Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Sep 19, 6:22 PM
    • 67,379Posts
    • 305,453Thanks
    beanielou
    Autumn Slimming World Support Thread 2019
    • 7th Sep 19, 6:22 PM
    Autumn Slimming World Support Thread 2019 7th Sep 19 at 6:22 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you, go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list; so that's pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra choice and one Healthy Extra choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 16 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
Page 5
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Sep 19, 10:40 PM
    • 67,379 Posts
    • 305,453 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great loss poundsinbucks
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 16 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Sep 19, 11:00 PM
    • 20,857 Posts
    • 123,706 Thanks
    maman
    Great loss poundsinbucks
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Well done PIB
    • esmy
    • By esmy 10th Sep 19, 11:51 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 5,522 Thanks
    esmy
    Well done Poundsinbucks!

Does anyone recommend any soup recipes that are sw friendly and nice? I like a blitzed smooth soup rather than chunky
    Originally posted by klew356
    My favourite is cauliflower and horseradish. Very easy and when blitzed it's creamy. Syn free for a portion.

1 onion chopped
    1/2 a head of cauliflower, chopped into chunks
    Pint of vegetable stock (cubes are fine)
    Seasoning
    1 tsp horseradish sauce

Fry the onion in frylight till soft. Add the cauli and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 mins or till the cauli is soft. Blitz in a blender/ hand blender. Return to the pan, add seasoning to taste and stir in the horseradish
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Sep 19, 6:26 AM
    • 7,130 Posts
    • 51,166 Thanks
    joedenise
    Great loss PIB.

On the clothes front have a look in charity shops for some things. No point in paying loads of money on new things which won't fit you 3 months down the line and you'll need to buy more!

That soup sounds nice esmy. Not one I've had before might give that a try when I get a good priced cauliflower, or even do the same as I do with the cauliflower & blue cheese one and use some frozen!

Denise
    • klew356
    • By klew356 11th Sep 19, 7:59 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 2,918 Thanks
    klew356
    Well done Poundsinbucks!

My favourite is cauliflower and horseradish. Very easy and when blitzed it's creamy. Syn free for a portion.

1 onion chopped
    Seasoning
    1 tsp horseradish sauce

Fry the onion in frylight till soft. Add the cauli and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 mins or till the cauli is soft. Blitz in a blender/ hand blender. Return to the pan, add seasoning to taste and stir in the horseradish
    Originally posted by esmy

Oh that’s sounds good! I like to try different things so I will aim to make that this weekend!
    • klew356
    • By klew356 11th Sep 19, 8:00 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 2,918 Thanks
    klew356
    I have got pork mince defrosting this morning, not sure what I am going to do with it yet, any ideas? I have some of those stand and stuff things needing used too, anyone use those?
    • Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 11th Sep 19, 9:06 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 4,903 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    Cauli and horseradish soup sounds lovely and will defo be on the menu!
    I went to a yoga class for the 1st time. I really enjoyed it, feel very soothed and zen.
    Today's plan is:-
    Hea milk
    Heb promise roll
    B banana
    L bacon medallion sandwich with mushrooms, nectarine
    D chilli and rice. Might have some cheese on top for an extra He a.

Off to visit a friend in hospital today. She tripped at home, landed on the bottom step and fractured her lumbar spine. She has had the op to stabilise it and is really fed up being so still and bored. Hoping I can cheer her up - we usually have a right laugh but I think the black dog is getting at her so we shall see.
    Have a good day everyone xx
    • Pennylane
    • By Pennylane 11th Sep 19, 9:37 AM
    • 2,121 Posts
    • 6,215 Thanks
    Pennylane
    Am filling in SAS logs this week and it has been jaw dropping how many syns have crept in! Sunday and Monday were terrible when I added them up so yesterday I made a real determined effort and was down to just 3.5 syns.

Just wondering whether anybody else is disappointed with their clothes sizes. I am 5’3” and now weigh 14 st 7 lbs having lost 1st 11 lbs. I bought a new nightdress yesterday and still need a size 20 (M and Co) pants I wear size 16 M and S. Leggings I buy size 18 usually M and S. Most other things I buy are size 18/20 or Large depending where I shop. I will admit I hate tight clothes whereas my friend is about my size but wears her clothes very tight so buys a smaller size.

Looking for a 3 lb loss this week to get my 2 stone award!
    • Pennylane
    • By Pennylane 11th Sep 19, 9:39 AM
    • 2,121 Posts
    • 6,215 Thanks
    Pennylane
    Well done Poundsinbucks!

1 onion chopped
    Seasoning
    1 tsp horseradish sauce

Originally posted by esmy
    That sounds delish! I will try that soon. thanks.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 11th Sep 19, 10:00 AM
    • 4,192 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Is it possible that you can eat too much fruit? Think I had a little too much this morning. Won't eat so much in future.

B - Coffee (HEA1), Watermelon, banana, grapes, apricots (S, F)

L - Crustless Quiche (HEA2), salad (S), LO rice (F)
    WW Yog (0.5)
    Hula Hoop Pufts (3.5) or Monster Munch (no idea on syns, any help?)

D - Tuna (P)
    Pasta (F)
    Mayo (2.0)
    Sweetcorn (F)

S - Alpen Bars x 2 (HEB)
    Tea x 3 (HEA1)
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2018) - £169,999.96
    (End 2019) - Target £160,000
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Sep 19, 11:01 AM
    • 20,857 Posts
    • 123,706 Thanks
    maman
    I have got pork mince defrosting this morning, not sure what I am going to do with it yet, any ideas?
    Not a very exciting suggestion but I enjoy pork burgers as a change form beef. I generally add onions and dill but anything you fancy would pep them up. I often add chopped capers or cornichons for a bit of crunch. Lidl still don't have any large jars of cornichons though. I suspect we won't see them again.

I have some of those stand and stuff things needing used too, anyone use those?
    What are they?

Am filling in SAS logs this week and it has been jaw dropping how many syns have crept in! Sunday and Monday were terrible when I added them up so yesterday I made a real determined effort and was down to just 3.5 syns.
    Originally posted by Pennylane
    Where did you find the syns creeping in penny? I'd love to know as I think that can be an issue for target members as well.

Just wondering whether anybody else is disappointed with their clothes sizes. I am 5’3” and now weigh 14 st 7 lbs having lost 1st 11 lbs. I bought a new nightdress yesterday and still need a size 20 (M and Co) pants I wear size 16 M and S. Leggings I buy size 18 usually M and S. Most other things I buy are size 18/20 or Large depending where I shop. I will admit I hate tight clothes whereas my friend is about my size but wears her clothes very tight so buys a smaller size.
    I know many people are disappointed when they don't drop through the dress sizes more quickly. It doesn't seem to link up logically with weightloss. Taking measurements can help as that gives you proof that you're definitely losing inches. I wouldn't worry too much about different sizing in different stores though. Some shops really save on fabric by making things skimpy and sometimes it's to do with style/cut as well . And I'm often amazed by people in the magazines who say they're a size 12 but they're a couple of stone heavier than me.

Is it possible that you can eat too much fruit? Think I had a little too much this morning. Won't eat so much in future.
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    I don't think you've had too much fruit today as it helps to offset having no Speed with your dinner. Generally though I'd say that it is better to have Speed veg rather than Speed fruit. It's a personal opinion but sugar is sugar however natural. SW took some fruits off the Speed list at the last review and I think it was for that reason. Grapes used to be Speed but now they're just free like bananas. A 25g bag of Monster Munch is 6 syns so I'd stick with the Pufts.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 11th Sep 19, 11:10 AM
    • 4,192 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Boo to the Monster Munch. I love Monster Munch. But luckily have a bag of Pufts in my drawer at work which I didn't eat yesterday.

The stand up and stuff things are (I'm guessing) the tortillas that look like little boats. We had them last night, but I avoided them along with the tacos and just ate mince and rice and salad!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2018) - £169,999.96
    (End 2019) - Target £160,000
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Sep 19, 11:13 AM
    • 20,857 Posts
    • 123,706 Thanks
    maman
    I'm going into today with 31.5 syns left and no plans to use them. that should be plenty to cover my meal out last Thursday evening whcih I'd be surprised if it was more than 20 but we'll see tomorrow at WI.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit (free squash) , HEB toast with baked beans (F) and fried egg (P), HEA1 milk for drinks.
    L: chicken, ham (P) with fried potato (F), veg and pickles (S)
    D: SW Bolognese (P&S) with tagliatelle (F) and HEA2 Parmesan
    Syns: 0
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Sep 19, 11:14 AM
    • 20,857 Posts
    • 123,706 Thanks
    maman
    Boo to the Monster Munch. I love Monster Munch. But luckily have a bag of Pufts in my drawer at work which I didn't eat yesterday.

The stand up and stuff things are (I'm guessing) the tortillas that look like little boats. We had them last night, but I avoided them along with the tacos and just ate mince and rice and salad!
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    Well done!
    • esmy
    • By esmy 11th Sep 19, 12:41 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 5,522 Thanks
    esmy

Penny, I started at size 18, going on 20, now a 12/14 after around 3.5 stone lost. It seemed to take ages to drop one size - probably around the 2 stone mark - then quicker through the sizes. I was still buying 18s when I was really a 14 so I think there's something in our heads that takes a while to catch up with our new body shape. I hate trying on clothes so would just pick something up and return it if no good. Do you try things on? Only when I went shopping with a friend and she insisted I try something on in a smaller size did I get it. There's a part of me that still doesn't believe a 12 will fit me (and it doesn't always because of shop variations) but, like you, I've got to know where it's worth a try.
    Today I'm wearing some old size 16 jeans with a belt (Primani) and a 12 jumper (Next), so don't get too hung up on the label size!

Today's Menu (trying to keep syns low today)
    B 1/2 grapefruit (S)with 1/2 tsp sugar (1/2)
    Bran crunch (HEB) with a little milk (HEA)
    L HM scotch egg (F,P) with salad (S) LTL mayo (1/2)
    apple, tangerine (S)
    D Roast gammon (P) with mashed swede (S) and other veg (S) no potatoes, spash of gravy (1.5)

Have a good day everyone.
    • Top Girl
    • By Top Girl 11th Sep 19, 1:44 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 8,263 Thanks
    Top Girl
    With pork mince, I always do my own twist on the original PON dirty rice recipe. I love it and it's easy and quick.

Favourite soups here are chicken noodle and potato, bacon and leek. Both syn free.

WI tonight and NOT expecting a loss. I had a minor op on Friday and over-treated myself at the weekend to compensate!

B - Egg muffins

D - Ham, egg, potatoes and a huge salad. An apple.

T - Cottage pie, cabbage and leeks

HEXA - Milk/cheese

HEXB - Hi-fi bars later

No syns planned yet... Plenty of snackajacks in my cupboard for later though.
    • klew356
    • By klew356 11th Sep 19, 2:45 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 2,918 Thanks
    klew356
    Not a very exciting suggestion but I enjoy pork burgers as a change form beef. I generally add onions and dill but anything you fancy would pep them up. I often add chopped capers or cornichons for a bit of crunch. Lidl still don't have any large jars of cornichons though. I suspect we won't see them again.

What are they?

Originally posted by maman
    taco boats? like tortilla boats i have seen people do liek pizza type things with them
    • klew356
    • By klew356 11th Sep 19, 2:46 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 2,918 Thanks
    klew356
    With pork mince, I always do my own twist on the original PON dirty rice recipe. I love it and it's easy and quick.

Favourite soups here are chicken noodle and potato, bacon and leek. Both syn free.
    Originally posted by Top Girl
    soup sounds good, oh i will have to look up the dirty rice! thank you!
    • Vegastare
    • By Vegastare 11th Sep 19, 3:41 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    Vegastare
    W I today and 1/2 lb loss so just below target....just need to keep the faith and not do what I did last time...and then months to get it back off!!

Winter veg and lentil soup.

85g dried red lentils, 2 carrots quartered lengthways and sliced
    3 sticks sliced celery
    2 small leeks sliced
    2 tbsp tom puree (oil free one)
    2 gloves garlic chopped
    1 veg oxo
    chopped parsley and pinch mixed herbs. Can added thyme or ground corriander (I found the thyme drowned out the other flavour.
    1 to 1 1/2 lt boiling water from kettle

Add everything expect chopped parsley in pan and add water, simmer for 30 mins. Can blend if desired ( I blend about half quantity - don't like it too mushy) stir parsley in at end.

Speedy tom soup
    Plus
    1 cans of tomatoes
    1 tbps tom puree oil free
    1 tin of carrots drained
    1 tin baked beans
    1 chicken oxo or veg oxo
    1/2 pint water
    1 pickled onion( I omit this) Heat and blend.

The winter lentil freezes well and hubby loves it, am going to try the cauliflower recipe....have always done this - but no way was it SW friendly with the cheddar and cream
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Sep 19, 3:43 PM
    • 7,130 Posts
    • 51,166 Thanks
    joedenise
    Still stuck at hospital, have had 4 hour fluids but calcium levels are way too high this morning so have now had another blood test and having to wait for the result to see if I can go home or whether I have to have more fluids. No idea what time I'm going to bet home today.

Today's food - as on plan as I could in the circs-

B - overnight oats - HEB, S & F
    L - smoked salmon sandwich 7 syns; HM scotch egg - P & F; still hungry so hospital restaurant and had veg curry and rice couple for oil?
    D - pasta of some sort! Will sort out when I get home but will be syn free

Denise
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,313Posts Today

9,840Users online

Martin's Twitter