Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 20th Mar 18, 4:00 PM
    • 326Posts
    • 645Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    I'm Getting Married in 2020 - Wedding Day Journey
    • 20th Mar 18, 4:00 PM
    I'm Getting Married in 2020 - Wedding Day Journey 20th Mar 18 at 4:00 PM
    I have booked my wedding for November 2020 and just wondered if there were any other Brides to be on here who would like to Join my diary.

My plan is to keep it updated with things that i have booked, created etc..
    It would be a great place to share tips and any different things we have seen.

If anything, it'll be great for me to write everything down and pretend i'm not talking to myself even if nobody joins in.
Page 1
    • kdalwayskint
    • By kdalwayskint 20th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 1,756 Thanks
    kdalwayskint
    • 20th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 20th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    Congratulations

Fingers crossed I'm a 2019 bride
    Saving for Christmas 2019 ~ 247.31/365
    Got married 24/05/19
    Car Fund 600/5000
    DFW Nerd #1155
    LBM 25/2/09 Debt at highest 8,037.35 now 0
    Credit Card 878/2500
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 21st Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    • 21st Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 21st Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    Oh Fantastic KD

Do you have anything planned yet?

I have an appointment with my chosen Venue on Saturday, just to go over some of my queries and place down my Deposit. - Tried to do this last week but the Sales Lady was off. Typical ha.

I have also booked an appointment with a photographer to see whether I love his previous work etc. I think i'll be happy to go with him though, I would also like a videographer...

There is so much to think about.
    I also need to shift some excess weight!
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 23rd Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    • 23rd Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 23rd Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    I have won a free facial from one of the Salons that was at a wedding fayre i attended so I am very happy about this.

They do bridal make up so this will be a good way to see what they can offer.
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 26th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    We have confirmed a time with our Registrar and paid the deposit with them.
    Deposit with the venue is taken care of.
    We have also booked our photography in.
    Plenty time to get saving!
    Everything just needs deposits!
    • xironsongx
    • By xironsongx 26th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    xironsongx
    • 26th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    We're die to get married , no date set.
    I'm working on our budget but there's so much I didn't include before and now it's looking so un-affordable

The Hubs 2 be wants to save the whole agreed budget before we book & pay for anything.
    We have enough for legal fees and a tad extra so far. I keep asking to plan the wedding then to wait then to plan... It's just because i'm extremely stressed about how we can afford it.

I'm mostly likely going to our own confetti, table cards & place cards as well as a cheap wedding dress - even if it's not an actual wedding dress. I've been looking at wedding rings out for no more than 150. The wedding will be Disney / Comic themed.

Posting here so I can keep up with you all and gain or share tips with how to make it more affordable.
    not properly wedding planning yet but i'm freaking out already!!
    Engaged 01-09-17 Wedding 519.78 (BA) 80.22 (Sp) / 5,600 5,000 left to save
    • aninvasion
    • By aninvasion 26th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    aninvasion
    • 26th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    I've been married nearly a year but willing to join in regardless

We did our wedding on the not-so cheap for 7000 give or take and it was lovely. We had a beautiful venue and saved on the big and little things, my veil only cost a tenner!

Anyone want some money-saving tips?
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 26th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    • 26th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    Welcome to my little blog both of you!

We haven!!!8217;t got anything saved up really, we have been lucky enough to have people take care of deposits for us but we will be saving from now. Because we!!!8217;ve chosen to get married in 2020, the money to pay for our wedding at the venue isn!!!8217;t due until 1 month before we we!!!8217;ve got quite a lot of time.

We are saving money everywhere we can. We are also making our own name cards, invitations, seating plan, menus etc.

There is a wedding dress outlet shop local to me which I!!!8217;ll be getting my dress from.

Shoes will just be nice ones from a retail shop rather than paying over the odds.
    • xironsongx
    • By xironsongx 26th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    xironsongx
    • 26th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    Anyone want some money-saving tips?

YEASSHH please aha

I'm not going to go stupidly expensive with my dress attire.
    I have a set limit... shoes ... I'll probably wear vans though I do want to customise them so I can add our marriage date / year on them & do it so it matches our theme for 60 but I'll decide near the time as that really depends on how much we got left I suppose.

Our original date was August/September 2020 then changed it to next september 2019,
    then I said to push back, obviously the hubs 2 be was annoyed and fed up with me at this point...

My mum gave us 500 to put towards whatever I wanted, and me & boo (my hubs2be) decided to put in the wedding savings fund. We did have 900 but I used a lot of it ...

I was ill and lost almost 300 pay and have a lot going on this month so needed it plus I was really depressed for 3 weeks and Treated to my sister to a night of bowling, we paid half and took some photos etc. which helped to perk me up (I was feeling super lonely and have a lot of personal stuff going on) . Usually I can just listen to music and have a cuddle but I've tried all these methods and other and nothing worked . I told him i used this money and he said as long as i had a good time and I feel better etc... then it doesn't matter.

I saw an venue that offers everything we want for 3,192.50 or 3,370.50 if we want to pay for our parents to stay over night...which I do want (It's 89.00 for 1 bedroom)

It includes;
    Room Hire
    Sumptuous three course meal with coffee and mints
    Arrival drinks
    Evening finger buffet
    Overnight stay in the magnificent Bridal Suite
    Silver cake stand and knife
    Services of our award winning professional Wedding Coordinator
    Red Carpet VIP welcome
    Complimentary chair covers and sashes
    Master of ceremonies
    Free parking
    include your choice of ceremony room or garden Gazebo and the following in addition to the above:
    Sparkling wine for the toast
    A half bottle of our house wine per person
    A selection of canap!s to accompany the welcome drinks
    Our resident DJ providing the music of your choice as well as the classic wedding tunes

But we have a few extra people for the evening which is why it's more than the package cost.
    But I recon not a lot of my family will go as I'm not inviting 1 of my cousins - my nan on my dad's side said she won't come if i didn't invite my cousin so that's 2 people down already. (We have a lot of bad history & after what happened last year...NO WAY is she coming - Boo don't want her there at all even if i did get on with her)
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 29th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    You're venue deal sounds very good ironsong Ours is 6500 in total for the venue and package.
    This includes us paying extra to have a choice menu and an extra drink on the table for each guest.

I have paid for a consultation with our Cake Lady, which we will have next Friday. This will be to talk cake and taste some too. Obviously OH is looking forward to that, as am i!

We have handed out our Save the dates also, which is very exciting.
    I have found it really difficult deciding who to invite as well. Even as we are handing out Save the Dates we find ourselves taking some away from our piles and leaving them as a maybe.
    • xironsongx
    • By xironsongx 30th Mar 18, 12:17 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    xironsongx
    I've put most of the money back into my wedding. I just want to save as much as I can for the wedding and hopefully I'll be earning some extra cash soon.

I've started purchasing some bits for the wedding.
    Confetti is sorted , brought all the bits for it and came to 7.50 though
    I may need to buy more tissue paper throughout this year to ensure there's lots for everyone.

I've found a few budget wedding dresses I love, one looks to be suited for me and only costs 68 but I'm not buying dresses yet - I fear this is the biggest thing I will stress about. Everything else i'm relaxed with.
    • Nicola83
    • By Nicola83 31st Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Nicola83
    This is an exciting thread!!
    Me and my other half are planning to get married in May 2020. We've only been engaged 6 weeks but want to get the ball rolling.
    We went to a wedding fayre on Thursday which was interesting, we're just trying to sort out a venue and then we can start looking at everything else. It's so hard trying to decide which place is next and which one offers the best deal.
    I already have some ideas, the hubby to be has given me total control of everything which is dangerous Haha!
    I want a navy blue theme so it matches my sapphire in my engagement ring, and some elements of Disney in too as we're both a little bit obsessed with anything Disney.
    We've already decided we're going to make our own invitations, place settings, table centrepieces etc because not only is it cheaper but it's more personal.
    I look forward to hearing everyones progress and tips for making our days as special and unique as we want.
    • dfbefore30
    • By dfbefore30 2nd Apr 18, 6:23 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    dfbefore30
    Ooh can I join? I've just booked my wedding for 6th June 2020!
    So far we've paid a 10% deposit for the venue. I need to book the registrar tomorrow, then that's probably it for this year. Doesn't stop me drooling over dresses online though!
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 3rd Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    Welcome Nicola and dfbefore, nice to see you here.
    I haven't been engaged for very long at all but we are getting there with the planning.
    Father in law to be and OH's stepmam have offered to pay for our cake and Suits
    My mam has offered to pay for photography and her and my dad have offered to pay for my wedding dress.
    Mother in law to be and OH's Stepdad have offered to pay for videography.
    we are unbelievably lucky and so grateful.
    It means we literally have venue, any decorations and my bridesmaids to care of.
    I've been looking a lot on Pintrest, but i haven't got my heart set on any centre pieces just yet. i don't think i have seen the one! Nicola my mam has agreed to create our invitations as well, along with all other stationary as that is her sideline hobby.

We have sent out our save the dates and agreed on our colour shceme.
    We are going Navy and Burgandy.

What about you guys?

DFBefore i have seen some gorgeous dresses online, i'd love to go and look in person but i know i want to lose weight beforehand so i feel more confident.
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 3rd Apr 18, 3:44 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    Yeah, I've heard that a lot and seen a lot of videos and i think watching it back every year would be lovely. or when OH is driving me round the bend or vice versa we can look back and appreciate each other.
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 5th Apr 18, 8:36 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    I ordered some gifts for my Maid of Honor and Bridesmaid to ask them the question.
    They have started to arrive just need to get it all together and then invite them round for a night and ask them. They already know, but i want to ask them officially so they have something to remember it by.

We have also got something really special planned for one of my OH's best men (he's having 3) but once we have pulled it off i will let you all know what it is.

I found it difficult choosing who i wanted, and kept toying with different ideas for my bridesmaids but i've settled at 3. My best friend from school, we've been friends now for 13 years. My other best friend from work, who i see outside of work regularly and we do couples nights. And my brothers girlfriend, however they are newly together and we have 2 years until the wedding so i think i'll wait till dress fittings when i ask her.
    What about you lovely lot?
    • Nicola83
    • By Nicola83 5th Apr 18, 10:39 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Nicola83
    HappyLassie it's a hard choice. I've decided on 3 bridesmaids, 2 being my sisters and then my maid of honour is a friend from work who I don't work with anymore but we see each other regularly.
    I have 2 young nieces as well, they'll be 10 and 5 when we get married so they're being flower girls.
    The OH isn't having a best man as his best friend who he would have asked sadly killed himself a few years back so he's just having 6 groomsmen and getting them to each say a little bit about him.

I went in to a dress shop today just to look at them etc, my god they're heavy! When it comes to actually trying some on I've no idea what I'll go for.
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 6th Apr 18, 8:10 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    Sounds like you'll have a lovely bridal Party Nicola
    aw that is awful, at least your OH has found a way around not replacing him but still including everyone.

I haven't looked in a shop yet, i have seen online the kind of styles that i like. I just do not feel confident enough with my weight yet to even try any on. My health kick has restarted so hopefully i can begin looking when i'm more prepared.
    • xironsongx
    • By xironsongx 8th Apr 18, 3:11 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    xironsongx
    I'm not wedding planning for mine anymore.

I purchased a laptop with the savings under the OK of the hubs to be plus it's not relay the right time for us as he is in the last stages of learning how to drive so he'd want to buy a car and insurance etc.. and I'm going through a rough spot at the minute; I keep getting depressed about my past & family and myself as my granddad has alzhimers and is in the last days/months. I'm waiting for that call. Every morning.

I still need to buy little bits for the house and I'm going to save for starting emergency fund now instead until the Mr can put in savings too. I will be saving money in my piggy bank for the wedding though.

Good luck & many happy returns xx
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 10th Apr 18, 9:13 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    You've just got to do whats right for you IronSong, i wish you all the best.

We picked our cake on friday night. We have opted for vanialla sponge and passionfruit for the bottom tier, Chocolate and salted Caramel for the Middle tier and Lemon drizzle for the top tier. I'm still thinking about having white chocolate and raspberry in there somewhere.
    Our design is done and the price is set. - Another weight off our minds.

955 days until our wedding day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,759Posts Today

6,589Users online

Martin's Twitter