Cavity wall insulation claim

Options
Hi, back in the summer I got a call out of the blue to say that a surveyor was in my area and would check my cavity wall insulation (which I had done in 2016 for free) for free.

He duly turned up (OH was there) and explained that we had loads of problems, the original company had gone bust and 'have you got the 25 year guarantee certificate' - YES.

We were entitled to have all the work done to fix it and compensation?

We explained we were having new windows so needed it done ASAP, 'Ill see what I can do'.

We haven't heard from anyone since and have no contact number. They were apparently from Countrywide, but I just rang them and was quickly rebuffed.

New windows are now in, so I really need it sorted.

I'm rubbish at this sort of stuff, so what is my next step? Do I just google Cavity Wall Insulation Claims and go from there?

Comments

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What are you claiming for? At the moment you've just got the word of some cold-calling salesman who says that there is 'something wrong' with something you had done for free.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The guy who visited you likely knew nothing about buildings or cavity wall insulation. He just collects names and addresses and sells them to no-win no-fee solicitors who sometimes try to put in claims for faulty cavity wall insulation.

If you have heard nothing, then probably no-one is interested in making a claim on your behalf.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with stator. This falls under the maxim: If you're not paying for the product, you are the product. It's the insulation equivalent of the cold caller that wants to talk to you about the car accident you may or may not have had.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What did he do to establish you had 'loads of problems'? What would you be compensated for (assuming you hadn't noticed these problems before his visit as if you had, one would assume you'd have already tried to contact the installation company)?
  • mikeeboy
    mikeeboy Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are numerous places of the paint lifting and a few cracks on my west facing outer wall at the side of the house.

I had a few windows with condensation.

Both signs of damp, so, I do believe I have issues due to the insulation whether the guy that visited was a charlatan or not.

Thanks for your help
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mikeeboy wrote: »
    There are numerous places of the paint lifting and a few cracks on my west facing outer wall at the side of the house.

I had a few windows with condensation.

Both signs of damp, so, I do believe I have issues due to the insulation whether the guy that visited was a charlatan or not.

Thanks for your help
    I'm not convinced those symptoms are a consequence of the insulation. I would check other things first, such as making sure you have adequate ventilation. Condensation is more likely to be from lack of ventilation, and excessive humidity may also be the cause of your paint lifting. The crack on the external wall could be caused by a number of things such as heave/subsidence. We have had some very hot, dry summers in the last few years and round here, the ground has shifted a lot.

Probably worth checking before you go to the expense/trouble of having the insulation checked out.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mikeeboy wrote: »
    Hi, back in the summer I got a call out of the blue to say that a surveyor was in my area and would check my cavity wall insulation (which I had done in 2016 for free) for free.
    so immediately alarm bells started ringing and you hung up on him, yes?

He duly turned up Whar? :eek: You actually let this stranger-on-the-phone come round?(OH was there) and explained that we had loads of problems, the original company had gone bust and 'have you got the 25 year guarantee certificate' - YES. and of course you got a professional 2nd opinion before doing or saying anything yes?

We were entitled to have all the work done to fix it and compensation? :rotfl:

We explained we were having new windows so needed it done ASAP, 'Ill see what I can do'. how nice of him.

We haven't heard from anyone since and have no contact number. well there's a surprise! They were apparently from Countrywide, but I just rang them and was quickly rebuffed. and there's another surprise

New windows are now in, so I really need it sorted.
    'it' ?? What you need to do is determine
    a) if you have anyproblems and
    b) whether they are related to the insulation or not

I'm rubbish at this sort of stuff, You're telling me! so what is my next step? Do I just google Cavity Wall Insulation Claims and go from there?
    No.

Get a couple of builders, or an independant damp surveyor (not one whosells damp proofing) to come and tell you what your problems are and what needs to be done.

Might be the insulation, but more likely something else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure