Why no update for my old Windows?

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Chino wrote: »
    What did you find specifically bad about Vista? I used both it and Windows 7 and whilst Windows 7 was a bit slicker than Vista, I never found it that much better. I suspect that if Windows 7 had been branded "Vista SP 2" everyone would have hated it as well.

Realistically W7 was what Vista should have been.
    Its main issue from what I recall was it was simply too far ahead of what general PC specs were. so it was a sludge fest for average users.
    Aero was lovely but took far too much system resources on most folks day to day machines
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5482366
    I would rather get a new PC than mess about upgrading an operating system. My PC is almost 9 years old now anyway.

from June 2016. My guess is that you are hoping that it will conk out, then you will be forced to buy another. Until then you will do nothing, struggling along with a poorly tuned PC.

Your Core 2 Duo E4200 is badly in need of a solid state drive. From £17. https://www.mymemory.co.uk/integral-120gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-ssd-drive-560mb-s.html
    £7 for 4 GB of RAM; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Memory-Ram-4-Desktop-PC-DDR2-667-PC2-5300U-240-DIMM-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-2x-GB-Lot/322702734848

Clean install windows 10 (perhaps £3).

It will be like a brand new device. Certainly faster than it ever was before, for £27.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2019 at 4:24PM
    I have a couple of E2400 machines running pretty good on a clean install of W10 and 4GB memory still with the HDD. No good for gaming but fine for everyday surfing. Luckily had some W7 licences on machines that were running oem W7 serials ;)
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    So you'll just keep on procrastinating and then coming back here when you have another problem with Vista...which no one else is using?

Swap the current HDD for an SSD, clean install Windows 10 to it. No possibility for you to mess anything up with your old data, as you won't be touching it.

Performance will increase, possibly substantially. Cost as little as £17.

No, i made the thread for the reason stated. I am not having a problem at all.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    No, i made the thread for the reason stated. I am not having a problem at all.

That's what you think. https://www.cvedetails.com/product/9591/Microsoft-Windows-Vista.html?vendor_id=26
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 May 2019 at 10:50PM
    I can see why SSD drives and RAM upgrades have been recommended to you, because they can give you a great deal of relief from slow hard drives, especially on ageing systems. However you didn't ask about hardware upgrades and given that this is a money saving forum, it seems ludicrous to throw good money after bad. Do bear in mind however, you might be able to transfer a SATA SSD drive to another PC, so all is not lost.

I would also exercise caution about buying cheap Windows 10 licenses. I will provide you this link for reading, but basically if something seems to good to be true, it often is. I expect other posters will pipe up saying how their threepence licenses has been running for ages - but I am just making you are aware of the issue. You might be able to buy one just long enough to tide you over until you upgrade.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I can see why SSD drives and RAM upgrades have been recommended to you, because they can give you a great deal of relief from slow hard drives, especially on ageing systems. However you didn't ask about hardware upgrades and given that this is a money saving forum, it seems ludicrous to throw good money after bad. Do bear in mind however, you might be able to transfer a SATA SSD drive to another PC, so all is not lost.

I would also exercise caution about buying cheap Windows 10 licenses. I will provide you this link for reading, but basically if something seems to good to be true, it often is. I expect other posters will pipe up saying how their threepence licenses has been running for ages - but I am just making you are aware of the issue. You might be able to buy one just long enough to tide you over until you upgrade.
    I simply have no faith or confidence in doing it. I realise this most probably is wrong. I have had issues upgrading various bits of tech in the past. The system is 12 years old. As soon as I have the funds it will be replaced. Also my printer does not work anymore so i will get a package that includes a printer if possible.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    I simply have no faith or confidence in doing it. I realise this most probably is wrong. I have had issues upgrading various bits of tech in the past. The system is 12 years old. As soon as I have the funds it will be replaced. Also my printer does not work anymore so i will get a package that includes a printer if possible.

How many 'packages' of a PC and printer have you seen in recent years?
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

You may as well give it a go if you are prepared to buy a new machine, what's the worst that can happen? You break a 12 year old pc you wanted to replace anyway?

You can download a copy of win 10 off the Microsoft website (an iso) and do a clean install. No need to activate windows 10 so it will be free. While not activated some personalisation cant be done and there is a little message on the bottom right of the screen but that's about it. I have not found it limiting at all to date.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • colejames
    colejames Posts: 12 Forumite
    Whenever you are having obstacles with Windows Update, the simplest approach you can attempt is to run the built-in troubleshooter. Running Windows Update troubleshooter restarts the Windows Update service and removes the Windows Update cache. ... In the System and Security section, click Fix problems with Windows Update.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure