a legitimate claim. 12% of complaints to the Ombudsman regarding insurance are related to travel insurance. My question is - is there an ETHICAL travel insurance provider out there?
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 26th Sep 19, 9:12 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    User on twitter asking tif's PR guy if he backs their medical director. Interesting one as the medical director has been called into question numerous times, including coroners court.

Given that he's used that account to deal with tifgroup customer queries in the past, will be somewhat telling if he doesn't respond.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 26th Sep 19, 1:06 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    where is that Twitter?...whats the link?
    • TLJ201
    • By TLJ201 30th Sep 19, 11:15 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    TLJ201
    Just go on twitter and search up tif its easy enough to find.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

1,741Users online

Martin's Twitter