22 Foxhole East

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    Well the house next door is valued at £40k+ more than ours, and the layout is pretty similar, we are in a terrace, and although ours needs a lot of work it is not £40k's worth! There is a bit of re-development going on close by, an old victorian warehouse type thing is being converted into flats, sorry, luxury apartments with huge windows and silly shaped rooms, but they seem to be selling well, and it is within 10 mins walk of both Leicester and De Montford Universities, so resale should not be a problem. We are just on the 'wrong' side of the road to a very desirable neighbourhood. Tbh we could not afford a 3 bed on the right side of the road, for an extra 2 bedrooms and £20k in the bank, I will happily wait for the green man to flash.

Sounds like you're not too far from me, I'm in Wigston and just awaiting my completion date (end of September it should be!)
    Will be following your diary :D good luck with the overpayments!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,817
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 September 2016 at 9:46AM
    Oh my giddy Aunt!!!!!!!!!!!

I just checked the mortgage account, thinking Hooray! the money went out this morning so I will see how much I can overpay to make it a 'tidy' amount - I like the balance to be 0.00, I am in no way whatsoever a neat freak in any other aspect of my life, but I like my accounts to be that way (not apologising!). So it was £117,100.00 when I left it last month, and the repayment is around £470 but it will not show up until tomorrow (boo!) but the amount left is now £117,224:eek: It had gone up! I don't know why that was such a shock to me, £124.00 in interest a month - which is just over £6 a day, at the cheapy interest rate we are on for the next 12 months. Must just have been I was expecting a £116, with the payment having gone out.

If that is not a motivation to overpay this beast then nothing is.

So things I have learnt today are....... I should check the amount of interest we are paying on 1st of the month, and then check again on 2nd of the month for the actual balance.

I am not used to daily calculated interest either, our last mortgage which was the most amazing product on the market ever - collared and capped and interest calculated once a year in December - was only very briefly on the market before it was pulled. That is probably why the increase was such a shock. :rotfl:

So, I shall update my siggie tomorrow instead, and then next month I will be able to see if the interest charged is less because of any tiny overpayment I can make.

Right, off to do something vaguely productive.....
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • f0xh0les
    Forumite
    Right, September mortgage debt after payment was ...........£116,751.85

So I overpaid £51.85 cos £116.700 looks tidier:rotfl:

It seems DH has only paid the standard payment not any extra:( . - Oh well, one day he will get on board!

Goodbye £117's now to smash through the £116's

Have a lovely weekend !
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
  • f0xh0les
    Forumite
    Weekly cupboard inventory sorted and meal plans drawn up for 8 main meals, all breakfasts, and with the exception of the fruit I will buy at the market tomorrow, all lunchboxes sorted....

I am going to play a little game next week.
    I am taking out £20 tomorrow (Sat), and that is going to have to do me until Friday morning when the CTC comes in.

The kids have come home with letters from school - swimming lessons and after school clubs etc, all at the same time - I have 3 birthdays between now and the end of the year, and the 'C' word is coming. Argh
  • f0xh0les
    Forumite
    I was catching up on diaries last night, and the thing that popped up most often, was 'having an austerity month' this month. Guess we are all paying for summer:D.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Well done on your overpayments already. Im sure thats exactly why everyone is having an austerity month!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    That's a lot of moving! I'm not far from Sheffield (between Matlock and Bakewell).

We also live in a neglected Victorian built property. Have done for nigh on a decade, made it presentable but a roof replacement is on the cards and after that replace the 1950s green bathroom we've been living with. Everyone on here seems to get on with things a lot quicker than I, though. :rotfl:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • f0xh0les
    Forumite
    Hey ALK, thanks for dropping by.
    That is a beautiful part of the country you live in, and that is exactly the word I am aiming for - presentable - as the in-laws are due to visit in October and they are determined to dislike the house.

Executive Decision : I am going to tart up the entrance hall next weekend, all it needs is a coat of paint and a few rolls of wallpaper. DH is away in a field next weekend Fri-Sun, so I can just not tell him and freak him out when he gets back. Otherwise there will be lots of sighing and eye rolling and muttering about 'mess'.

I decorated one of the DS's bedrooms while he was at work, and he came home to a black and white striped horizontal wall. I have never wallpapered horizontally before, might never do it again - well, not on my own, but it looks amazing. The downside is DH can't go in there cos it makes him feel sick. Looks very posh though for £6 a roll bargain basement Wilko wallpaper - like this :

http://www.wilko.com/all-wallpaper/wilko-stripe-wallpaper-blackwhite-50-576/invt/0332113

I have since found out it is the same as Victoria's Secret use in their changing rooms!

The place will look a million times better once I can carpet the hall/stair/landings, but I can't do that until we get the roof sorted, as it is going to involve a whole lot of mess, insulation and ceiling replastering - so new carpets can go on the back burner.

I am getting quotes for a new shower and new flooring in the bathroom - if one more tradesman tells me the house is 'a big job' or hopes we got it for 'a good price' I swear I am going to scream.

Yes the house has issues, but apart from the roof, it is all on the ground floor. Everything upstairs is cosmetic and can be sorted by me. They don't seem to realise I can live with downstairs as long as the boys have warm, comfy bedrooms they like and are happy to be in, we have somewhere to sit together, and somewhere we can eat together.

The good news is that I have had our first quarterly gas and electric statement - I moved from BG as they were charging me £124 a month for the first two months we were here, and then I had to get £200 back once we changed to a cheaper offer with 3DF. They are only charging me £58 a month, and I am already £40 in credit with them - so that's good, but I am also aware I turn off my central heating in April and turn it back on in October, which means I am going to get a much bigger bill - but it is only on for an hour 6.30 - 7.30 am while the kids are getting up and ready for school and then 5-9pm with hot choc before bed and a hot water bottle! Poor children!

- best check the seals on the hot water bottles - I think I know where they are.... maybe.......

This is the first house I have lived in for 15 years that has an airing cupboard - I am loving it! warm towels and bone dry laundry. Will be handy for making pizza and focaccia rise in winter too.

Right, my morning will involve nice filter coffee (using up stores, we have 3 open at the minute - DH is fickle- and one unopened in the pantry) 59p croissants in a tin by Jus-Roll via Heron Foods, and a car boot sale. Perfect.
  • f0xh0les
    Forumite
    Bit the bullet this morning, I have left messages for two local builder/plumbers to come and quote for my bathroom - the shower door must have been left open at some point, and the fake tiled floor has bulged up and flaked and split and it looks horrible - it was covered by a lovely thick bathmat when we were viewing, so we didn't notice.

The shower seems to have dropped 1/2 a cm, which we did notice, and so we knew it was going to need replacing/work doing on it, and I think that is the main cause of the flaking wall plaster in the kitchen.

Well, when I say flaking, it is falling off the wall and held on by anaglypta wallpaper (which my revolting kids misheard and renamed anal glitter wallpaper), the bottom of the wallpaper is like Nora Batty's tights! You couldn't miss it. So if there was constant dripping water coming from the unsealed shower, that would go a long way to explaining it (fingers crossed!!), easy fix. But that is downstairs, and I am not thinking about downstairs this year. :p

Not much of a budget for it though. £1,500. I would love a walk in shower, and there is quite a lot of room for it, but we will see. At least I will know how much more I need to save.

Bad case of Mondaymorningitis today.:mad: 3 of the DS's were complaining of imaginary illnesses, the eldest said 'I think I may possibly have diarrhoea' when that didn't get the desired effect, he printed out his homework pdq! :rotfl:

Only just managed to get 1 & 2 to school on time, and had to iron one pair of school trousers dry, as #2 decided 2pm on Sunday was the right time to bring his school uniform down to be washed.

Reminds me I need to contact H0tp0int to get a replacement dryer cos mine is one of the faulty ones and I was waiting until we moved house before getting them to deliver a new one. :T No point moving it twice eh?
  • f0xh0les
    Forumite
    Well that all worked surprisingly well. I managed to rack up 5NSD in a row after taking out my £20. Will do it again this week after I have bought the groceries and duvet covers - DS2 & DS3 have been upgraded to double beds - guess who only had 3 double duvet covers - can't wash 'em until I have something to go back on the beds!
    But looking at Wilk0 £10 reversible ones. Plus sheets (sigh!).

Had two people come round and have a look at the bathroom. I want a new shower, cubicle, pipes put under the floor, new floor, new tiles - the shower has been leaking for YEARS and the floorboards underneath have rotted, thus the shower tray has dropped a centimeter, but the joists appear sound. One quoted last night, off the top of his head, around 4-5 THOUSAND! Depending on what shower I chose. And an estimate of 2-3 weeks. Blimey! I was kind of expecting £2k tops. Need a proper rethink, and more quotes. The cubicle/tray/waste pipes I was looking at was £300, the tiles on floor were £25 m2 so around £150, the shower head £200. All the materials to do the job would come in under £1000 including the tiles for the walls. Wow! Hopefully his was just the silly quote. You always get one. Will wait and see - I do not mind paying someone to do a job well, and I do not begrudge a man a living, but bloody hell, I am keeping the bath and the sink and toilet. It is just the floor, shower and tiling I want to change.

Maybe I am not being realistic, but surely it should not cost more than taking off and putting on an entire roof and replastering the ceilings!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure