Puppy Training Support

Options
I have a 4 month old Terrier cross Cavapoo. I am feeling really alone in her training and struggling. I was hoping to share my struggles online here and get some advice from the community. :)
I live alone in a very small 2 bed townhouse. It is over 3 floors, with one room on each level. My pup is called Nula. When I first got her I was using my spare-room to sleep next to her in her crate. She was already crate trained. This worked quite well, but after 5 weeks of this, I needed to move back to my own bed and room. 5 weeks was the point she started sleeping through the night without needing the loo. She now sleeps alone from 11pm to 8am. She wakes up super hyper after having no contact and not being near me. I want to move her crate upstairs, but it has to travel 2 floors, so I am struggling to plan how I will do a gradual transition.
Has anyone else had to move a crate, without being able to slowly edge the movements? What was your experience?
Also, whenever I have taken her to my bedroom she has peed on my bed. I know this might be because it smells of me, but I am wondering how to stop this? Any ideas?

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are moving her crate upstairs to your bedroom to be near you then you do not need to do it gradually. You only need to do it gradually if moving her away from you.

Do not allow her free access in your bedroom. Keep her beside you so you can watch her a pick up any signs of her needing to pee. She is still young and will not yet be reliable on housetraining.

Take her out to empty before you take her up to the bedroom.

Teach her a toilet command by repeating it when she goes outside and giving her a small reward at the place she goes. Once she knows the cue then it makes life much easier when you can ask her to go when needed.

Look online for puppy training classes near you. Make sure they use kind, reward based methods.

I f you want to say what area you are in someone may be able to recommend somewhere.

Your vet surgery may know of any local classes
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 October 2019 at 9:54PM
    Options
    Personally I'd say don't let her on your bed if she's peeing on it, but then I have a no dogs in bedroom rule anyway. :)
    I think the being hyper is less to do with not sleeping near you, and more to with having a long sleep and being full of energy when she wakes.
    Bear in mind that mental exercise tires out more than physical - find her something to do when you first let her out that will take the edge off the "wheeeeee. it's morning" routine.
    What and how often do you feed? Wondering if giving her breakfast in a kong wobbler will get rid of some of that energy when she first gets up?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • *Tangles*
    *Tangles* Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A fellow trainer has written the perfect book for you ...well worth looking at, it's called "Easy Peasy Puppy Squeezy" by Steve Mann.

When I have a pup in the house I always leave a radio on at night & night light. It just seems to soothe them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure